Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with CPU FAN error

Last response: in Components
October 8, 2012 10:04:28 AM

Hi. I would first of all like to thank anyone who went and tried to help!
I recently just decided to upgrade from stock fan to the cooler master 212 hyper plus. I installed everything and when I plug the 4 pin fan connector to my motherboard. It turns on saying an CPU Fan failed error message. The fan spins for a little then stops spinning and shuts off my computer. When I plug back my stock fan, it turns but I have to press f2.

I tested the Cooler master 212 fan itself on a battery connector my friend has and it works perfectly fine. It spins perfectly fine.
What should i do?

Motherboard : M2N78-LA
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
I have a stock computer HP P6210f

More about : problem cpu fan error

October 8, 2012 10:48:58 AM

It's possible the fan is either spinning too slow for the motherboard to detect its speed OR the speed sensor on the fan has failed and isn't feeding the motherboard with data.

My suggestion:-
Re-install the stock cooler as it was.
Connect the new cooler to one of the other fan headers on the motherboard.
Boot system and enter bios (spam F2 and Del)
Power-> HW Monitor Configuration
You should get a reading under something like "Chassis Fan Speed" or "Fan-1" or "Opt Fan 1"
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:46:56 AM

Sounds like either a failed fan or a proprietary pinout on the MB.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2012 4:36:34 AM

I am not sure but i think the mobo isnt detecting the fan since when i plug in another fan it turns on but it says i gotta Press F2
m
l
October 9, 2012 5:05:31 PM

Your motherboard is showing that error because the cpu cooler's fan is running below the motherboard's fan speed threshold. The CPU cooler usually increases its speed when there is a higher load on the computer. You will need to call your motherboard company and ask them how to take off the error message through your BIOS.
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:40:29 AM

CM_USA said:
Your motherboard is showing that error because the cpu cooler's fan is running below the motherboard's fan speed threshold. The CPU cooler usually increases its speed when there is a higher load on the computer. You will need to call your motherboard company and ask them how to take off the error message through your BIOS.

I called them and they were pretty much useless. I called HP. which was my desktop manufacturer and all they did was send me to different people. Then they said I would be charged $60 for assistance.
m
l

Best solution

October 16, 2012 9:57:42 PM

That's ridiculous,

Try going BIOS to see if you can disable the fan error notification.
October 17, 2012 4:36:09 AM

I tried doing that, but now I found a way to use the Cooler master fan that i love. I had to use the stock fans just to get rid of the Error message. On top of that i had to buy some 3 to 4pin modular things for the cooler master fan to work.
m
l
October 24, 2012 2:15:32 AM

Best answer selected by Kentronics.
m
l
July 5, 2014 8:17:12 PM

I've recently switched to watercooling as well with this specific motherboard and ran into some trouble too.
I get the same error message, which made me believe the watercooling was broke or not hooked up properly etc.

Basically the fan itself does not go into the CPU fan header, since the fan goes on the side of the case to cool the radiator of your watercooling. instead plug it into another 3-4 pin you can find. (on the motherboard mentioned by the OP the 3 pins are above the CPU power plug)
and plug the cooler that goes on top of the CPU into the CPU fan header.
This worked for me, and it stays working. I just get an error message saying "CPU fan not working, press f2 to continue etc etc"

I believe the motherboard is confused, since there is no fan on top of the CPU and it doesn't recognize the watercooling as a CPU fan even though it does the same thing and keep your CPU cool.
Now I just need to find out how to get rid of the error message since the BIOS does not provide any option for that.

Topic is old I know, but figured if I was looking for answers to turn off the error message I might as well leave some answers during my quest in case others stumble upon this as well.
m
l
!