Your question

Help building my system 2012

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
June 8, 2012 2:11:35 AM

First off: I build a system for long term. Usually about every ten years. So, I want my system to last the test of time yet still be able to play the latest games. So, I don't want to go barebones since later it will be obsolete and unable to play the great games. But, really can't afford alot. So far I have;
Gigabyte Mid tower case
Corsair builder series 600w psu
sata hdd and dvd/cd rw..... these are not so important as they are easy to upgrade for very little
and...... I'm bidding on mobo's
have a slew of ASUS Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO PCIe 3.0 in a list with finger on bid button so, pretty sure I'll get one. As far as I can tell, the other P8Z68 types just have some extra bells an whistles I'm not even sure if there is a difference really...... this board seemed to have what I'd need.
While I DON"T plan to OC my board or do SLI, I don't want to close myself out of that loop either since someday my machine may need it to keep up with the newest games. Please recommend me a good processor... good enough to do the job and not leave me behind the curve... again.. i'm not into tweaking and oc'ing so that aspect doesn't really justify the cost of the more expensive items..... Someone might give some input tho if I'm wrong and better off spending more.

Side note... currently will be running my gt440 gpu and can't justify the $ on the latest greates gpu's since I've seen NOTHING that requires anything that spectacular... was thinking of the GTX460 down the road. Anyone sees that as a big mistake or anything please speak up.

Thanks to all who take time to read this and especially those with input. All help and opinions appreciated.

PS: prefer Intel and Nvidia. I play games like KOTOR, MASS EFFECT, DDO, RPG style... you get idea.. like mmo's but this monthly subscription cost is not my cup of tea... oh yeah and DEFINITELY will be getting Witcher 2

More about : building system 2012

June 8, 2012 2:51:49 AM

if you got the P8Z68-V PRO motherboard already and it's hard to return/swap, then your only choice would be Sandy Bridge processors. For that, I'd advise you to get the i5 2500K (even if you insist on not overclocking, just get this instead of 2500 in case you change your mind - you won't regret).
As for the GPU, I REALLY suggest you getting the new 600 series if you want Nvidia - they are very power efficient while providing you with great performance. For budget high-end, you can wait for the GTX 660. Or, for mid-range (still good), you can get the GT 645 (or wait for the GTX 650).
(I'm not sure if they're actually gonna be called 660 or 650, but some number around that :D  )

So bottom line, imo, get the i5 2500 or 2500K if you got the motherboard (If you haven't, get a Z77 mobo and the i5 3570 or 3570K). For the GPU, get GT 645 (or 650/660 when they come out).

Good luck.
m
l
June 8, 2012 3:00:51 AM

Nothing you build today or this year or next year will last 10 years. Sure games will become a slideshow at some point, if that is acceptable to you, then maybe. And instead of looking at ebay, if you are around a Microcenter, you can snag some great deals on Intel and mobo combos. Newegg is also pretty good for stuff price wise.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2012 3:02:57 AM

Anonymous said:
First off: I build a system for long term. Usually about every ten years. So, I want my system to last the test of time yet still be able to play the latest games. So, I don't want to go barebones since later it will be obsolete and unable to play the great games. But, really can't afford alot. So far I have;
Gigabyte Mid tower case
Corsair builder series 600w psu
sata hdd and dvd/cd rw..... these are not so important as they are easy to upgrade for very little
and...... I'm bidding on mobo's
have a slew of ASUS Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO PCIe 3.0 in a list with finger on bid button so, pretty sure I'll get one. As far as I can tell, the other P8Z68 types just have some extra bells an whistles I'm not even sure if there is a difference really...... this board seemed to have what I'd need.
While I DON"T plan to OC my board or do SLI, I don't want to close myself out of that loop either since someday my machine may need it to keep up with the newest games. Please recommend me a good processor... good enough to do the job and not leave me behind the curve... again.. i'm not into tweaking and oc'ing so that aspect doesn't really justify the cost of the more expensive items..... Someone might give some input tho if I'm wrong and better off spending more.

Side note... currently will be running my gt440 gpu and can't justify the $ on the latest greates gpu's since I've seen NOTHING that requires anything that spectacular... was thinking of the GTX460 down the road. Anyone sees that as a big mistake or anything please speak up.

Thanks to all who take time to read this and especially those with input. All help and opinions appreciated.

