Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212 Evo Cooler Installation

Last response: in Components
October 8, 2012 11:43:08 AM

Hi,

I am getting my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo today. I know there are many forum topics already dedicated to this, but I would like to make sure I am installing this correctly. The last cooler I installed had temps 85C+.

I have seen some topics that suggest the pea sized method, then others suggest spreading it out with a credit card or plastic bag. Is there a noticeable difference between the two? Just how large should a 'pea sized' blob be? The instructions recommend spreading it out, but I fear I will mess it up.

Also, the manufacturers manual suggests that I use whatever method on the cooler its self. How do I do this while installing the cooler? Should I just put the TIM on the CPU?

Thanks!
October 8, 2012 11:48:56 AM

Lately I use the clingfilm over the finger and spread it on the heatsink method, I have used the BB sized (not pea) on centre of CPU method.

Never seen any real difference between any of them, do whichever one you feel comfortable with.
m
l

Best solution

October 8, 2012 11:51:11 AM

I just built a computer and used the evo. All I did was squirt some paste on the cpu and put the evo on. It came out a little faster than I expected so I think I put too much on, but I still idle at around 30C. You don't need to spread it out and I would suggest looking up a youtube video to see how much to apply. Hard to really describe in words. If you follow the evo instructions everything will work great.
Related resources
October 8, 2012 11:53:24 AM

So, you all are suggesting not putting the paste on the cooler, but directly on the CPU?
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:54:30 AM

cc inc said:
So, you all are suggesting not putting the paste on the cooler, but directly on the CPU?

That is correct. iirc the evo instructions say to put it on the cooler, but I put it on the cpu. In all honesty it probably doesn't matter either way. Just put it on the cpu like the rest of us.
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:56:47 AM

Ok, great. I will try the small BB/ Pea sized method without spreading and let you know how it goes tonight, unless anyone else has any suggestions?
m
l
October 9, 2012 12:23:39 PM

Ok, thanks to everyone who helped! Using the pea sized method (admittedly a bit too much) my idle temps are around 31C and under high intel stress test, it is around 69C. This is a major drop from my stock intel cooler.
m
l
October 9, 2012 12:24:26 PM

Best answer selected by cc inc.
m
l
!