Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading GEForce 6150SE nforce 450 and GeForce GTS 250?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 4:18:27 PM

Hello All,

I'm a single mum with responsiblity for two Pcs. I hope you will be able to help, though I'm in the UK. I've read articles and reviews, including the article on this site "Best graphics cards for the money April 2012", but this subject is quite new to me and it's all starting to blur together into a string of letters. I apologise too, for the length of this post >.>

GeForce 6150SE nforce 450:

This is in my daughter's computer, which just crashed at the thought of Skyrim (which she had for her birthday). I have known for some time that this pc was underachieving..and the culprit seems to be a (rather rubbish?) graphics card. I will be attempting to change it myself. I don't know what fps I need, but I do know what games will be played. Likewise I am not sure if the PSU will be worked too hard. Could you suggest suitable cards?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: soon. BUDGET RANGE: GBP £80/USD $130

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Skyrim and Sims 3]

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nforce 450

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP s5615UK-m (ACPI x 64 based PC). AMD Athlon II x 2 220 Processor 2.80GHz. Ram: 3GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: None, can be UK or US. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: I'm in Wales, UK, if you mean for the parts, no preference.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: as not sure how, I probably won't.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: HPS2031 Series Wide Screen LCD 1600 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer to be compatable with any imminent technology developments, e.g. DirectX 11.

Nvidia Gforce GTS 250:

The second card is in my pc and I've noticed that it's struggling a little with higher end graphic demands such as anti aliasing and not achieving graphics and performance on the newer games. You can hear the tower start working like a jet engine warming up.

I saw that DirectX 11 is being talked about, so, my question is, is it a good time to replace my current card? If so, what would you suggest?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: not urgent. BUDGET RANGE: GBP £80/USD $130 but happy to pay a little more for a good buy.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Skyrim, Sims 3, The Guild and all the usual game suspects at some point, The Last Templar, SWG etc] and Graphics [Photoshop, Maya, Poser, Second Life], Media [Films and music, quite a lot will be streamed now NetFlix is coming to the UK]

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP p6300uk (ACPI x 64 – based PC), MoBo: AMD Athlon II x 2 215 2.70 Ghz, RAM: 3GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Same as above

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: same as above

MONITOR RESOLUTION: HP 2010 Series Wide LCD Monitor: resolution 1600x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer to be compatable with any imminent technology developments, e.g. DirectX 11.

I should probably increase the RAM too. I didn't realise until too late that I cannot go above 4GB, which sucks. There are only 2 sockets available which take a max of 2GB each. I believe it takes DDR3 PC3-10600 and DDR3 PC3 – 12800. Is one better than the other?

I really would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge, your time and opinions otherwise I'll have to throw myself on the mercies of large pc chain salespersons. Thank you :) 

Elizabeth
April 12, 2012 4:21:59 PM

It's a slim computer right? Then those GPUs won't fit.
You need to look for a low-profile card for that.
April 12, 2012 4:32:53 PM

Yes, the first computer, the one with the Nvidia GEForce 6150SE nforce 430, is a slimline.

The second pc, the one with Nvidia GEForce GTS 250 is not a slimline.

April 12, 2012 4:35:49 PM

I apologise, it should read "430" not "450" in the original post.

It's a Nvidia GEForce 6150 nforce 430, (not 450)
Related resources
!