Asus gtx560 and a fsp 400w psu?

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Hello Everyone,
I am about to order a asus gtx560 Directcu2 but im planning to stick it in a pc with a FSP (fortron) ATX-400PNF psu -
any thoughts on if it will actually run? the comp itself is a conroe e6600 @ 2.4 ghz / 4 gigs of hyperx ram,
and a single wd caviar harddrive - i am planning to do a total system upgrade in 2-3 months time
to something really powerful and possibly SLI gpu's so probably the smart thing to do would be to get a strong PSU that i can use for the next pc, however that is out of my current budget, and i see no point in getting one that's "just enough" so that i need to change it again later - do you think it will actually run this gpu? (i chose the 560gtx because as old as this PC is - it can run new games quite good actually, i had a 9800gt in it for a while and i was satisfied with what it did around half the resolution of my 1080p screen - and a 550ti dont seem quite enough since i want to run everything at 1080p
here are the specs of the psu:
w w w .fsp-power.ru/uploads/files/ATX-400PNF SPEC pdf.pdf

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
i read on some tests myself that this card could pull up to 220w under full load..
some other sites suggested the numbers around 180w,
i believe the card's official min requirement is 450w psu
my psu specs say that both 12v rails total output not exceed 348w,
and i dont use any cd/dvd roms, so i have enough cables to connect the two 6pin's
should i bite the bullet? - i'd need it to last only for a month really,

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
EVGA recommends 450 watts minimum so no. What you are trying to do here is quite risky. You will be pushing your psu to the limits and it will probably fail and go kamikaze on your components. 9800 gt has low power consumptions compared to the gtx 560.

For your build i recommend Something like this a Corsair cx600 v2 it's 60 dlls on amazon. Plenty of power for your needs.

If you want a modular and almost top notch quality then Get this seasonic 620 watt semimodular great psu for 90 dlls on amazon

I would say it will do it but you are cutting a bit close. the card does a max of 200w and generally the other parts of your system won't be above 150w but your psu might have degraded over time and thus could be insufficient.

If your doing a complete overhaul in a couple months I suggest holding off on the GPU upgrade until then.Nvidia will have released the rest of it's lineup,prices may drop and who knows you may want a different card by then.

But to answer your question no I don't think it will.

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

the trouble is i am running on integrated intel g41 right now and it's simply killing my nerves -
so i will most likely trade this one in and grab smth more powerful from the 6 series in a few months but now im in need of a fix so to speak! :)
well if the psu dies from this i woudlnt be concerned but if it can fry other components i wont push my luck,
im only hoping it would be fine since the cpu is rated at 65w and all i have is one hard drive there

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
see now im intrigued to just try it out and post results here - more fun for everybody! i guess will see after the weekend,
on a small sidenote - is there a difference in connecting the 6pin adapters to different 12v rails instead of the same one? atleast on these lower-end psu's? (im a noob at this)

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
in short - yes

since Amps = Watts divided by Volts.
and the psu specs say:
+12V1DC & +12V2DC total output not exceed 348w (max. load on each 18A)
(3.3+5+12+12 tot. not. exc. 385w)
i have max 29A on the 12v rails?
~i guess the thing has a 70% overall efficiency at max loads.. 100.000 hour reliability
at least if any of that information is actually true

from EVGA site:
Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)

now if my cpu eats 65w (max?) .. harddive WD1600AAJS read/write 9.5W
Asus P5QPL-AM motherboard - (some low power cons. babble on asus website)

seems to me unless this thing has caught depression over the few years of use
under a mostly low power system (most time spent w/o dedicated gpu - no overclocking)
it should run?... or it still won't? or we simply can't tell?

That's the thing with multi-rail PSU's.The amps on each rail don't add up the same as a single rail PSU.Each rail can only deliver a certain amount of power.They are separate not together.EVGA recommends 24 amps on a single rail.And since you don't know what's connected to each rail it makes it difficult to add up the power usage.That's why I don't like multi-rail PSU's.

Tech specs says it will work but I don't trust it.Honestly it's a piece of junk.

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

well the 560 is quite a bit more power efficient... i think the 460 eats some 40-70watts more...
but yeah - i think we've established here that this is a rather stupid idea unless i want to connect it
and only look at how smooth windows aero scrolls :)

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
hmm - do these cards work with power cable disconnected?
my 9800gt did have that option (8800's didn't) ... it just ran on lower performance
but games were quite playable - that would be fine for a few weeks till i get a decent psu...

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
well that's still under question, all about the budget ill gather,
also i want to see what goes on with the new lga2011 platform in the coming months (will there be smth else?)
- aren't there some new intel cpu's supposed to come out?
pretty sure i will be grabbing a i7 with some OC'd ram - how powerful time will tell,
i do know that while mainstream quality brand motherboards provide all you need they only do "just that" -
my current one is great and small but i cant overclock over ~13% with it cuz it wont let me adjust cpu's voltage -
so i just leave it alone altogether, in general im a no-overclock kinda guy but this system will need to last me a few years so...
no saving pennies on mobo, next problem is -
i use the pc both for work and fun, and due to my timezone i work mostly at night -
quiet cooling will be necessary, currently i run a Zalman CNPS9500 AT (since ~2007 without a single problem)
might even be able to flip it over to the new platform if they sell a changeable bracket for that
- on max fan power i dragged both cpu cores down to 16 degrees celsius just by opening the window -
25 - 35 degrees in silent mode, so im a believer in these products :)
(i'd probably save a few pennies and get the gtx560 with the directcu1 instead of 2nd gen cooler but i hear those have a noisy fan on idle)
an SSD will most likely be a must for system and a regular 1TB or so for storage,
basically i want a system that will be able to multitask - possibly a two monitor setup so i can run a game but keep my eye on what goes on on the desktop and
be able to switch fast, i do flip through quite a few websites and use remote desktop and voip phones for work at the same time.. that kinda thing
- need that fast response, i will want to upgrade to smth higher than the 560 later on because i dont have time to game alot -
but when i do im quite the eye candy maniac..
(i played crysis mostly for the graphics and to walk around punching trees and runnin through the woods enjoying how the shadows move :D)
just never in the past devoted enough budget for it, so if i end up with loud cooling i might want some watercooling added to the bundle...

and this is why it'll be impossible to choose the PSU now ... or ill just have to go for smth bigger and more expensive

also here in Latvia prices are not as nice as in usa.. for instance the corsair 600w psu mentioned aorund $60 on amazon is over 90 here from trustable retailers
for the big build i might order some stuff from other countries but for now that's too complicated,

gpu should be here on monday or tuesay till then ill figure out what to do

fun stuff - read about the oc'd 9800gt 1gb on gigabyte's website and it said - a 500w psu is a MUST! .. now that's a bit of a overstatement i think...

It's not impossible to choose the PSU now.It's the one part(besides the case)that doesn't have to be upgraded and lasts the longest.A simple 650watt should be fine for now and the future.Graphics cards are going to consume less and less power as time goes on so don't worry about not being able to support the next generation of GPU's.

Yes,like I said before both Nvidia and AMD grossly overstate how much power is needed.The card itself doesn't consume more than 110watts.Which means you don't really need more than a 350watt quality PSU.They do that because lots of PSU companies cut corners and false advertise.And they don't want to get sued for something the PSU companies did.

That's why I don't like multiple rails.You can't just add up the amps on the +12/v rail.You have to go by what the PSU lists the +12/v rail can deliver.That can be troublesome sometimes because not all PSU makers provide you that important fact.

I just find it a lot more simple with a single rail.