Backup - Hot Swappable Harddrives?

sirdistik

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Does anyone know of a good alternative to backing up data? Data is about 12Gb in size. Currently, i'm considering a Sony Internal 35/90Gb AITI Tape Backup Drive IDE. but i'm looking for a cheaper and more reliable alternative. I'm now considering hot-swappable hard-drives, where i could buy 5 HDs, and rotate them every night. I'm using Windows 2000 Server SP3. Does anyone know if Win2000 Server even supports this?
And comments/ideas welcome!

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Maybe you can consider external hdds or a dvd burner. I think only scsi and sata supports hot swap and not the ide interface.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

sirdistik

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
i've already considered a DVD burner. it wont do because of the amount of data we neede backed up (12GB). The problem with a DVD burner is that we'll need at least 2-3 discs swapped in/out per night, and i don't think anyone would want to stay behind after hours to swap the discs.

Are you sure that hotswapping is only limited to IDE drives? i've heard from someone that they've managed it with IDE HDs. Though i haven't seen it for myself.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Maybe you could if you have one of those removable racks like <A HREF="http://vantecusa.com/mrk103f.html" target="_new">this.</A> There might be other ways but I was only thinking of just removing ide cable and power which might damage the hdd.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

TRENDING THREADS