Custom Case Project

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi everyone,
I have been looking around at various cases for a serious CAD/ANSYS/Solidworks workstation (with some gaming server use and everyday use) especially in regards to custom watercooling, multiple drives and possibly dual Xeons. Unfortunately, despite there being some great options out there, each one falls short in some way and at this level is also understandably quite expensive. For example, the TJ11 and TJ07 are top of the line, however, there will always be some wasted space and I would prefer to make only the necessary holes for tubes and cables for a very clean minimalist system. This thought was inspired by Linus' 2012 Personal Rig series on youtube and look like fun. So, I have an idea for a project and wonder if anyone else on this forum has given it a go.

Have any of you built or tried to build a custom case from raw materials (Aluminium Plate, Perspex, Varnished Wood, Kryptonite......) and what problems or successes did you have? Any pictures would be great. I am not planning to undertake this until after I graduate from Mechanical Engineering and can actually afford this, so this discussion is mainly just for fun and to show off. :D