Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 on SLI Slower than Non-SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 6:45:01 PM

Hello guys:

It is my first post on this forum, so I hope I can find some answers to the questions that I have from all of you out there.

This is my case scenario. I recently built a PC from new and used components with hopes of improving my gaming experience.
My hardware includes:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
VGA: 2x GTX-560 (non-Ti) 1GB of VRAM/card.
CPU: Athlon 64 X4 640 @ 3.6 Ghz
PSU: 750 Watt Cooler Master 80 Plus Bronze.
Hard Drive: 250 GB Samsung 5400 rpm
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Games that I've played so far with this PC are:
Skyrim
Battlefield 3

Whenever I play with one card I get steady frame rates between:
Skyrim (Ultra): 30-50 FPS
Battlefield 3 (High): 30-50 FPS

The issue is that when I enable SLI I get lower performance than with a single card, and even worse, when playing Battlefield 3 at the beginning seems fine with 60-65 FPS but after two or three minutes it becomes unplayable.

My question is:
What do you suggest to improve my system? (With the current hardware)

Also, I ran this hardware with an AMD FX-6100 @ 4.2 Ghz and the performance was even lower that those numbers up there.

Thank you.

More about : gtx 560 sli slower sli

April 12, 2012 6:49:19 PM

Because of the low-end cpu, it's using resources to split the workload of the 2 graphics cards, instead of using them to make the games run more smoothly.
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:50:53 PM

stingstang said:
Because of the low-end cpu, it's using resources to split the workload of the 2 graphics cards, instead of using them to make the games run more smoothly.

What about the when I used the FX-6100...what do you think about that?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:08:33 PM

In BF3 game type `render.drawfps 1
Get MSI Afterburner get it show temp/gpu use on screen

Get your game video in BF3 to Ultra and Maxx out AA. Get into a 64 large out door map.

Your gpu use should be at max for both cards. If it is not, you need re do your drivers.

I run a 560 sli, z68, i5 set up. This last BF3 update has caused some GUP use issues but they were fixed after I did a clean driver re install.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:14:08 PM

That could be temperature issue if it works at first and then drops.. As you know, SLI configurations need very good ventilation.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:23:41 PM

Sunius said:
That could be temperature issue if it works at first and then drops.. As you know, SLI configurations need very good ventilation.

My 560s are in a 912 and there is a 10c difference. A extra fan on the main card and a fan at the back of the case right below the main gup outputs did the trick for me. There is only 5c difference now. My cards have about 1" space between them as well. Temps tend to be 65-70c under load.
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:58:36 PM

Hello guys...thanks for your input.

some additional information...yes cards are very well ventilated (well that's what I think...)
1 200mm intake fan in the front of my HAF 912
1 200mm exhaust fan on top
1 120mm exhaust on the side window (next to cards)
1 120mm exhaust on the back.

One strange thing is that previously to this build I had with the same cpu...but different board a GTX 460 SC and with that setup I would ~17500 Score on 3DMark06 now when I do the same test with the same CPU and same frequency but on GTX 560 SLI I get a score of ~16700. Again weird thing. Temperature on the cards are good when running the test, 71 C Max on top card and 63 C Max on lower card. They are spaced properly 1'' between each card
m
l
April 12, 2012 10:01:01 PM

loops said:
My 560s are in a 912 and there is a 10c difference. A extra fan on the main card and a fan at the back of the case right below the main gup outputs did the trick for me. There is only 5c difference now. My cards have about 1" space between them as well. Temps tend to be 65-70c under load.

What FPS do you get on Battlefield 3 Ultra Settings... let's say on Caspian Border, while you are on ground combat?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:16:11 PM

Ultra, no AA, I get 60-70c temps, max gpu use on both cards and stay at 60 fps. I may dip in the 50s only if the *** rly hits the fan. Like when the tank, nads, guns, and tower thing falls next to me at the end of the round. V-snc is on most times (I take it off just to see the FPS hit the 100s at times :whistle:  )
m
l
April 12, 2012 10:27:13 PM

That's great I would love to constantly have that kind of FPS but you see you have very good processor. 'm trying to find which AMD processor can be comparable to your i5 because I really can't afford right now a different board and another cpu...this one is 3 week old!

What do you think on that comment I made in regards to my 3DMark 06 scores....does that make any sense to you?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:27:23 PM

kevin euceda said:
Hello guys...thanks for your input.

some additional information...yes cards are very well ventilated (well that's what I think...)
1 200mm intake fan in the front of my HAF 912
1 200mm exhaust fan on top
1 120mm exhaust on the side window (next to cards)
1 120mm exhaust on the back.

One strange thing is that previously to this build I had with the same cpu...but different board a GTX 460 SC and with that setup I would ~17500 Score on 3DMark06 now when I do the same test with the same CPU and same frequency but on GTX 560 SLI I get a score of ~16700. Again weird thing. Temperature on the cards are good when running the test, 71 C Max on top card and 63 C Max on lower card. They are spaced properly 1'' between each card

I have the same fan set up but I got rid of the side fan. It did nothing at best.

Just to make sure, you can not run Ulta with AA on. You don't have the gpu ram. The dips on ultra with AA on is due to the less than 1.5 gpu ram on the cards.

Run this test in BF 3:

in game type `render.drawfps 1 and have afterburner show temp/ and gpu use

Get into a full 64 pl out door map

Turn V-sinc off

Run the game at med w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS and gpu use per card
Run the game at high w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS and gpu use per card
Run the game at ultra w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS and gpu use per card

You should see level gpu use in sli with med only using half of the cards. At ultra your use should be max. Once you hit max AA you will see real hits in fps.

I don't have micro shutter issues w/ my set up...just gpu ram and AA issues.

There is a FXAA injector that I am looking into but have yet to make my mind up about it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:35:15 PM

kevin euceda said:
That's great I would love to constantly have that kind of FPS but you see you have very good processor. 'm trying to find which AMD processor can be comparable to your i5 because I really can't afford right now a different board and another cpu...this one is 3 week old!

What do you think on that comment I made in regards to my 3DMark 06 scores....does that make any sense to you?

I don't think there is an AMD chip that can match the i5. A i3 is closer to the top end AMD chip.

I need to run 3d mark again but the 1st time I did I got low scores. Once I OC the cpu/gpus I got comparable marks.

IMO, if you can mix high/ultra w/o AA you should not spend more money. I think you should be able to. Run that test and get back to us.
m
l
April 12, 2012 10:40:10 PM

loops said:
I have the same fan set up but I got rid of the side fan. It did nothing at best.

Just to make sure, you can not run Ulta with AA on. You don't have the gpu ram. The dips on ultra with AA on is due to the less than 1.5 gpu ram on the cards.

Run this test in BF 3:

in game type `render.drawfps 1 and have afterburner show temp/ and gpu use

Get into a full 64 pl out door map

Turn V-sinc off

Run the game at med w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS
Run the game at high w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS
Run the game at low w/ no AA...then max AA...note FPS

You should see level gpu use in sli with med only using half of the cards. At ultra your use should be max. Once you hit max AA you will see real hits in fps.

I don't have micro shutter issues w/ my set up...just gpu ram and AA issues.

There is a FXAA injector that I am looking into but have yet to make my mind up about it.

sorry for being a noob! but I don't know what this is...

"in game type `render.drawfps 1..."

My afterburner is on and I have it showing all that info and yes i will try to do what you suggested.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:44:19 PM

use "Render.DrawFps 1" in the in-game console to show the framerate in the top right corner.
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:35:36 PM

loops said:
use "Render.DrawFps 1" in the in-game console to show the framerate in the top right corner.

I did what you asked my friend and no luck...one card runs smoother than having the SLI enabled.

Results:
1 Card...
High Preset: 45-55 FPS
Ultra Preset:33-40 FPS (on this one by the way everything was maxed out)

SLI
High Preset: 25-30 FPS
Ultra Preset: 15 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caspian Border 64 players

WTH is that?!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 11:42:28 PM

its a Phenomenon known as "bottlenecking". Bottlenecking is when one component is hold the other back. In your case, you have a huge bottleneck. My suggestion.... Get a new CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 2:25:57 AM

kevin euceda said:
I did what you asked my friend and no luck...one card runs smoother than having the SLI enabled.

Results:
1 Card...
High Preset: 45-55 FPS
Ultra Preset:33-40 FPS (on this one by the way everything was maxed out)

SLI
High Preset: 25-30 FPS
Ultra Preset: 15 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caspian Border 64 players

WTH is that?!

both gpus were at max use in sli?
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:01:10 AM

loops said:
both gpus were at max use in sli?

yes they were sir...as well as their memory.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:15:52 AM

Well I've a gtx 460 sli and a phenom ii 955 OC to 3.6. I run BF 3 above 60 (all ultrra at 1080p, just no aa) in campain, in multiplayer it's above 60 but it has some frame drops so when I play multi I set all to high. I think you have a driver problem, it's not bootlenecking 'cause the 6100 would get bottlenecked with a 560 sli, could be a driver issue or a conflict with the sound driver (I've your same mobo and I had a problem with the sound driver once), so here is my advise:

1. Discard hardware issues by running benchmarks like unigine haven, 1st with sli deactivated then with sli active (you can do that from nvidia control panel). If you find any inconsistance like in bf3 try each card individualy
2. Update the realtek auio driver, if it doesn't work change to an older driver (285 was ok with the bf3 sli profile)
3. It wouldn't hurt to test your ram using memtest 86

That's all I got, good luck!
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:19:40 AM

Sorry I forgot to say that the AMD 8150 matches (not 100% but still) the intel !5 and it's around 300US, you can get it above 4000ghz kinda easy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 4:35:13 PM

OK...a few more things I'd look into:

Have you checked your power settings in both Nvidia and Windows control panels?
Power management set to prefer maximum performance?
Run a test for each card alone? (One card installed at a time)
Try installing the other drivers? for the gpu and maybe as davemaster84 suggests
Bad SLI bridge?
PSU issue?

If all that checks out or no help...CPU bottleneck...New CPU would be the thing to try...
m
l
April 21, 2012 7:04:49 AM

loops said:
OK...a few more things I'd look into:

Have you checked your power settings in both Nvidia and Windows control panels?
Power management set to prefer maximum performance?
Run a test for each card alone? (One card installed at a time)
Try installing the other drivers? for the gpu and maybe as davemaster84 suggests
Bad SLI bridge?
PSU issue?

If all that checks out or no help...CPU bottleneck...New CPU would be the thing to try...

So here's an update guys...

I got rid of my AMD machine, after so many research, reading scores and blogs I concluded that yes AMD is reliable and nice but it doesn't come close to the performance Intel delivers and in that note....

I changed the previous hardware and got a new board, cpu and card.

New hardware:

Intel i5-2500K
Asus P8Z68-V
HD 6870 (had to substitute the two gtx cards because of the higher price of the cpu and board).

I'm currently satisfied with what I get.

3DMark 06 scores are at 26500 which is 10000 higher that my SLI config.
Battlefield at Ultra, no AA is around 50 FPS Caspian Border 64 people. Again compared to 20-25 FPS on SLI.

So I don't know if it was a matter of the CPU or power...no idea, but the thing is that by changing to different hardware and one card only at the moment I get better performance than before.

I want to say thanks to all of you guys...and specially Loops who was giving lots of tips on how to make it work and understand that with 1 Gb of memory AA is not meant to used.
m
l
!