Sign in with
Your question

XP hdd from old machine wanting to put in mew machine

Last response: in Components
October 8, 2012 2:29:33 AM

Hello,
I am building a new machine (first timer) and my current hdd has XP on it and I was wanting to plug it in and use in my new new machine so I can buy a new os online. I'm in education and can get 7pro inexpensively online. My new hardware is:

Processor - i5 3570
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory - MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
Video - HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
PSU - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W Intel ATX 12V V2.3 & SSI EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Panel Power Supply with Fan Control

Thanks in advance and let me know what else I need.

James
October 8, 2012 2:37:58 AM

If your intention is to boot to the old XP O/S in the new computer, you will not be able to. The old XP installation is expecting to see the old motherboard and other associated hdwr it was install with. As a result it will fail. If, on the otherhand, you are just wanting to install the drive in the new machine and use it to clean install the new Win7 O/S on it, you can do that... assuming the drive is a SATA drive and not an PATA drive. The new motherboard has no provision for PATA.
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:39:06 AM

There's almost no chance that it'll work without a reinstall of Windows, and reinstalling XP on a new machine is difficult because you have to load the SATA drivers before it will even install. No issues with that for Win 7.

I'd say wait until you get Win 7. Much easier, especially if you're not sure what I'm talking about with the SATA drivers.
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:51:34 AM

thanks to both of you...much appreciation
m
l
!