HD6670 gone bad?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Battlefield
  • Resolution
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 1:20:49 AM

I was playing Battlefield 3 today when buildings started going invisible, reappearing and disappearing. I decided to restart my computer. After the restart, my resolution was stuck at 800x600. I tried changing the resolution to my normal 1600x1200 and it just tells me the input is not detected, then reverts back to 800x600.

Also, while booting windows, I notice a flicker of a couple white lines across monitor. I don't know if the card is dying, or dead, and if I should just start shopping for a new one. I bought this card about a year ago.

Almost forgot, this is an Asus HD6670

More about : hd6670 bad

April 12, 2012 2:10:28 AM

What kind of temperatures are you getting? But more importantly, are your drivers up to date? I've had a similar issue with an HD4670.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:05:25 AM

Around 60 degrees Celsius while playing BF3. I tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I just now wiped and reinstalled windows... problem persists.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 4:16:39 AM

Sounds like the card is dying.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:18:32 AM

aicom said:
Sounds like the card is dying.

Yeah :(  I agree, unfortunately.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:19:54 AM

That was a quick life if so. Only had it about 1 year. Any tests I can run to verify this?
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:43:19 AM

If you can get it to run at your native resolution, try running a GPU intensive benchmark. If it shows any artifacts, or crashes, it's most likely a dying GPU. My 4670 saw the same fate...It started displaying a lot of artifacts, screen tearing, and resolution changes. The fan didn't make any weird noises and the temperatures were still within reason, but it eventually died :/ 
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:55:34 AM

Update: I don't think it's the graphics card. I hooked my monitor up to my on-board card, yay, decent resolution! Installed some regular programs (chrome, malwarebytes etc), restarted, and now back to a big resolution and when I try to change it, it says the same "input not supported".
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:57:35 AM

uberbdon said:
Update: I don't think it's the graphics card. I hooked my monitor up to my on-board card, yay, decent resolution! Installed some regular programs (chrome, malwarebytes etc), restarted, and now back to a big resolution and when I try to change it, it says the same "input not supported".

Sorry I'm a bit confused on this...long day, care to explain for me? :sweat: 
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:03:12 AM

Sorry, long day for me too. The computer came with an integrated graphics card already in it. That not being enough power for most games, I bought and installed the HD6670.

Now, after reinstalling windows and it not fixing the problem that I discussed earlier, I switched over to use the on board graphics so I wouldn't be staring at an 800x600 resolution. Using the on integrated graphics card I was able to use a decent resolution, 1600x1280 or whatever. After installing a few programs and rebooting, I now have the same problem as when I was using my HD6670 for my display.
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:04:57 AM

uberbdon said:
Sorry, long day for me too. The computer came with an integrated graphics card already in it. That not being enough power for most games, I bought and installed the HD6670. After reinstalling windows and it not fixing the problem, I switched over to use the on board graphics so I wouldn't be staring at an 800x600 resolution. Using the on integrated graphics card I was able to use a decent resolution, 1600x1280 or whatever. After installing a few programs and rebooting, I now have the same problem as when I was using my HD6670 for my display.

Ah! I see, thanks for clearing that up :) 

Hmm it may be a driver conflict of some sort from the sound of it. I wonder what program is causing this.
What programs did you install exactly if you don't mind me asking? :) 

I remember a friend's laptop had an issue where her printer's drivers caused her to BSOD, and have weird graphical bugs. (Printer drivers interfering with graphic drivers...weird eh? :lol:  )
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:13:49 AM

From the time of my computer acting normal to the issue, nothing was installed. This is now a fresh install of windows and am having the same issue.
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:19:44 AM

Don't know if this could cause conflicts, but, after reinstalling windows, windows update found AMD drivers and installed them. After I installed, I went and downloaded AMD catalyst which I think installed drivers. Any chance this could cause a problem?
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:26:39 AM

Sigh...I went ahead and uninstalled Catylist Control Center. While the uninstall process was going, the monitor flickers on and off a few times, and eventually changed to 1600x1200. It asked me if I wanted to restart, I did, and now I'm back to 800x600. I have a feeling this is a simple fix but I just can't figure it out.
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:27:24 AM

uberbdon said:
From the time of my computer acting normal to the issue, nothing was installed. This is now a fresh install of windows and am having the same issue.

Hmm I see. This is beyond my knowledge :(  But I looked for some links that may help you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317841-33-resolution-...

I'm really starting to scratch my head on what could be causing this. Could you list your entire system specs if you don't mind? It may be some other component that's giving us this headache, but I can't be too sure.

I was gonna suggest rolling back drivers to a last known good one, but I saw that you mentioned that already, so that's not an option... :??: 
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:34:19 AM

wow...figured it out. I tried a different DVI cable, other one must've been faulty. I feel extremely stupid now. Thanks for the suggestions though, guys.
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:52:43 AM

Ahhh nice and easy fix. Glad you got it working! :) 
m
l
!