Your question

LGA-775 mainboard w/ weird PCI x16 compatibility problems

Tags:
  • New Build
  • PCI Express
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 3:32:04 PM

Edit: I see I posted this in the wrong category (must have mixed up tabs after registering, or the registration process itself returned me to back to this category for some reason which I originally visited) - sorry about that.

Hello. First time poster here.

I've got a G31TM-P21 motherboard which was bought some years ago on low-budget, as well as a Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU, a powerful but hard-to-uninstall CPU cooler (Cooler Master n520), had 2x 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks laying around, and a Sapphire Radeon HD 2400 PRO video card which should be a PCI-E x16 card.
However it doesn't fit!

It's a useless graphic card nowadays anyway, but I need to find out to trace the root of this problem so I can at least know that whatever PCI-E gear I buy will actually fit on the MB.
Picture provided below
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1318/imgp0396j.jpg
It's impossible to place it any further to the right without either moving the motherboard (which would displace all the other ports; USB, audio jacks, standard VGA, ++) or break the metal-part of the chassis on the right. And the two black-colored PCI ports (overshadowed by the video card on picture) doesn't even have the potential size/length for the card to fit into.
Is it probably just the chassis, and so I should just break it and see if it fits then? :p 

Further after fixing this physical incompatibility-issue, I would like to get a "Radeon HD 6850" video card (after first upgrading my PSU from a 300 WATT one to a 550), though this card is a PCI-E 2.1 card, and my PCI-E slot is 1.0. I Google'd a bit and people seemed to claim that the 6850 card and the 2.1 standard in general is backwards-compatible with a 1.0 PCI-E slot.
However they seemed not to agree about how much of a setback this would be, if the PCI-E 1.0 slot can provide enough power for the 6850 card to be useful at all as a video card.
Would appreciate if someone could perhaps clarify a little about this :p 

Thanks,
Viqing.

More about : lga 775 mainboard weird pci x16 compatibility problems

June 9, 2012 3:58:08 PM

I *THINK* your graphics card has an AGB, NOT a PCI-E interface.
It definetly is not an PCI-E interface.

Jim
June 9, 2012 4:00:07 PM

First, I'd clean the dust.

And the 6850 will work at the same speed PCI-E 2.0 x8. So there won't be a performance difference.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 9, 2012 4:07:31 PM

So if you take a look at the picture you took, check the sticker on the back of the card where it says 2400 and you will then see "AGP" :pt1cable: 
June 9, 2012 4:13:28 PM

jimpz said:
I *THINK* your graphics card has an AGB, NOT a PCI-E interface.
It definetly is not an PCI-E interface.

Jim

Ah, you're right! The store I bought it from says it's PCI-Ex16, but it says AGP (which I didn't know what was until now) on the card, and I remember the Box the card arrived in said it as well, and sapphire's websites says it too.
That explains it.

Thanks alot for your feedback!

@samuel
Yes, hillarious, I need a dust-cleaner :kaola: 
It hasn't been used in 4 years, so..

And this video card is designed for 2.1 x16, not x8, so how does that add up? (I don't understand)

@Super
Yeah, I didn't even know what AGP was though, but thanks for your comment ;) 
June 9, 2012 4:17:51 PM

Hehe no problemo. The 2400(and 2600, 36xx) came out during the transition period from AGP to PCIe. So the card could have been either.