tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i received a new sapphire OC version 7850 2 days ago. i can hear it when it really starts going (like in BF3). it produces a low humming noise. i don't know if that is the fans making the noise or if it is something else that isn't normal, but i wondered if i should be concerned. performance doesn't seem to be affected, though my old 5770 made a different fan-like noise when it was under load.

the hum is low pitched and low volume, but it is audible. what do you guys think?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
It seems fine to me. Sometimes the power circuitry on GPUs makes a little hum. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but I have a Sapphire OC 7870 which runs completely silently. You're still probably ok though.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
the 7850 has bigger fans, and 2 of them. the 5770 had just one. honestly i probably wouldn't have noticed it but a reviewer on newegg for the same product said he was experiencing a loud whine that eventually caused him to RMA his item. every other reviewer says their unit is completely silent. so i was a little sensitive about noise before i even turned the unit on. i feel like there is definitely a hum going on at load, however i don't think many people would notice it unless i pointed it out.

when people say their unit is "silent" are you muting your sound and listening only to your computer while under load? if the sound is on obviously i hear nothing. when everything is muted is when i can hear the hum. i will try and snap a video.

I think theirs nothing wrong with it.Your probably just not used to the fans.I think of "silent" as in it conforms with the rest of the case noise(other fans) so it can't be heard by itself.Also it gets louder when it's under load.More power=more heat.So the fans rev up to cool it.