Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will the new z77 chipset allow SLI with pcie 2.0 and 3.0 video cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2012 8:42:20 PM

Hi everyone, I plan on building a new system this summer with the new z77 chipset along with an ivy bridge processor (when ever it is safe to buy them). My question is will I be able to SLI my older graphics card (in my case an EVGA 8800gt) with a pci-e 3.0 video card in the future? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I really have no clue.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 9:04:10 PM

You can't SLI two different types of cards, period. You have to have two of the same card.
April 12, 2012 9:09:49 PM

Best answer selected by kpg993.
Related resources
April 12, 2012 9:13:38 PM

wow... sorry about that. I thought I read somewhere that you could sli two different GPUs. So I guess the GPUs must have an identical core or something? Im kind of new to SLI if you didn't already notice.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 9:19:35 PM

kpg993 said:
Im kind of new to SLI if you didn't already notice.

No worries, you have to start somewhere.

Quote:
wow... sorry about that. I thought I read somewhere that you could sli two different GPUs. So I guess the GPUs must have an identical core or something?

Unfortunately, you need the exact same GPU for SLI. Crossfire is a bit more forgiving, allowing you to use GPUs that are effectively the same, like paring up a 6990 with a 6970 for an effective 3x 6970 setup. If you want to SLI your 8800GT, you'll need another 8800GT with the same amount of memory and preferably, the same brand.

Really not worth it with a card that old, you'd get better performance just buying a single current gen card and it will use a hell of a lot less power, generate less heat and won't suffer from micro stuttering.
April 12, 2012 9:21:31 PM

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping I could get a gtx 600 when the price drops... significantly lol.
!