Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Computer - Tips & Compatibility Review

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2012 12:01:19 AM

I am in need for a newer computer, so I decided to build my own to save money. I spent a considerable time reviewing my parts to ensure their compatibility, but am still unsure as to whether they will 100% work. I was hoping someone could review my parts and offer me some insight into their compatibility and any advice for improving the system. The build is going to be primarily a gaming/multimedia computer, so I want a lot of power.

As a final note, I would also hope to make this build last for quite a while, and hope to overclock some of the parts once they begin to become outdated.

My Parts:

Video Card - EVGA Superclocked Geforce GTX 670 4GB
Processor - Intel Core i7 3770K
CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout
Memory - (2) Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CD/DVD Drive - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner OEM
Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Operating System - Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Keyboard - Logitech Wireless Combo MK260
Monitor - ASUS VH236H Black (I hope to eventually get two of these.)

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best solution

June 10, 2012 12:46:16 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9OuQ

here is a build that performs the same as yours for cheaper. to comment on your build first

1:there is NO point of getting 4gb of video ram. you are not running high resolution
2:there isnt any point of 16gb of ram unless you video edit a lot
3:i gave you 750w just because it allows for future SLI and more power
4:: you wont need the PRO board. the extreme4 from asrock has all the features you will need. if you want dual gigabit lan, get the gigabyte z7x-ud5h
5:for a monitor, the vs247h-p is nice or the e247h. either one
6: green drives arent that great. so i got you a regular drive and a big ssd to store all your important stuff on
June 10, 2012 12:48:52 AM

All good points, except for point 6. Green drives are fine with an SSD.
Related resources
June 10, 2012 12:52:36 AM

green drives failed me....:( 
June 10, 2012 12:55:34 AM

I have one atm and it works just fine with my SSD.
June 10, 2012 1:14:22 AM

TheBigTroll said:
green drives failed me....:( 

Every hard drive model, regardless of the model, has a few bad drives every now and then. This happens to all electronics and not just hard drives. One or even two failing are not always representative of the average reliability because no matter how reliable they are, there's going to be some unlucky person, or persons, who gets a drive that's either DOA or fails after a while. How reliable the "green" drives are depends on the model because some green drives are more reliable than others.
June 10, 2012 1:37:27 AM

well i guess yeah...
June 10, 2012 2:41:47 PM

Best answer selected by wadesilvestro.
!