NTFS vs FAT - which is better for stand-alone XP?

G

I've seen lots of discussion on this issue, but very little conclusion - anybody seen anything that has some facts and conclusions about the relative merits of NTFS vs FAT32 for an XP Pro setup for home use? (when File Security is not a big issue, since it's a stand-alone PC).

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If you are not going to be dual-booting with another OS, then NTFS is the only way to go. There is no question about it, NTFS is the superior FS. Not only do you get file security but you also get smaller cluster sizes (less wasted disk space, but slightly slower performance), built-in compression support, support for larger hard drives, support for file indexing, less fragmentation, more robust (less likely for the file system to be corrupt), etc. As you can see, the list can go on and on. NTFS is the way to go.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
because of the efficiency of the fat32 file system vs ntfs:

if your comp is a stand alone comp & not a server & if you use large files (eg for video) you can use the fat32.

it's faster & need less clusters for large files.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
FYI - You cannot access the NTFS with a boot disk (unless I am mistaken)... This may or may not be an issue..

If I am mistaken, I'd really like to know how to make a NTFS boot disk... even if it has to be on a CD.

Ret

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
that's right but why this FYI ?
do you know the first post of this string ? lol

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Well, labdog, it appears that you and I are in the same boat I am afraid... We (the dumb and stupid) live a hard life I suppose. I'll just say "Whoo Hooo!! you da man!!" [in my best football cheering tone] and all is well.

Thanks,
Ret