frankiebonesyard

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hello,
I have a Dell Studio 540 tower. It does not power on. I replaced the power supply and the mobo with the same previous mobo (new). The green led light on the back of the power supply stays on. When I press the power button, the led blinks then remains on. Any ideas???? Should I replace the power switch? Sooooo Lost! All my synth software & hardware has taken weeks to tweek.
Thank You,
Frankie

Post your full specs for assistance. Suggest you try 'Breadboard' technique, where you dismantle whole system and place the mobo on a (dry) breadboard and build it up a bit at a time.Start with just psu,1stick RAM, CPU and connect monitor to integrated GPU if you have one (if not, try your GPU in a mate's PC...) You can start your rig by shorting out the two pins marked Pwr on your front panel connector using a small flat blade screwdriver. If it runs on the breadboard add rest of RAM, drives etc. if that is successful look for a possible short cct...

i would start by seeing if a card has failed and is shorting out your pc. bare bone the pc. one ram stick. unplug all the drives and removed all the cards from the mb and see if the mb will post. if you get the same no power issue and it a new mb..it may be the cpu or a dead short. to see if it a dead short i would take the ps and mb and see if they post outside the case. (one thing to check is see if there a screw or anything under the mb that could short the mb out.)

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

i dont think this is necessary as no fans even turn so either the leads are pinned wrong, dead psu, or dead motherboard

frankiebonesyard

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

Not time for video games here, lol!!!
I had to pick up the kids from school......then dinner.....then home. So, I tried the clip bridge thing. Funny result, Noe the front blue led light that illuminates the power button stays on! WTF,
You guys, gals are great!!!
I wil be home in 4 hours and then the troubleshooting will continue.
Thanks to all of you,
Frankie

frankiebonesyard

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

ALL GOOD, BLAck to negative, Red to positive, lol. It only plugs in one way, idiot proof

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
my doesnt mine are a row of pis, beside those pins its marked with whtever swith applies with - and + so if i turn the connector and plug it in it will be reversed positive to negative and negative to positive which will then short against itself