*Read before posting* CPU question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Build
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 6:49:24 PM

So, I decided to go AM3+ for my CPU and MoBo. I know AM3 CPUs will fit into a AM3+ MoBo. My friend offered to let me use his old Phenom II until I can afford a higher end CPU. But here is the problem, his PSU blew up in his old build... Would that cause any damage to the CPU? And, if I put that CPU in my MoBo, would it damage my MoBo? I'm planning on buying a FX 8-8350 down the road next year.

More about : read posting cpu question

a c 283 à CPUs
October 8, 2012 7:11:33 PM

Quote:
Would that cause any damage to the CPU?

Doubtful. Usually, in that situation, the motherboard will suicide and save other components (except for the GPU, possibly, but that's only if the GPU is connected to the PSU with PCIe power cables).

Quote:
And, if I put that CPU in my MoBo, would it damage my MoBo?

Almost definitely not. Not impossible, but insanely unlikely.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 7:22:17 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Quote:
Would that cause any damage to the CPU?

Doubtful. Usually, in that situation, the motherboard will suicide and save other components (except for the GPU, possibly, but that's only if the GPU is connected to the PSU with PCIe power cables).

Quote:
And, if I put that CPU in my MoBo, would it damage my MoBo?

Almost definitely not. Not impossible, but insanely unlikely.

Thank You SOOOO MUCH! I Wish I could pick your answer as best! Thank You for taking the time to reply to my question! :D 
a c 283 à CPUs
October 8, 2012 7:22:57 PM

griptwister said:
Thank You SOOOO MUCH! I Wish I could pick your answer as best! Thank You for taking the time to reply to my question! :D 

You're welcome. :) 
a c 85 à CPUs
October 8, 2012 8:34:39 PM

+1^ not to the thank you, but that the cpu is unlikely to have been damaged in such a way as to damage another mobo.
!