Need Help Achieving +20 FPS, (AMD 4100, Radeon HD 7770)

Stylo

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey all. I had a thread in the GPU section but some suggested maybe I can gain an FPS performance by overclocking my CPU.

I'm trying to gain about 20 FPS in the game Guild Wars 2.

First off, here's my system specs:
CPU: AMD FX-4100 + Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling
Memory: 8 GB DDR3/1600MHz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support
PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 80
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770

Remarkably, this game runs very well on this low end system. My average FPS on high settings is between 50-60 FPS. There is one portion of the game that it struggles in, and it is during massive PvP battles of 50+ players. I benchmarked the performance in town and in high rendering battles. Here's a screenshot in town, the numbers in Core Temp and CPU-Z you see are exactly the same during a battle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So since the numbers seen in the screenshot are the same in town and in massive battles, where should I suspect that my bottleneck occurs?

Cheers

Try to overclock to the 4170 speeds of 4.2ghz or higher, temp dont seem bad if max is 27c, and is it the cpu or gpu thats causing the fps limit? if cpu oc and see if piledriver quad core is worth it lol

didnt notice u asked where the bottleneck occurs lol, but ur best bet to find out is to see what part is using around 99% where the other isnt. It seems from the screen shot that ur cpu isnt fully being used but not sure how many cores GW2 utilizes, find out what ur gpu use is with msi afterburner or HWiNFO64, the 4100 and 7770 seem to be a good balance between the two so i doubt that if theres a noticable bottleneck its not much.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
You're definitely going to need to overclock that CPU to try to get better performance. MMO's and games with lots of people around need more cpu power. Try clocking it up there to 4.2 as stated above. Cheers.

Stylo

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Does an 70-80% load on the CPU create any bottleneck for FPS or only 99-100% load? Should I suspect that is MOSTLY the low end HD 7770 video card?

I think my plan for an inexpensive upgrade to get me through the next year or two is to get the Radeon HD 7850 and overclock my FX4100. I'm sure around Cyber Monday in November that prices should fall at least 10% on that card.

I tried testing guildwars with AMD parts and the results turned up whether you use a HD 7770 or HD 7970 GHZ edition the results don't show significant improvement. If you are not aware GW2 is CPU dependant and the GPU essentially is a passenger, the converse if you play a game like BF3 that is GPU bound you will easily get 60-70FPS on ultra settings with your setup.

I can only suggest you turn graphics orientated setting to lower presets, since GW2 is nothing spectacular graphically I don't believe you will be missing out much. While the 7770 is limiting you, the game is not well coded for AMD modules and hence the scaling will be poor irrespective of using a FX 8XXX or FX 4XXX the game still struggles.