Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GRAPHICS CARD TO HOT??!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 8:01:46 PM

I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS 240
When I dont play, my graphics card temperature is about 79-89 Celsius.
When I play my games, it is about 99 Celsius. 4 minutes after, it goes over 100 degrees celsius!
How do I fix this?
My monitor always turns off.

More about : graphics card hot

a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:05:23 PM

Hi,

What case/cooling system are you using for your computer? My guess is your video card's overheating and causing your monitor shut downs...

Seeing as you have a GTS 240, I assume you've had it for a while? have you cleaned and rebuilt your computer lately? could just be your video card's fan has clogged or died...
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:05:41 PM

Is it fanless?
Do you have a proper airflow to your case? What's the ambient temperature?
And yes this temps are pretty much high and can damage your GPU quickly.
Score
Related resources
April 12, 2012 8:07:53 PM

vmem said:
Hi,

What case/cooling system are you using for your computer? My guess is your video card's overheating and causing your monitor shut downs...

Seeing as you have a GTS 240, I assume you've had it for a while? have you cleaned and rebuilt your computer lately? could just be your video card's fan has clogged or died...

I've cleaned the fans including my graphics card fan.
I cleaned MOST of the dust out.
Do I have to open up my graphics card? Will there be dust inside?
I forgot to mention I cleaned my heat sink.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 8:58:39 PM

andydork5 said:
I've cleaned the fans including my graphics card fan.
I cleaned MOST of the dust out.
Do I have to open up my graphics card? Will there be dust inside?
I forgot to mention I cleaned my heat sink.

Cool, that sounds like a good start. as for dust inside your graphics card (aka between the cooler enclosure and the PCB itself), I think there'll almost always be dust there, the amount will depend on how dusty you let your computer get, but usually it doesn't affect cooling too much unless you literally have a blanket of dust in there or something

If you haven't done this already, try running your system with the case open, pay close attention to your fans and make sure they all spin up.
April 13, 2012 2:30:57 AM

vmem said:
Cool, that sounds like a good start. as for dust inside your graphics card (aka between the cooler enclosure and the PCB itself), I think there'll almost always be dust there, the amount will depend on how dusty you let your computer get, but usually it doesn't affect cooling too much unless you literally have a blanket of dust in there or something

If you haven't done this already, try running your system with the case open, pay close attention to your fans and make sure they all spin up.

Thanks!
My Graphics Card is now about 30 degrees celsius lower!
It is now 50 degrees celsius when IDLE!
Then when I play, it is about 65 degrees celsius!
Thank You!
I cleaned the inside of my graphics card and it worked!
Score
April 13, 2012 2:31:24 AM

Best answer selected by andydork5.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 2:51:15 AM

Great news! glad to hear that some dusting was all it took :) 
Score
May 22, 2012 9:21:34 PM

vmem said:
Hi,

What If the laptop is cleaned more than 3 times and been in service center for 4 times and the motherboard with graphic card was changed twice ,and still gfx is heating upto 89 degree and with cooling pad it's 92 degree and motherboards and cpu heating upto 96 degrees , please temme does my laptop requires a replacement , and it also shuts automatically , the day it came from the service center

Please reply me quickly coz ,dell's driving me crazy
Score
May 22, 2012 9:24:13 PM

and I have GT-525m graphic card and intel i5-2410M processor
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 8:38:02 PM

your laptop is shutting down automatically because the CPU is overheating. Intel CPUs are built to do that. and it's a good thing because it prevents permanent damage to your laptop.

That said, your laptop is definitely clean if it's been through so much. it sounds to me like there might be a power management issue, either with the power cord (the converter box on the cord), or the battery. overall, I feel like something's shooting too much power into your components
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 8:40:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!