What ISP to use with Cingular EDGE/GPRS?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

After a month of experimentation I'm reasonably satisfied with my Nokia 6230
EDGE/GPRS performance as a modem.

Now, I would like to find a low cost ISP that allows account access from the
Cingular network. Most low cost dial-up ISPs appear to allow account access
only through their dial-up portals. I have tried netzero and can only read
email, they block (for security reason I presume) any attempt to access
their smpt sever from outside their dial-up network....any attempt to find
out if they had a secure authentication server resulted in the usual run
around.

My present ISP (earthlink) does have an authentication server
(smtpauth.earthlink.net) that allows me to access my account through my
phone/modem but I would think I could do better than the $21.95/month when I
don't need their dial-ups or other "services".

Suggestions?

Tnx,

Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about what cingular edge gprs
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    --

    I would suggest just using Cingular's SMTP server for outgoing mail,
    if your phone allows a different username for sending and receiving.

    That is what I do for sending email from my phone and PDA, then just
    receive email from my ISP.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    jlp wrote:
    > After a month of experimentation I'm reasonably satisfied with my
    > Nokia 6230 EDGE/GPRS performance as a modem.
    >

    > Now, I would like to find a low cost ISP that allows account access
    > from the Cingular network. Most low cost dial-up ISPs appear to allow
    > account access only through their dial-up portals. I have tried
    > netzero and can only read email, they block (for security reason I
    > presume) any attempt to access their smpt sever from outside their
    > dial-up network....any attempt to find out if they had a secure
    > authentication server resulted in the usual run around.
    >

    > My present ISP (earthlink) does have an authentication server
    > (smtpauth.earthlink.net) that allows me to access my account through
    > my phone/modem but I would think I could do better than the
    > $21.95/month when I don't need their dial-ups or other "services".
    >

    > Suggestions?
    >

    > Tnx,
    >

    > Jeff

    Why Change? You can get an earthlink account, providing your own access for
    $9.99 a month.... Works with cellphones/dsl/cable etc...
    <Start Paste>
    Details (from the Earthlink website)
    The EarthLink Experience (Available)
    If you can't get EarthLink High Speed Internet service but still want
    EarthLink's superior performance, control, and protection, our premium
    Internet toolbox-The EarthLink Experience-is the right choice for you!
    First, sign up for The EarthLink Experience,
    Then, order a high-speed connection from another local provider.
    With The EarthLink Experience, you'll get all the benefits of an EarthLink
    membership, including:
    Up to 10 hours per month of dial-up access for when you travel.
    Eight EarthLink email addresses.
    EarthLink TotalAccess® 2004 software, featuring our innovative Blocker
    tools.
    You provide the high-speed connection. We provide everything else!
    Monthly Charge: $ 9.95/month
    Total One-time Fees: $ 0.00
    <end paste>
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    In <TCqJe.2661$RS.2416@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Sun, 07 Aug 2005
    16:26:27 GMT, "jlp" <salmo@teleport.com> wrote:

    >After a month of experimentation I'm reasonably satisfied with my Nokia 6230
    >EDGE/GPRS performance as a modem.
    >
    >Now, I would like to find a low cost ISP that allows account access from the
    >Cingular network. Most low cost dial-up ISPs appear to allow account access
    >only through their dial-up portals. I have tried netzero and can only read
    >email, they block (for security reason I presume) any attempt to access
    >their smpt sever from outside their dial-up network....any attempt to find
    >out if they had a secure authentication server resulted in the usual run
    >around.
    >
    >My present ISP (earthlink) does have an authentication server
    >(smtpauth.earthlink.net) that allows me to access my account through my
    >phone/modem but I would think I could do better than the $21.95/month when I
    >don't need their dial-ups or other "services".
    >
    >Suggestions?

    Use the Cingular SMTP server (cwmx.com) for outgoing email.

Cingular Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection