Sign in with
Your question

7850 gigabyte really loud, what should I do?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 4:13:21 PM

I recently purchased the gigabyte 7850 OC and it too loud.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or figured out how to reduce the noise. It used to rattle, but I wiggled the fans until they stopped rattling.

The fan casing seems very cheap, and even though the fans are larger, they make way too much noise.

I am torn between returning the card (15% restock fee and return shipping), finding a way to dampend the sound (they are only at 40% speed), or getting a new fan for the card.

If I do return it, what 7850 should I get, I want the quietest one. I could cut some of the cost if I get it through amazon (free shipping, and I think still no taxes for now).

I have a Q9650 3Ghz proc on an x38 chipset with 4 GB DDR2, corsair 620 watt HX PSU.

Shoudl I return the gigabyte and get a quieter card? If so, what is a solid, but quiet 7850?

More about : 7850 gigabyte loud

a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 4:31:40 PM

don't touch the cooler.i would suggest RMA it.MSi twinfrozer is my favorite custom cooler.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 4:36:04 PM

hellfire24 said:
don't touch the cooler.i would suggest RMA it.MSi twinfrozer is my favorite custom cooler.

+1
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 4:40:51 PM

Also, if you had crap fans on the card there is no re-stocking fee because they will not re-stock it. They're not going to turn around and sell a bad card. Newegg will also pay return shipping if it's a bad card and you live in the US/Canada.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:56:08 PM

I live in calif.

I contacted Newegg earlier they said I can only replace the card in an RMA (I pay return shipping), they send the same model back. I would have loved exchanging it with the twin frozr III one, but they would charge me 15% restock fee for it, pluss I still pay the return shipping, thus I feel like if I return the card, I will not buy another one from them. I have amazon prime, so free shipping,a nd often tax free, but most 7850's are OOS through amazon. I coul dperhaps get a 7950, but then that is more cost, and I would have alread burnt $40 returning the 7850.

I wiggled the fan (per what other reviews and people said) and the rattling seems to have stopped, but there is still the hi-pitched wwwrrrr of the fan blades even at 20% speed.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:58:43 PM

I feel as though this was false advertising from Gigabyte, claiming the fans would be quieter than the manutacturer fans, they are not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 3:15:22 AM

Return it and grab another one. It may be a faulty card.
m
l
!