Sign in with
Your question

Is my gpu dead?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 3:27:38 PM

Hello guys. Today i started Crysis 2, and while the game was loading, the computer froze and gave me BSOD, with code 116. While rebooting, there were green/horizontal lines all over the screen, and while loading Windows, it again BSOD'd and it froze during POST the 2nd time.
I somehow managed to get in Safe mode, and i don't have any problems in Safe mode. I removed the drivers and tried to enter Windows normally - bingo.
BUT - when i installed previous version drivers, and rebooted - again, the same symptoms. Freeze, BSOD with code 116, POST screen filled with green or horizontal lines.
I'm mostly sure that my GPU is "half dead" or something, but i want to hear from you guys, is my GPU really dying, or it's a driver related issue?

More about : gpu dead

a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 4:01:08 PM

I'd say your GPU is dying. Bugcheck code 0x116 is VIDEO_TDR_ERROR which is caused by a failed GPU reset after a GPU hang. If your driver worked fine before and doesn't anymore, it's definitely not a driver issue. The horizontal lines definitely point to a GPU hardware issue.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 4:04:37 PM

does the card actually work with the older driver? have you put it through the paces while using that older driver? if it works fine with that driver... i would have to blame the newer driver.

i cringed at the green line though. the bootup sequence is driverless
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 7:57:11 PM

Thanks for the answers guys, unfortunately the GPU really isn't working as it should, the artifacts have confirmed it... :( 
@neon with any driver installed i wasn't able to get into windows normally, i had to go in safe mode. But when i tried to format and reinstall windows, to ensure that the problem wasn't related to any software issue, the gpu started giving artifacts.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 1:46:40 AM

yeah, thats sounding pretty damaged
!