Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 High Flow Bracket/Back Plate

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 6:24:14 PM

So I wasn't much of a believer but the high flow bracket really works. I haven't tested it out in full load (going to right now) but my idle temps went from 32ish to 28 and that's with out my side panel on which has a 200mm intake fan. Just thought I'd let everyone in in case they feel it won't change anything like I did. As for the back plate... it looks nice :p 
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 6:46:23 PM

IKR, they should just come standard on all external-exhaust cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 6:46:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I normally just take a dremel tool and cut off all the fins or a very large portion to open it up.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 6:50:03 PM

ahnilated said:
Thanks for the info. I normally just take a dremel tool and cut off all the fins or a very large portion to open it up.

If I ever had to RMA and did that I'm pretty sure the warranty would get voided. Creative though, haha
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 2:29:27 PM

aRodr1guez said:
If I ever had to RMA and did that I'm pretty sure the warranty would get voided. Creative though, haha

Yeah, I have spares so I just cut out an old one and if I have to RMA I put it back. Normally when I get a video card I change the heat sink to something aftermarket so RMA becomes a bit more of a problem.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 2:55:20 PM

4C at idle does not excite me. Run the Unigine Heaven benchmark a few times and see what you can get your temps up to with each back plate. I'm willing to bet there is no difference or little difference.

Taking the side off really helps with killing any warm pockets of air. You have to consistently test.

I modified my fan profile a little bit and at load it keeps things between 70C-75Cish. Stock its about 80-81C max. I idle around 30-33C depending on ambient temps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 3:10:17 PM

If you really want to stress test it load up Furmark and run that for 5mn and see where each settle out on extreme burn in.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:28:08 PM

jay2tall said:
4C at idle does not excite me. Run the Unigine Heaven benchmark a few times and see what you can get your temps up to with each back plate. I'm willing to bet there is no difference or little difference.

Taking the side off really helps with killing any warm pockets of air. You have to consistently test.

I modified my fan profile a little bit and at load it keeps things between 70C-75Cish. Stock its about 80-81C max. I idle around 30-33C depending on ambient temps.

I actually have really good airflow in my case and never seen 28 at idle for my GPU. Overclocked at 125/300 my load temps didn't pass 62C which use to hit 70-72C running Heaven DX11 at maxed out settings 1080p before I put the high flow bracket and back plate on. That's a pretty big difference if you ask me.

I also modified the fan profile a bit.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:38:24 PM

I got the high flow bracket on mine lowest I have seen on mine is 23 and the absolute highest I have seen is 56, on air OC'd. I was playing SWTOR with the new graphics all enabled on the highest setting with FXAA on through control panel 7 hours later 46 degrees. I ran cinebench and my CPU got up to 40 C on air with a coolermaster hyper 212 + push pull.

@ahnilated I asked EVGA and they said as long as you can attach the original heatsink when you send it in for an RMA it doesnt matter. I have never put it a heatsink on a card before. But i have put them on CPU, hoe hard is it to do on a card, and what are the temp differences one could expect to see?

Also 70-75!!! I would shut off my system if I saw anything above 65 and see what wrong, but maybe thats because i know what normal temps are for my system
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 4:08:28 PM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
I got the high flow bracket on mine lowest I have seen on mine is 23 and the absolute highest I have seen is 56, on air OC'd. I was playing SWTOR with the new graphics all enabled on the highest setting with FXAA on through control panel 7 hours later 46 degrees. I ran cinebench and my CPU got up to 40 C on air with a coolermaster hyper 212 + push pull.

@ahnilated I asked EVGA and they said as long as you can attach the original heatsink when you send it in for an RMA it doesnt matter. I have never put it a heatsink on a card before. But i have put them on CPU, hoe hard is it to do on a card, and what are the temp differences one could expect to see?

Also 70-75!!! I would shut off my system if I saw anything above 65 and see what wrong, but maybe thats because i know what normal temps are for my system

They are not too hard to change over if you take it slow and have a clue of what you are doing and read the instructions. Now going back to the stock cooler is a bit tougher unless you have some replacement thermal pads. I saw about a 30C drop in temps on my GTX480's from the stock cooler to the aftermarket ones I use (Arctic Cooling). The only bad part this is it exhausts the heat inside the case and if you don't have good air flow your temps rise quite a bit. They are however silent, meaning I can't hear them even at 100% duty. With my current setup I have the cards overclocked and the temps don't go above 75C on the top video card in SLI unless I do Furmark testing.

