Upgrading graphics card into old mother board

Hi i currently have a Intel core 2 quad q9400 @ 2.66 gz socket 775 lga, a msi g31m3 (ms-7528) mother board, Nvidia geforce 9400 gt and 4gb ddr2 ram

I want to build Tom's 2k gaming computer listed on this site but use a Radeon HD 7970.

I would like to know firstly if that card would work on my motherboard and if the cpu could handle it. Secondly if the graphics card will fit in my case only 1/2 tower not sure what type it is but the computer is a pryon Q9400jm stock.

I need to do a 2 stage build gpu, psu and maybe case then buy the rest later.

Thirdly can i mix parts like putting old motherboard into new case etc , then replacing all the other old stuff to finally get the full Tom's $2000 gaming computer.
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading graphics card mother board
  1. The 7970 will work with your board and CPU. The Q9400 is an older chip bit it is still pretty powerful.

As far as if the video card will actually fit in your case I think your best bet is to take the side off and use a ruler to check the length.
  2. Thanks for you quick response I also would like to knowwether buying a new case Antec 1200 full gaming case and installing old motherboard with new gpu would make the final transition easier when i can afford new mobo,cpu etc. as well as being cooler for new graphics card?
  3. No issues with old MB going into new case :)
    This is the way to upgrade your PC piece by piece. I would suggest buying very good PSU first. I would go for 750W or up. My thinking is that it is better to have 750W PSU work at 70% than having lower PSU like 650W work at 80%....this way less heat is produced and PSU is more efficient. As for the graphics card I'm so fed up with waiting for GTX680 availability that I was also looking at 7970($529.99) to upgrade my rig...actually 7950 are not bad at all for 429.99. XFX now has a prity good bundle DeusX and Dirt3
  4. A bigger case with proper fans would help the computer stay cool, especially the new gpu.

Assembling a computer only take an hour or so and its fun, so I say rebuild the old computer in the new case for the fun of it.
  5. bucknutty said:
    A bigger case with proper fans would help the computer stay cool, especially the new gpu.

Assembling a computer only take an hour or so and its fun, so I say rebuild the old computer in the new case for the fun of it.

An hour? Oh no. With cable management it is more like 3-4 hours. You want to take your time and make sure cables don't cross or bend on too much.
  6. I guess after building hundreds of custom computers im a little faster than most. It takes me longer to get the parts out of the boxes and get all the twist ties and film off the parts then it does for me to assemble a computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics