aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
The FX 4xxx series is really a replacement for the Phenom II X2 and X3. The FX 6xxx series replaces the Phenom II X4 and the FX 8xxx series replaces the Phenom II X6. This is in general of course. Sometimes the FP unit in the FX series is limiting and it performs closer to half its core count vs PII, other times it performs about right at its core count vs PII when the application is integer heavy and doesn't branch much.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The Phenom II x4 is better. Bulldozer was an embarrassment, and I wouldn't recommend any chip based on it for any build. The Phenom IIs are still great budget chips if you want a dirt cheap gaming system.

Basically if you plan on spending more than $100 on a CPU, you want Intel in my opinion. Otherwise the Phenom IIs are still the best value around.

Take a look at the 960T, its an AMD chip, its a 4 core Thurban chip which is a 6 core chip usually some people have reported success with unlocking the extra 2 cores and reviews I have seen are favourable as far as overclocking is concerned.
its stock clock is 3GHz.

Mactronix :)

geotek

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

The 960t is also 95w tdp, one thing people usually dont mention. As a former 955 and 555 owner, makes a HUGE difference in heat. Even unlocked to 6 cores and OC'd its still much cooler than my 955.