Sign in with
Your question

PC build advice

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 4:47:42 AM

Hi there, I'm new to building a pc, this would be my first build, and I'm in need of some advice and help building my machine.

I guess I should start by saying the purpose of this machine would be all-purpose performance. I intend to primarily be gaming on this machine but I'd also like to take on media projects with programs such CS5 on the side. My biggest wish for this machine is to be able to run most games and programs somewhat lag free. Also, I want to try to keep my budget around $1,400 but I'm not afraid or resistant to spending more.

That being said, I've got my processor, motherboard and GPU picked out and I'm fairly comfortable they'll live up to my expectations and then some but I'm not entirely sure of how compatible the parts I'll provide below are with each other. Also, I need some advice and recommendations when it comes to picking memory, HDD/SSD, power supply(PSU) and a cooling system.

Here's the parts I came up with so far;

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770k

GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower Case
http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-810ftcase-black.html

CD/DVD drive: anything that gets the job done.

HDD/SSD: anything with roughly 500GB space

I've gotten some advice about the missing parts that I'll go into detail a bit below

Memory: Triple Channel, sets of 3, low latency

PSU: Good brand, lots of watts, non-modular

HDD/SSD: SSD is more reliable but more expensive per GB than HDD's are.

Cooling system/heat management: Artic silver thermal paste, Hyper 212 EVO (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741)

Lastly, I thank you for taking the time to read this and help out if you do. I've mentioned everything I know so far about building a pc so if I've left anything out, please assume I don't know of it yet. I look forward to reading anything you've got to say so long as its constructive :D 

More about : build advice

June 9, 2012 5:20:48 AM

SSDs aren't necessarily more reliable than HDDs, but they are WAYYYY faster. I would think about getting a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD for your programs and Windows and a separate 500GB or 1TB HDD for your data that doesn't need to be accessed as quickly like documents and music. I'd step down to an i5 (which is barely slower) and save $100 which you can invest in the SSD. An SSD is the single biggest speed upgrade you can make on a PC since magnetic hard drives are typically a bottleneck when it comes to loading programs and booting Windows.

Also, as standard practice I'd invest in an external hard drive if you don't already have one for backing up your data! Hope this info helps.
June 9, 2012 5:28:25 AM

Only thing I see in error is the Memory. The CPU you picked out is a socket 1155 and that only uses up to Dual channel memory. Only socket 1366 uses triple channel memory. However, low latency is a good thing. Look at DDR3 1600 dual channel sets or faster if you plan to overclock. Here are a few good examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

For the PSU, a good 500-600W Corsair or Seasonic PSU would do well. i.e. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you plan to SLI the GTX 670 in the future then one around 650-750W would work well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
June 9, 2012 6:21:09 AM

I'd also throw in my aversion to that MSI motherboard (MB). Although it is feature rich, MSI's build quality and reliability history leave alot to be desired. I would recommend that you look at Gigabyte or Asus (not Asrock) for your MB.
June 9, 2012 2:47:02 PM

abekl said:
I'd also throw in my aversion to that MSI motherboard (MB). Although it is feature rich, MSI's build quality and reliability history leave alot to be desired. I would recommend that you look at Gigabyte or Asus (not Asrock) for your MB.

+1
Very good idea, we usually use Gigabyte although I do like ASrock as well for value boards.
June 9, 2012 3:45:21 PM

benji720 said:
...I'd step down to an i5 (which is barely slower) and save $100...

This will be an all-purpose machine so stick with that i7. If this was a gaming only machine, then i5 would be the better option.

abekl said:

+1

For the hard drives, I would recommend to get SSDs for Windows, programs and games and get normal 2TB/3TB drives for your data.
Personally I would recommend to look at the Intel 520 series SSDs, yes they are a bit more expensive but you get a 5yr warranty! And if you can, get 2x SSDs and set them up in RAID0 which will almost double the performance you get from them, trust me, it is worth it :) 

For the cooler I would recommend the Corsair H100 (or H80 depends on your case if you can fit the H100). The new Ivy-bridge CPUs runs very hot when overclocked and these coolers will keep your CPU at very reasonable temps.

And last for data security, you can get two normal 2TB/3TB drives and set them up in RAID1. That will give you data security and allow you to recover your data in-case your data drive fails.

NOTE: RAID is not a backup solution, just data security and peace of mind.

June 9, 2012 3:50:56 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
June 9, 2012 5:37:27 PM

zander1983 said:
This will be an all-purpose machine so stick with that i7. If this was a gaming only machine, then i5 would be the better option.

+1

For the hard drives, I would recommend to get SSDs for Windows, programs and games and get normal 2TB/3TB drives for your data.
Personally I would recommend to look at the Intel 520 series SSDs, yes they are a bit more expensive but you get a 5yr warranty! And if you can, get 2x SSDs and set them up in RAID0 which will almost double the performance you get from them, trust me, it is worth it :) 

For the cooler I would recommend the Corsair H100 (or H80 depends on your case if you can fit the H100). The new Ivy-bridge CPUs runs very hot when overclocked and these coolers will keep your CPU at very reasonable temps.

And last for data security, you can get two normal 2TB/3TB drives and set them up in RAID1. That will give you data security and allow you to recover your data in-case your data drive fails.

NOTE: RAID is not a backup solution, just data security and peace of mind.

For the sake of simplicity, because this is my first build, I think I might skip the fancy HDD/SSD configurations for now. I don't wanna overwhelm myself with setting up two SSD's with RAID0 and two HDD's with RAID1 and all that so I might just stick with a 500GB HDD for now due to currently having only a 140GB drive in my current craptop, its still a huge step up for me.

In the future though, I might add a SSD and boot windows from that as well as run my most used programs from there and keep everything else on my HDD

And thank you guys for all the advice, I really appreciate it! :D 
June 9, 2012 6:24:39 PM

First of all, why would you run SSDs in RAID 0?
!