Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Help please! Random computer lockups

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 5:43:02 PM

I am currently having hard freezes with no BSOD. It seemed like the problem arose right after I had updated my mobo bios. I had never had freezing before updating it so I figured that had to be the problem. I eventually RMA'd my board and got the new one, updated to most recent bios, and still have the freezing. I then checked my RAM, no errors. Even tried my brothers RAM for good measure and still get the freezing. I have also tried out my brothers PSU and still had the lock ups. I have two graphics cards and get the freezing when both are in, and when one is in (tried both solo). The lockups will happen randomly, though never when idle. I can however trigger them in (not instantly) by downloading a game and then browsing the web. They also seem to occur more often while streaming something. This led me to believe it had to be my HD. So I went to the store and purchased a new one. Nope, didn't fix the problem. I have done a clean install twice, once not installing any drivers and once installing all the most recent drivers. CPU-Z shows my temps at low range. It freezes with case in tact and with both side panels off. If there is sound, it will loop a few milliseconds of sound. In the bios I have turned off the auto overclock and also played with vcore, yet still froze. A couple of times the computer unfroze when alt-tabbing out of a game or youtube video. I have also unfroze it a few times from simply hitting the power button once and it came out of the freeze and shut down. The vast majority of the time I have to hold the power button down and do a hard reset. I am lost friends... please help me out! :( 

Specs:
Asus p8z68-v pro
i5-2500k
2x4gb corsair vengeance 1600
1tb HD @ 7200
850W corsair psu
2x radeon hd 6870's

More about : random computer lockups

a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 7:06:48 PM

holy...that's a weird problem dude. You've tried nearly everything it sounds like...maybe it's a problem specific to that board? The only other thing i can think of....is the CPU....I'd be surprised if that was it, but wow I don't know. Maybe it's a case issue, like maybe the power button cable is shorting or something.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:42:45 PM

ya words can't describe the frustration this has put me through... i think I'm going to go through every component once more and finish with mobo if it's still freezing. is it possible to downgrade asus bios? I was completely stable at 1101 bios so maybe its worth a shot trying to go back to that.. idk im just out of idea's at this point
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 2:20:25 AM

yes you can downgrade your bios. if you were stable with it, it's sure worth a shot. you've tried everything else. if you try it, let me know if it works.
m
l
June 10, 2012 9:37:36 PM

Well it looks like there is no safe way to downgrade bios on asus boards... my safest bet is to buy a new bios chip with the bios that was stable for me. Does anyone have any suggestions before I do this? Don't want to spend $20 and have it freeze again
m
l