Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 560 ASUS DCU2 500WATT enough?

Last response: in Components
Share
October 8, 2012 3:44:19 AM

Hello guys. I have a FSP 500watt gold 80+ power supply. I am wondering if it is enough to power my i7 2600k and my 8gb of ddr3 1333 ram. I also have a gtx 560 DCU2 and 1 hdd and 1 ssd.

Please respond quick. I have no overclocks at all and i dont chuck a lot of usb devices into my computer. just a mouse and keyboard. also i have no PCI cards.

If it does not have enough power, Please teach me some tips and tricks to lower power consumption. Not just tell me. Please describe how to do it as i am new to this.

I seen Linus tech tips on utube using a 500watt with a 7970 and an i7. He says it is okay. And the requirements state a 500watt. Mine is a gold certified supply so i think it is okay. But i just want you guys confirmation to be very sure.
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 3:45:31 AM

Yes!
In fact it's plenty!
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 3:45:57 AM

Yeah, it's fine.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 3:46:15 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, it's fine.

26 seconds. :whistle: 
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 3:46:42 AM

amuffin said:
26 seconds. :whistle: 


:lol: 
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 3:54:56 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies. I feel much at ease now. But could you please tell me if this guy on youtube is trolling me or something because i was asking him about this topic. He seems like a good guy but he says my psu is not enough. Let me copy and paste the whole message he sent me. Could you guys please take the time to read it and tell me if my psu is enough? I am terribly worried.


The power consumption of just the 560 is 135W, with nothing running just for it being powered up, under load it takes 285W. A 250W power supply maybe able to power up just a 560, with no motherboard, no CPU, no hard drives, nothing.

A 2600k take 77W to power up, under load with no overclock it take 160-170W under load using prime95 and 140W under regular gaming conditions. Those number are just for the cpu not the motherboard not the DRAM.

Those numbers are straight from intel ark and the nvidia site. They are right. Using this http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine it recommends 326W for just the CPU and GPU. However that site doesn't take into account PSU efficiency a 500W PSU can't provide 500W of power to a system, the best 500W PSUs can provide 450-460Ws, the average 500W PSU will provide about 400W.

Lack of power generally results in full system crashes or blue screen, if that persists then normally the fuse in the PSU dies next, if you replace it, then it's generally the GPU bricking it's self.

A good PSU lasts ages, it's something that you should really consider getting even if you have to get a worse CPU or GPU, as you tend to upgrade those more frequently.

The Xonar STX draws between 6-12W so not a massive amount but if you are already near or over your PSUs limit then you are playing with fire.

There are no systems that possibly draw 1500W yet lots of people buy 1500W PSUs, under powering your bits is an excellent way to brick them, people who understand this generally do everything they can to avoid it. I have bricked some very expensive FPGAs by under powering them had I have used a slightly better PSU I would have saved a who bunch of time and money so I now always advocate getting the best possible PSU you can, not just the bare minimum.
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 3:58:21 AM

My rig consists of:
i7-2600k @4.5ghz/1.31v
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
16gb Patriot DDR3 Sector 7
Custom Watercooling
1x EVGA 560ti 448 Cores FTW Edition 918mhz
Antec HCG 620W
Cooler Master CM 690 ii advanced
1tb Hitachi 7200RPM

Under full load it draws 400W. (measured with kill-a-watt)
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 4:01:03 AM

amuffin said:
My rig consists of:
i7-2600k @4.5ghz/1.31v
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
16gb Patriot DDR3 Sector 7
Custom Watercooling
1x EVGA 560ti 448 Cores FTW Edition 918mhz
Antec HCG 620W
Cooler Master CM 690 ii advanced
1tb Hitachi 7200RPM

Under full load it draws 400W. (measured with kill-a-watt)



So you are saying that that guy is wrong? But i went to look up the gtx 560 it takes over 200 watts at load.
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:01:09 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
The power consumption of just the 560 is 135W, with nothing running just for it being powered up, under load it takes 285W.


I didn't even need to read anymore after that. That's not even close.

A normal non-overclocked 560 has an absolute maximum draw of 150W http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:02:35 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
So you are saying that that guy is wrong? But i went to look up the gtx 560 it takes over 200 watts at load.

m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:03:10 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
So you are saying that that guy is wrong? But i went to look up the gtx 560 it takes over 200 watts at load.


Absolutely. A normal gaming load for your system (everything combined) should be in the 250-300W range.
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 4:06:33 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Absolutely. A normal gaming load for your system should be in the 250-300W range.


I see. But when will my system go to maximum load? My graphic card gaming shows 100% core usage. Is this supposed to be a normal gaming load?
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:08:31 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
But the graph says "average power consumption" When you are playing games like bf3, does the card use its maximum power or the average power in the chart? When im playing bf3 it goes to 100% card utilization so i think u need to use the max power consumption chart


Read my reply above yours, but the only time you would even come close to 500W with that system is with an absolute max overclock on both the CPU and GPU at the same time and if you stress test them at the same time.
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:10:26 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
I see. But when will my system go to maximum load? My graphic card gaming shows 100% core usage. Is this supposed to be a normal gaming load?


Stress testing only. ~100% gaming load is actually not really anywhere close to true max load (not always a solid 100%, when a stress test will be a solid, continuous load).
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 4:11:00 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Read my reply above yours, but the only time you would even come close to 500W with that system is with an absolute max overclock on both the CPU and GPU at the same time and if you stress test them at the same time.


OHHHH i see. So final comfirmation. Is my system running totally fine? and i am not doing damage to my PSU right? Thanks all and how do u get that banner below your message
m
0
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:14:23 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
OHHHH i see. So final comfirmation. Is my system running totally fine? and i am not doing damage to my PSU right? Thanks all and how do u get that banner below your message


Yeah, you're fine.

And for the sig banner, go to your profile and go to Forum Options. You'll be able to edit your sig there.

My banner is my CPU-Z Validation, and it gives you a banner link when you Validate.
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
October 8, 2012 4:14:28 AM

It's plenty.


Go to your profile and enable signatures.
m
0
l
!