CPU upgrade on older Mobo?

supersaint

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hello!

I have an older computer that's really showing it's age, and I've been thinking about trying to upgrade from a single core to dual-core processor.

From what I've read about the particular mobo I have, I think it's impossible, but I want to get the opinion of people who would know for sure.

I have CPU-ID, let me know what information you need about the motherboard. Thanks!

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
If I was you, I'd buy a cheap Mobo, ram and CPU and go with a quad core, AMD sells really cheap! or it's probably better for you to just buy a new PC all together though if you're using a single core! Almost all your hardware is probably outdated. And depending on your chipset, you may not be able to replace your CPU because the CPUs for that chipset may have gotten canceled, or it will be hard to find. Best of luck, and post your chipset! there may still be a chance. AMD or Intel? Ex: AM2+ or LGA 775?

supersaint

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Money's hard to come by right now, that's why I'm investigating cheaper alternatives. I know it's a pipe dream, new mobo means new cpu, memory, probably new power supply.

Anyway, the motherboard is an AA8XE (Intel 925XE-ICH6R) housing an Intel Pentium 4 550 in socket 775 LGA Prescott running at 3.4Ghz that I can overclock to 3.8 without too much trouble.