Sign in with
Your question

Will this graphics card be better than my on-board graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 5:08:07 PM

A friend gave me an old Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. Since it's an older card, I wasn't sure if it would be better than the graphics on my motherboard, ATI Radeon HD 4200?

I was going to just write down my Windows Hardware scores then install the card and see how they change, but I'd like to avoid uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones, then possibly doing that again if the card isn't better.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 5:49:27 PM

You sure know how to pick a doozy . . . The FX1400 is roughly similar to a Geforce 6800, but its chief purpose when it was introduced years ago was to function as a workstation card.

There may be a handful of things it will do better, but because the Radeon 4200 can use more video memory (albeit shared with the system) and provide more advanced features and hardware acceleration, the IGP will most likely be better for your day-to-day uses.

Related resources
April 12, 2012 5:54:43 PM

Sorry, I should have given more details. This will not be used for gaming. The most graphics-intensive things we do on our desktop is photoshop/illustrator and watching videos.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 5:51:24 PM

AMD's Unified Video Decoder on the Radeon 4200 IGP will provide DXVA hardware decoding of MPEG2, H.264 and VC-1 video -- the Quadro will probably do mpg2 - not sure about other formats/codecs.

You can run 2 monitors off the HD4200 -- not sure if that is an option for you. One can be HDMI/DVI and the other has to be d-sub. Two monitors are great in graphics work.

!