First Post and First Computer Build

1031Vulcan

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hello everyone, just registered since this is nearly undisputed top place for the help and discussions I'm looking for. I'm going to be building my first computer, I've seen the newegg official video of how-to, and will rewatch it as I build my rig. This is it here:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27396248

I'm just wondering if there's anything like major flaws with compatibility, any suggestions or substitutions, and if anyone has had good results with something similar. I am doing this to go from PS3 to PC gaming, since I really do enjoy the games I can run now. I can't really run them well, but a mouse for aiming and such feels SO right. As such, I'll need something to run games like: TF2, L4D2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: CS, GTA IV, and Crysis; and to be able to run some current and future games like: Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, etc. I doubt with these I'll be able to run to-be-released games and BF3 like I want to, so ANY sort of suggestions are encouraged. I don't really have a budget, but I'd really like to keep it under $1,000. I only have $350 now, and it will take a while to get the rest. I'll likely order these all from newegg, but if someone can find a lower price on another site I'd like to know about it.

Your parts are compatible and you have what it take to finish a complete system.
The case you've chosen is too large a part of your total budget to be in balance, IMO.
A good $50 gives you the same gaming performance as a $90 case.

That gives you $40 to add to your graphics card budget which is where it can make the most difference.

1031Vulcan

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks WR2, I got the full because a PC-knowledgeable friend said to go full over mid, but I'll look into a smaller one. I thought it was a good price, it's way less than other full sizes I've seen.

Another question to anyone reading this thread: I'm considering going with a FX-6100 Zambezi over the Phenom II. I've seen several comparisons but some say one's faster, some say the other is. I I won't be doing much on this new comp. besides gaming, misc. software and obviously internet browsing. I want whichever is fastest and best for games, and which is better to overclock because there's no doubt I'm doing that.

1031Vulcan

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Nevermind, people. I've done a little more digging and I think the Phenom II Black is easier to overclock and general run games, so I'll stick with that unless anyone explicitly states otherwise.

A micro-ATX board in a full tower system is a bit of a mis-match.

We tend to think of the FX-6100 Zambezi as a 3 core CPU based on it's performance.
And we like Phenom II X4 965 a lot better in gaming builds.

1031Vulcan

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks again to everyone here, really has helped me, but I need one more thing (for now). My motherboard's video port is d-sub. My monitor's input as well as one of my graphics card's output is dvi-d. Will I need d-sub connectors, or will I only need to connect my graphics card to my monitor? to work right?