Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Help

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Okm so I'm using the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer case:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/357897/CM_Storm_Enforcer_Mid_Tower_ATX_Gaming_Computer_Case

I've been using it for about 3-4 months, and now my hard drive has been damaged. I believe the HDD overheated, but I'm not absolutely sure. See, since the front fan is intake, the vent in front of the fan was completely covered with dust. Not only that, there is a second thin mesh film which was also clogged with dust. I'm no expert, but it's safe to assume that the fan could NOT provide my HDD with the cooling it needed, right?

And, if it means anything, the HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB.

The damaged HDD is still running, but all its operations are very slow. In particular, it takes forever to start up. So, I was wondering, would it be safe to change the direction of the front fan, and make it exhaust instead of intake? Or, would it be safe for a new HDD, to not use the front fan at all? The case has no side vent near the HDD, but the front vent should be enough for the hard drive to breathe and cool off, right?

Nuclear101

Honorable
Hi, so in my opinion, you should clean out the dust filter or replace it if necessary. You should also try to place your computer in a less dusty environment, eg. on top of your desk instead of under, or at least having a secondary dust filter in the front of the case fan, one that you can clean using canned air. If nothing works, use canned air to blast out the dust, but make sure to power off the computer first. I hope this helps a little.

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

Um...I'm sorry, I don't think any of that would help, and it doesn't answer my question. I've already cleaned both parts of the dust filter/guard. But the damage has already been done. And, it doesn't matter how or where the case is placed, as long as the fan is intake, dust will quickly accumulate on the dust filter and ultimately prevent the fan from being able to cool the hard drive. My point is, if I keep using the case as it is, I will have to clean the dust filter out every month or 2, the way I figure it. I would prefer not to have to do that. So, since there is an opening in front of the hard drive anyway, wouldn't it be ok to not use the fan? Or make the fan exhaust instead of intake?

TRENDING THREADS