Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ultra's "X4" logo looks upside down...???

Last response: in Components
October 8, 2012 1:40:36 AM

Hello, I'd like to know why Ultra X4's name or logo stamped into the sides of their PSU's is upside down when you install it into a bottom mount case with the fan up? Everybody else's PSU case labels read upright whether it's mounted in the top or bottom. I'm being picky, but both of my PC's have clear side panels. TIA

More about : ultra logo upside

a c 150 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 2:47:21 AM

My guess would be that most enthusiasts mount their PSU on the bottom with fan facing down.
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:48:15 PM

clutchc said:
My guess would be that most enthusiasts mount their PSU on the bottom with fan facing down.

Yeah, I took that into consideration, but it seems all other PSU's configure their labels to read correctly with the bottom mount unit facing fan up.

I probably should refrain from mounting the X4 fan down because my Antec DF-35 mid tower has a solid bottom ...no vent (I read something about it meeting some fire safety requirement, but who knows...???). There's only about 6mm of space between the PSU case and the solid bottom of my Antec chassis. It might look good for a while ...and glow red! :cry: 

Thanks for the reply, clutchc!

-R
m
l
Related resources
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 10, 2012 11:13:57 PM

Fan down...Too bad my Antec HCG 620 logo is flipped. :(  I'm pretty sure it was fixed on the HCG-M 620.

m
l
October 10, 2012 11:37:50 PM

amuffin said:
Fan down...Too bad my Antec HCG 620 logo is flipped. :(  I'm pretty sure it was fixed on the HCG-M 620.

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/353/img36731.jpg

GREAT looking build, amuffin!

Just curious ...could you have run it with the fan up?

What effect would that have on cooling, and the cable routing?

Or... does your case only allow mounting the PSU in one direction due to mounting holes? Luckily, mine happens to allow it either way.

-R
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 10, 2012 11:43:45 PM

You could but considering no one is gonna be looking at your computer 24/7, I'd have the fan flipped downward.

Otherwise you'll have two fans competing for cooler air.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:07:12 AM

amuffin said:
You could but considering no one is gonna be looking at your computer 24/7, I'd have the fan flipped downward.

Otherwise you'll have two fans competing for cooler air.

Yeah, that's true.

Now, my stock GPU cooler will be fighting for some air but the card is as high up away from the PSU fan as possible ...at least 5" so probably not really a concern given all the air flow through my case.

I'm just being real picky about the looks of my stuff as I finish this build. That's on me. :lol:  I'll be the only one that cares, and I don't HAVE to use an Ultra X4, but just liked the features a lot.

-R
m
l

Best solution

a c 150 ) Power supply
October 11, 2012 12:13:00 AM

TheRepairMan said:
Yeah, I took that into consideration, but it seems all other PSU's configure their labels to read correctly with the bottom mount unit facing fan up.

I probably should refrain from mounting the X4 fan down because my Antec DF-35 mid tower has a solid bottom ...no vent (I read something about it meeting some fire safety requirement, but who knows...???). There's only about 6mm of space between the PSU case and the solid bottom of my Antec chassis. It might look good for a while ...and glow red! :cry: 

Thanks for the reply, clutchc!

-R

A bottom mount case with no vent? Amazing. I had to look it up to see for myself. I see several Antec cases have that lack. In that case, yes, fan up would be your best solution short of modding the case.
October 11, 2012 1:24:25 AM

clutchc said:
A bottom mount case with no vent? Amazing. I had to look it up to see for myself. I see several Antec cases have that lack. In that case, yes, fan up would be your best solution short of modding the case.

Oh yeah ...I even thought about drilling some hardy venting in the case floor beneath the power supply, but the feet are so short (1/4"), plus mine has to sit on a carpeted floor, so that's simply a no go.

I haven't settled on any particular PS yet. There are too many choices. The mid priced Corsair's 650 and 750 watt build specs and reviews look good. I may go that route.

-R
m
l
a c 150 ) Power supply
October 11, 2012 3:14:09 PM

If you haven't already done so, give Jonny Guru a look-see. He is one of the more knowledgeable reviewers of PSUs.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:29:53 PM

Best answer selected by TheRepairMan.
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:31:18 PM

That was very helpful. Thanks, clutchc!

-R
m
l