Solved

~$1300 High Performance (ish) PC - first build advice

Approximate Purchase Date: Tonight or tomorrow

Budget Range: $1160 (max)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: A little gaming (on max settings if possible :D ), a little video editing, surfing the net, email, etc.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, HDD, OS, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country: US

Parts Preferences: AMD mobo/processor

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: Just bought a 23" hannspree LCD from newegg - res. slips my mind

Additional Comments: Size and quietness isn't a huge issue. Just need a pc that does what I want.

**parts I've selected**

CPU - AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2ghz AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009

CPU Heatsink - Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

PSU - Corsair 850W (I know it's overkill) Modular active PFC silver plus certified
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Mobo - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard w/ UEFI Bios
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

Graphics - Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb 256-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16gb (I know it's overkill) 1866 (2x8gb) Dual channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231528

Optical Drive - LG SATA DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136247

Case - Cooler Master ATX Full tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

I'm currently right at my 1160 mark, I've got a surge protector, ESD strap, and some fans in the cart too. I'm ready to hit the checkout button if you guys say everything is compatible and is a decent setup. I've done a LOT of research the past few weeks and I think this is pretty good.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1300 high performance build advice
  1. Been reading some of these threads. If you see somewhere I can save cash, upgrade/downgrade, whatever, do let me know. I'm open to changing parts for the best performance and price.
  2. If you plan to game, why get Amd? The i5-3570k is better than the FX-4170 at pretty much everything.

    Anyway, here's my intel build:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9AGI

    Since you don't need an OS, you can save the money, or use it to get a better case, something like the Carbide 500r:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
  3. Merueth said:
    If you plan to game, why get Amd? The i5-3570k is better than the FX-4170 at pretty much everything.


    I'm happy to consider that. Would I need a different mobo, then, too?

    EDIT: Duh. Any suggestions for a dif. mobo?
  4. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9OWk

    The ASRock Extreme4 is very good, something like the gigabyte z77-ud3h would also work fine.
  5. Merueth said:
    If you plan to game, why get Amd? The i5-3570k is better than the FX-4170 at pretty much everything.

    Anyway, here's my intel build:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9AGI

    Since you don't need an OS, you can save the money, or use it to get a better case, something like the Carbide 500r:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010


    Can you move some cash around a little? I don't need a hard drive or an OS
  6. Dah, I keep replying too late lol.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9OXw

    IMO, you don't need 16GB of RAM as it is better spent on an SSD, but it's up to you.
  7. Merueth said:
    Dah, I keep replying too late lol.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9OXw


    Would it be smart to still get the hyper 212 EVO?

    EDIT: I've heard SSDs are overrated. I'm a little hesitant to spend the cash on one, especially as I already have a hard drive
  8. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1121.88
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-09 23:04 EDT-0400)
  9. Merueth said:
    If you plan to game, why get Amd? The i5-3570k is better than the FX-4170 at pretty much everything.

    Anyway, here's my intel build:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9AGI

    Since you don't need an OS, you can save the money, or use it to get a better case, something like the Carbide 500r:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010


    Oyer said:
    Would it be smart to still get the hyper 212 EVO?

    If you are going to overclock in the future, then buy the Hyper 212 EVO when you decide to.
  10. bigcyco1 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1121.88
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-09 23:00 EDT-0400)


    Love it. Thanks for the advice.
  11. Oyer said:
    Love it. Thanks for the advice.
    No problem!Your very welcome! ;)
  12. Oyer said:
    Love it. Thanks for the advice.

    You should probably get a 750 watt PSU for future SLI though.
  13. NO SSD. my 7200 oughta do me just fine
  14. Merueth said:
    You should probably get a 750 watt PSU for future SLI though.


    I was planning on it :)
  15. Best answer selected by Oyer.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product