PS: prefer Intel and Nvidia. I play games like KOTOR, MASS EFFECT, DDO, RPG style... you get idea.. like mmo's but this monthly subscription cost is not my cup of tea... oh yeah and DEFINITELY will be getting Witcher 2

since you like intel i would shoot for a good i5 2500k or i7 2700k. if you have a cheap socket 1155 you can drop in there and upgrade the bios i would look to a ivy bridge equivalent. the I5 series is soon to be the standard for newer more demanding games. the i7 should give your more "future proofing" with the hyper threading but not by a huge amount. for instance arma 3 a new game to be released soon requires an i5 on its recommended specs. but before your get bent out of shape over the K series i recommended keep in mind your are wanting "future proofing" well the K series is normally the fastest stock you can get for that class then it also give the option for overclocking when the CPU stock just isnt enough later down the road.

if the bump for an unlocked core is just to much i would still shoot for at least a i5 2500 minimum.

the cpus list for your mobo with bios updates.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

edit
oh and for the GPU if quality is not an issue i would run ur current GPU until it needs an upgrade then shoot for a good $100-$200 card of the current generation. if you want to upgrade now go for a gtx 600 series.
m
l
Anonymous
June 8, 2012 10:54:10 AM

Ok, yeah, exaggerated the ten year deal... of course I do minor upgrades along the way. But, for instance, I'm still running an ASUS P5K SE that I bought 6 years ago with the same duo core processor and a gt440 gpu (bought last year) and able to play most games. So, yeah I'm at that point where a major upgrade is needed for the latest games coming out now. I will research the Z77 boards. Thx for tips. Been studying the latest "core" processors and generation 3 is seeing some good improvements. For now though maybe I should go for the 2500k as suggested.
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:50:04 PM

Anonymous said:
Ok, yeah, exaggerated the ten year deal... of course I do minor upgrades along the way. But, for instance, I'm still running an ASUS P5K SE that I bought 6 years ago with the same duo core processor and a gt440 gpu (bought last year) and able to play most games. So, yeah I'm at that point where a major upgrade is needed for the latest games coming out now. I will research the Z77 boards. Thx for tips. Been studying the latest "core" processors and generation 3 is seeing some good improvements. For now though maybe I should go for the 2500k as suggested.

if your getting the Z68 board you listed then go for the sandy bridge i5 2500(k) or better
if your are going to get a z77 or any 75 or 77 series boards go ivy bridge with a i5 3570k or better and you should be set for at least a couple years.
m
l
June 8, 2012 7:30:07 PM

Way 1 --- Using PCIe 3.0
1. Intel i5-3570K
2. Asus P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3
3. GTX 660(when it comes out)

Way 2 --- Using PCIe 2.0
1. Intel i5-2500K
2. Asus P8Z68-V Pro(may or maynot be GEN 3)
3. GTX 560 Ti

Way 3 --- Using PCIe 2.0,no OC
1. Intel i5-2400
2. Asus P8Z68-V LE
3. GTX 560 Ti

I dont think theres any need of Z77 when Z68 supports PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0,the plans are arranged in descending order of prices.You did not mention at what resolutions you game.AT low resolution CPU must be stronger,going to higher resolutions load shifts more to GPU.Do mention your budget.The need of PCIe 3.0 should not be your headache,but it future proofs your rig as you say for those long terms.Right now GPUs cannot saturate PCIe 2.0 fully.Do choose wisely,cuz if you take a rig for 6 years dont go too cheap,you are sure to loose in long run.Also do add more details like budget,resolutions prefferred.
Happy gaming!! :) 
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2012 3:46:49 AM

Well, for now the mobo and cpu is the issue. Trying to do so for around 2-250 at most. Which is why I been hitting ebay. Had a P8z68-v pro in grasp for 49$ and got beat out in last 10 seconds someone jumping the bid to $63 =( GPU I can get by with gt 440 for now and that will be something to tackle down the road. Definitely shooting for gen 2 i5-2500k and have a bid on a new one. After getting beat out on more than 10 ASUS boards in last few minutes, getting tired of it. Found a used (but good) MSI z68-gd65 (g3) I could pick up for $80 and might go for that.... especially after reading up on it... if I understand it right.. it can run two cards in PCIe x16 slots @ x16.. not for sure on that. But, as mentioned, the gen3 boards should be my focus for longevity. I think I'll manage to get a good mobo for decent price.... the hardest part is the i5 @ $250 ish new and few to bid in auction on... ouch. Have not got into hardcore gaming resolutions...... yet... and that will be something to experiment with down the road.. just been running 19" flatscreen monitor at 1024 x 768... lol.. cuz things on screen get too small for me in higher res.. later will look into bigger, better setups for screen
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:13:18 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!