Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose a platform..

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:10:56 AM

Im building . but im having difficulties choosing platform

i need to know what platform to use before i can calculate a budget...

so i want a home pc.. well thats a lie.. i want a cheap gaming pc... sort of...

im want to play upcoming games with little to no framedrops. but im not in any way a hardcore gamer.

my latest desktop was a amd 64 2.2ghz and on that i played MassEffect 3 on lowest settings. and that sucked..

i want a so called "future proff" pc that i can upgrade over time

i have studied up on most of the processors and motherboard on the mainstream market so i sort of understand what i need..

.............plz help me Choose platform..

More about : choose platform

a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:16:35 AM

You forgot a budget thats the most important part
October 8, 2012 8:27:45 AM

i didnt forget .... well thats the tricky part. i dont know how much i need to spend, so i cant calculate one....

if i knew i was going for a intel platform then i would say like 1000$
and if i knew that i was going for a amd i knew i would need to spend 200$ less. but since im swedish im just talking out of my behind cuz i dont know what i can get for 1000$

i have tried some local hardware fourms but you could compare them to ghost towns.. so here i am at Tom' s hardware hopeing the comunity is more active here
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:42:15 AM

Well to fit your list an Intel rig would likely be more suitable I dont know hardware prices in Sweden but if you read the parts in the Intel rig on my signature that cost about £900 ($1300-ish). If you took that as a basis go rid of the SSD and used only 1 hardrive, it should bring the price down. You would then have a setup that can max out any game now and has some potential for future upgrades (you could SLi another GTX670 in future).

If your thinking of AMD wait until FX Piledriver is released.

a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:51:19 AM

potolip said:
i didnt forget .... well thats the tricky part. i dont know how much i need to spend, so i cant calculate one....

if i knew i was going for a intel platform then i would say like 1000$
and if i knew that i was going for a amd i knew i would need to spend 200$ less. but since im swedish im just talking out of my behind cuz i dont know what i can get for 1000$

i have tried some local hardware fourms but you could compare them to ghost towns.. so here i am at Tom' s hardware hopeing the comunity is more active here

I just built myself one. Intel Pentium G2120, an ASRock motherboard with a B75 chipset, 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR1600, Intel 330 180Gb SSD and a Radeon 7850 (+ a Silverstone case). Came to £550 including VAT / sales tax (20% is the tax rate in the UK).

Excluding VAT and converted into Euros that's around 545 Euros, if that helps. My system is a budget system but will easily play Mass Effect 3 on high.

a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 9:02:09 AM

If you want the cheapest gaming PC I'd say AMD. If you want to pay a bit more for more performance it's Intel.
October 8, 2012 1:43:17 PM

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K ($219.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H ($114.99)
Video Card: PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 ($349.99)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB ($31.99)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 (1.5TB) ($119.99)
Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD Burner iHAS124-04 ($17.99)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M ($64.99 after mail-in rebate)
Case: NZXT H2 ($79.99 after mail-in rebate)
Total: $999.92
October 8, 2012 8:03:47 PM

Thanx for those replys... i really mean it ...ive been looking for a hardware forum that can give a little more trivial answers. and every day hardware talk.. chish
...some forums have to serious ppl involved.

so i want to run this idea by anyone who find it intressting...

i was thinking on going with a little cheaper i3 3240 with a Asus z77 MoBo. i know it has none overclocking posibilitys but i have found it for like 100€ this setup will give me the option to upgrade to a i7 3930k with a liquid cooler next year for minimal cost compared to the cost of a whole build (hoping prices deflate a little before that).

whats your opinions .. guys i need the feedback on that

i was aswell considering the AMD A10 5800k.. but i think that is for someone that isnt planing on buying a GPU. But it being on a new socket, and knowing that AMD tend to hold on to those. does make me a little intrested still

anyone recomend a fx 4170?

@ DWAIGHT i forgot to put in the post that im only considering ATX. and if if i go intel it will not be a sandy bridge cpu
@ gopher1369 how is that pentium treating you.. i have totaly missed that platform plz tell me more.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:14:51 PM

First the 3930k wont fit the 1155 socket its socket 2011... unless you need a professional grade workstation for a production environment its also totaly uneeded and a waste of money.

The i3 it's a possibility but not one I would recommend. Your buying a CPU for a very short period of time and when you come to upgrade next year Haswell will be on the way using a new socket so you may end up replacing motherboard too meaning you had a rather expensive 6 months with the i3. I would save up for an i5 you can build an i5 rig with a decent graphics card in your budget (unless prices in Sweden are alot higher than here in the UK). Like i said if you read that Intel rig in my signature you could build that around your budget if you dont get the SSD, 2nd hardrive, only 8GB RAM and a cheaper motherboard, that will max out any game.

Your budget is high enough that the CPU with a dedicated GPU is a better choice than the A10 5800k

FX 4170 is poor the worst of all your options if you want FX on AM3+ wait for the new generation.
October 8, 2012 9:39:00 PM

ye sorry but that i meant the other i7 k modell the one with the 1155 socket..

ok.. i will go for the i5 k model.. its to bad the AMD choises is just a little bit of.
the over clockin posibilitys are truly awsome. the differance between the i3 and i5 are almost the double in 8swedish market)price for very little differance in performance and build. i read somewhare that for a nice gaming rig you got to have a 4 core 4ghz cpu i guess that is the case..

i will make budget and post the build here soon..

i think i will skip gpu for now and wait untill mid-november for that think i could manage without it with a i5
October 8, 2012 10:29:33 PM

CPU: i5 3450k 176€
http://www.proshop.se/Processor/Intel-Core-i5-3450-3.1-...

MoBo: asus p8z77v-le vs gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h 140/116€
dont know yet. the asus one seem a little overkill when i compare it to the gigabyte cuz the gigabyte has all i will need and the the asushas some stuff i will surly never use i.eg bios flash
feedback on this plz

case: corsair carbide 59€
http://www.proshop.se/Datorchassi/Corsair-Karbid-serie-...

powersupply: intertech moodular 750 w 57€
http://www.proshop.se/Stromforsorjning/Inter-Tech-Inter...

HDD: western digital caviar blue 500 gb 58€
http://www.proshop.se/Haarddisk/Western-Digital-500-GB-...

optical drive: auss drw 15€
http://www.proshop.se/DVD-Blu-ray-enhet/ASUS-DRW-24B5ST...

ddr3: kinston hyper x blu 2x8 gb 72€
http://www.proshop.se/RAM/Kingston-HyperX-blu-hukommels...

i get the sum to around 577€.. i thinks it pretty cheap... way cheaper than i was thinking ...

i prob will max out the memmory and buy a gpu and a ssd but i think ill wait with that.. a month

cant seem to find the kingston 2x8 gb on the gigabyte motherboard compability list

feedback pleas....
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 7:08:04 AM

You won't be gaming before you get a GPU. Just hold off purchases until you can get everything.
!