70-75C on a newer video card currently isn't bad at all. You don't have to worry until they go over 100C and start to thermal limit themselves.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 4:41:52 PM

aRodr1guez said:
I actually have really good airflow in my case and never seen 28 at idle for my GPU. Overclocked at 125/300 my load temps didn't pass 62C which use to hit 70-72C running Heaven DX11 at maxed out settings 1080p before I put the high flow bracket and back plate on. That's a pretty big difference if you ask me.

I also modified the fan profile a bit.

Is that 62C with the new bracket and back plate at stock fan speeds or after you ALSO modified it? Just curious what the load temps are before and after with stock fan settings.

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:

Every review I've seen of the GTX680 has a load temp of around 80C +- 2C. Which is pretty decent for a high end card with stock cooling. It's a far cry from older ATI and Nvidia cards that used to run in the 90-100C range at load. I remember the x1900xtx and 7950gx2. 80C is nothing.

I am just bringing this up because what does it cost for both of those items? $30? What does it really buy me if I got it? I can overclock pretty well without breaking the stock temps with what the card was shipped with, so I'm not seeing the benefit. If you started increasing voltages and trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the card, maybe.

BTW, I'm not putting any of this down, just having a good discussion. :D 
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 4:56:58 PM

My thought is that if you can get it down to 65C under extreme load, you either have more OC headroom, or you can get it quieter with less aggressive fan profiles. I do like the temps below 80C, so I will set my fan profile to get aggressive at that point, but I'm ok up to 80C, as long as it's quiet.
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:16:45 PM

jay2tall said:
Is that 62C with the new bracket and back plate at stock fan speeds or after you ALSO modified it? Just curious what the load temps are before and after with stock fan settings.

62C with stock fan speeds and OC to 125/300. Before I installed both bracket and back plate with my fans modified a little with the same overclock I was seeing 70-72C underload. With the modified fan profile and plate/bracket installed I usually hang out around 58C underload using Heaven DX11 with everything maxed out at 1080p

Regardless though my card isn't capable of touching 150/450 even though I don't need that much I'll be fine with 125/225
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 5:25:38 PM

I'd be curious to see what effect each of those components has on temps. For example if the back plate removes the most heat, or if the bracket does. My guess is the back plate is pulling some heat off the card. I can't imagine the bracket is doing THAT much for airflow. It's a bit of work just only my curiosity, so I won't expect an answer. :D 
bystander said:
My thought is that if you can get it down to 65C under extreme load, you either have more OC headroom, or you can get it quieter with less aggressive fan profiles. I do like the temps below 80C, so I will set my fan profile to get aggressive at that point, but I'm ok up to 80C, as long as it's quiet.

Very true. I am not sure HOW much OC headroom you will gain, but I'm sure a little. I think your card will get unstable due to other factors before heat is an issue regardless of it sitting at 65C or 80C. My case has OK airflow, but is designed to be relatively quiet so I accept that my in case temp is higher than someone that has a good bit of air moving. However, by no means is my case insufficiently ventilated.

aRodr1guez said:

Regardless though my card isn't capable of touching 150/450 even though I don't need that much I'll be fine with 125/225
I keep an OC of 100/200 all the time. However, I've tested for hours on 150/500 and have had no issues. This is with my modified fan profile that sits at 70-75C depending on what I do. The fan profile is not super aggressive, but it is a straight incline from 40C@30% to 90C@80%(or whatever the max is for the cooler). That max OC is still the luck of the draw. The GPU next to mine on the wafer might have been your GPU. You never know.
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:42:36 PM

jay2tall said:
I'd be curious to see what effect each of those components has on temps. For example if the back plate removes the most heat, or if the bracket does. My guess is the back plate is pulling some heat off the card. I can't imagine the bracket is doing THAT much for airflow. It's a bit of work just only my curiosity, so I won't expect an answer. :D 

I was going to try install one piece and put it in to test then install the other but being that I've heard the backplate does nothing for temps I just put both in. I do agree though the backplate has to be playing some part cause the bracket doesn't completely convince me that it's doing all that work when the specs only claim a drop of 4C
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 5:49:03 PM

jay2tall said:

I keep an OC of 100/200 all the time. However, I've tested for hours on 150/500 and have had no issues. This is with my modified fan profile that sits at 70-75C depending on what I do. The fan profile is not super aggressive, but it is a straight incline from 40C@30% to 90C@80%(or whatever the max is for the cooler). That max OC is still the luck of the draw. The GPU next to mine on the wafer might have been your GPU. You never know.

