My refrigerator cycling on/off turns my PC on from sleep

I tried every outlet and still get the same results. I do have the PC connected via a surge protector which is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120403

So, should I be worried about this and how do I fix the situation without returning the compact refrigerator for a new one [only a month old]?
7 answers Last reply
More about refrigerator cycling turns sleep
  1. otaku3230 said:
    I tried every outlet and still get the same results. I do have the PC connected via a surge protector which is this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120403

    So, should I be worried about this and how do I fix the situation without returning the compact refrigerator for a new one [only a month old]?

    may want to put a large apc in from of the surge supperso so when the frig kicks on the pc does not see any line voltage drop.
  2. you need UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulator)
    here just example
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842107019

    or stand alone unit like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812541004


    any other UPS or device without AVR feature will do you no good.
  3. smorizio said:
    may want to put a large apc in from of the surge supperso so when the frig kicks on the pc does not see any line voltage drop.


    by apc you mean UPS right?
  4. duxducis said:
    you need UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulator)
    here just example
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842107019

    or stand alone unit like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812541004


    any other UPS or device without AVR feature will do you no good.


    But does having the refrigerator turning PC on from sleep harm my PC in anyway?
  5. if you plug PC into AVR device it should stop any waking all together

    for the waking from sleep part it bit puzzling, question does PC simply wake up or does it restart?
    voltage drops from refrigerator should not harm anything, PSU designed to handle that.

    also for sleeping problem try and go Control Panel>System>Device Management
    in there find your mouse right click and select properties>Power Management tab

    Unchecked Allow this device to wake the computer do same for keyboard

    it could be that refrigerator shakes your mouse waking PC up, also wake by mouse very unpredictable as well
  6. duxducis said:
    if you plug PC into AVR device it should stop any waking all together

    for the waking from sleep part it bit puzzling, question does PC simply wake up or does it restart?
    voltage drops from refrigerator should not harm anything, PSU designed to handle that.

    also for sleeping problem try and go Control Panel>System>Device Management
    in there find your mouse right click and select properties>Power Management tab

    Unchecked Allow this device to wake the computer do same for keyboard

    it could be that refrigerator shakes your mouse waking PC up, also wake by mouse very unpredictable as well


    1. It only wakes up from sleep every time

    2. My PSU is Corsair 850TXV2. Is that good enough to handle the PC turning on from sleep cuz of refrigerator?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022&Tpk=Corsair%20850TXV2

    3. My pc is on a different room than the refrigerator and I did turn off the power management [except the keyboard since I do need that to turn pc on from sleep]
  7. bump
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Surge Protector Components Product