• Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2012 1:00:44 AM

So i have just finished my first homebuilt PC and I am having issues getting it to recognize a monitor. When I have the graphics cards in the monitor just stays black. If i take them out it works fine. And this is when I plug the monitor into the port on my motherboard. I might understand if i was plugging it to the cards themselves, but it seems my cards make the mobo port not work... is that normal?

I have two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : build recognize monitor

a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 1:14:33 AM

When you put a graphics card or two into a computer it disables the onboard graphics you have to plug the monitor into the graphics card.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:17:56 AM

thanks so much. Tested it and youre right, just need a converter now.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 1:22:41 AM

Cool I am glad I could help.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:25:23 AM

wait, so dont i need drivers installed for my cards ports to work? And i havent installed my OS yet, so should i wait to install the cards until the OS is in?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 1:29:07 AM

Plug the monitor in to the graphics card to download the os. The screen might not be completely filled up that is because it is using onboard graphics it will not use the graphics cards graphics until you download the drivers.
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:10:39 AM

alright thanks. I have one other question... I have a 850 watt PSU and my case has a PSU slot on the bottom, with a filter on the bottom as well, i was wondering which way i should face the PSU. with the fan side up toward the mobo or down towards the outside filter. the other side it blank and its confusing me. right now it is facing up, but the writing visible where i plug in the power cord is upside down
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 7:11:26 AM

I have my fan facing up into the case. The PSU fan is an exhaust fan, it pulls air into it and pushes it out the back of the power supply. It really doesn't matter which way you have the fan facing, UNLESS your tower is going to be sitting on a surface such as carpet, in which case you definitely want the fan side facing into the . err case.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 2:30:54 PM

cadams77 said:
alright thanks. I have one other question... I have a 850 watt PSU and my case has a PSU slot on the bottom, with a filter on the bottom as well, i was wondering which way i should face the PSU. with the fan side up toward the mobo or down towards the outside filter. the other side it blank and its confusing me. right now it is facing up, but the writing visible where i plug in the power cord is upside down

I have mine facing towards my mobo too.
m
l
!