I've been running at +140/+200 but I know I can hit 170/400 (probably higher on the memory). While I'm not as concerned with the core clocks, DDR5 memory scares me a bit. The craze with OCing and flashing 6950's showed that even though a system seems stable, a high DDR5 memory overclock can shorten the life of it dramatically as a result, I'm being cautious with the memory clock.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 6:02:24 PM

bystander said:
I've been running at +140/+200 but I know I can hit 170/400 (probably higher on the memory). While I'm not as concerned with the core clocks, DDR5 memory scares me a bit. The craze with OCing and flashing 6950's showed that even though a system seems stable, a high DDR5 memory overclock can shorten the life of it dramatically as a result, I'm being cautious with the memory clock.

That is why i usually keep it at 100/200. However, I know I have that 150/500 on reserve if it's ever needed. Although my ASUS card carries a 3 year warranty and I do not expect to own it that long, so I'm not worried. :D 
m
l
April 18, 2012 6:13:17 PM

Now this is interesting. So temps really dropped that much just because of the bracket and backplate?

I modified my fan profile and temps dropped from 75 to 68C.

Would the EVGA parts also work with other brand's (none EVGA) reference 680 though?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 18, 2012 9:35:14 PM

shoot you said:
Now this is interesting. So temps really dropped that much just because of the bracket and backplate?

I modified my fan profile and temps dropped from 75 to 68C.

Would the EVGA parts also work with other brand's (none EVGA) reference 680 though?

I did the same with my fan profile. I am not convinced on this bracket and back plate. It is nice if it came stock on my card, but really if I wanted cooler temps I'd spring for a big aftermarket cooler. I think the card runs cool enough for any decent overclock.
m
l
May 2, 2012 4:06:47 AM

Yeah thats what I did with my GTX 560 Ti. But for now im getting 64-67C under extreme load (unigine, 3dmark11, furmark) and around 56-58C for gaming is quite satisfactory for me so no aftermarket coolers yet. Oh and this is with an ambient temp of 31-33C (yes its hot over here, this is just crazy summer heat)

P.S. I just got my friend's stock 680 bracket (since he upgraded to the high flow one) and cut out the grills and basically made a really big hole for air to pass through. The temps didnt move for me. I still got the same range of 64-67C. My friend reported that the high flow just reduced his temps by 1-2C.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 4:52:55 AM

Did the fan speeds change?
m
l
May 7, 2012 1:49:05 AM

Nope no change in the fan speeds. Now I have reduced the speed. hahahaha. Anyway Im currently using adaptive vsync so there is no real need to monitor temps since they are always below 64C hahahaha.

@bystander: We have very similar rigs hahahaha
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 2:27:20 AM

I haven't liked adaptive vsync for my setup. I'm sure I'd like it more if I had a 60hz monitor, but at 120hz, I end up with no v-sync, even if I have 120 FPS. Though v-sync works better on 120hz monitors.
m
l
May 7, 2012 6:46:12 AM

this also depends on your room temp, if you got a 60c room temp then seeing your gpu at idle would even be like full load for others.

but yeah most of these depends on your room temp but the back plate sure are nice.
m
l
May 7, 2012 5:33:06 PM

bystander said:
I haven't liked adaptive vsync for my setup. I'm sure I'd like it more if I had a 60hz monitor, but at 120hz, I end up with no v-sync, even if I have 120 FPS. Though v-sync works better on 120hz monitors.

True if I had a 120hz monitor i would turn vsync off too but I only own a 60hz one so no real issue for me.

I agree for aesthetic purposes the backplate really is a winner.
m
l
May 7, 2012 5:33:13 PM

bystander said:

True if I had a 120hz monitor i would turn vsync off too but I only own a 60hz one so no real issue for me.

I agree for aesthetic purposes the backplate really is a winner.
m
l
!