Repurpose old Core 2 Duo Gaming Rig into HTPC

SirMadrigal

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have an old C2D e6300 that was solid for years @ 3800mhz, I retired the old rig and its been sitting in a closet for well over a year now.

I am thinking of building an HTPC, no gaming necessary just want to use my Ceton InfiniTV 4 to record HDTV and use the HTPC for Media and Music.

I have a C2D e6300
4GB of DDR2 6400 Ram
80GB Hard Drive (2TB USB 3.0 External)
ATI Radeon HD 4350 w/HDMI (Plays 1080p fine)

Is there a Micro ATX Mobo and Case you can suggest? the XFX Graphics card is pretty big so it may not work for the HTPC but if it does id rather not buy a video card for this.

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Maybe look for a used c2d case/mobo/psu on ebay? Maybe one coming off a business lease?

I'm using a Dell Optiplex 745 in the smaller desktop form factor (not the mid tower, but not the sff or usff) as my HTPC. It has a 1 TB HD and a low profile radeon 4650. Works fine, fan is maybe a little loud.

Maybe you can find an used optiplex 745 or optiplex 755 Mid-Tower PSU, Mobo and case for below $50. Or some other old 775 board based case.

If I would starting without a case, I would probably want a smaller form factor (and a fanless graphics card), but I originally had it for regular use at home and the desktop just fits in my tv stand slot. Might grab a fanless low profile radeon board later if I can get one for $10 for $20 shipped, just haven't bothered to look....

SirMadrigal

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

it is full sized card with two fans on it, I just have this stuff lying around and figured I might as well get some use out of it, it was my old gaming rig from back in the day, I now only use a laptop.