Sign in with
Your question

FTP allternitive for file sharing?

Last response: in Networking
June 17, 2011 6:06:18 AM

I have been using FTP (with FileZilla as my server) to share family pixs and videos, work stuff ect.. for a long time now. I have been wondering if there is a better way to share files? FTP is hard for non-tech people to use, they don't get you need a FTP:// and not an http://, you need a FTP client to get the full potential of FTP, stuff like that) and FTP security by it's self sucks. I have tried FileZilla's secure FTP but you need a FTP client to access anything, and I would like to just use a browser for the non-techy people.

So at the moment I am looking at HTTPS, I have server 2008 with IIS installed and setup for directory browsing. I am not of website maker so I am trying to stay basic, as far as interfaces go. I am using windows Authentication, So i just type my windows user name a password in and I am in. It is all up and running but I have one problem
Permission work the same as in windows, If they don't have access to a file they can't access the file. But is there a way to hide the file if they don't have permissions to see the file? Because it still shows up in the list of directories they just can't access it, It just looks kinda stupid for work clients to see a Family videos folder or Game mods in the list or directories. Where in FileZilla I make my own home directory for each users, is there a way to do that here?
Also is there an easy way to upload files to the web server? (It isn't necessary it is just nice to have that option)

I also stumbled across webdav, would that be more of what I am looking for? Haven't even looked at it yet just wondering.

Any suggestions please throw them out there

Thanks
June 17, 2011 6:50:31 AM

Emerald said:
if you like a FREE solution try one of these NAS systems

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7153/1

Is there a way have one of those NAS system to access a shared folder on my server then send it to HTTPS? That is the only way it would work in my setup I have.
I have my server running Vmware ESXi, and all the harddrive are full with my win 2008 vm's virtual data drives, There is enough room to install a few virtual machines but not enough to store alot of data, so the data would need to be stored in the virtual data drives, and only my win 2008 server VM can access them.
Related resources
June 17, 2011 10:39:10 AM

If you put the files out in the cloud with Dropbox or Sugarsync you can share them and have a backup of your files. Both of these services sync up the files on your server that you configure to be sync'd with there servers out in the cloud.

I use Sugarsync

Kenzo
June 17, 2011 9:02:18 PM

kbartke said:
If you put the files out in the cloud with Dropbox or Sugarsync you can share them and have a backup of your files. Both of these services sync up the files on your server that you configure to be sync'd with there servers out in the cloud.

I use Sugarsync

Kenzo

I have tried dropbox, it is good for power points and documents small files like that, but I would like more space, then 2GB, Yes I could pay dropbox or Sugersync or other cloud people for more space, but I have a server with 2.5TB (Most of that is backup), bought and that I am paying power on to run it 24/7 and I have a internet connection I am already paying for. So I figure why pay even more when what I have now can work, just needs some setup.
And plus it never hurts to learn new things :) 
It also sounds cools when you can say, "Oyeah you can just download that off of my home server"
June 17, 2011 11:06:37 PM

Well speaking of home server you should look into Windows Home Server. It has plugins that allows you to stream anything. I bought an Acer and loaded it with 2 TB hard drives. It will back up your video collection and other important files. Think of it as your own cloud.

Kenzo
June 20, 2011 9:50:24 PM

kbartke said:
Well speaking of home server you should look into Windows Home Server. It has plugins that allows you to stream anything. I bought an Acer and loaded it with 2 TB hard drives. It will back up your video collection and other important files. Think of it as your own cloud.

Kenzo

yeah those are cool, I hope they last, I heard like HP stopped making them or something. I think Acer is only that is making them now. :(  I think you can buy the Windows Home server Os and put it on a old PC. But never got around to trying it.
!