Sign in with
Your question

Random Game Freezes

Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2012 2:10:19 AM

So recently my gaming PC has been freezing, staying frozen for 30 seconds to a minute, then unfreezing and playing with no problems, only to freeze again in a couple minutes. This only happens while playing games, not while simply browsing the internet. It has nothing to do with my PC being able to handle the game, because it's able to play Skyrim on highest settings, and this will happen on Minecraft low settings. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
SMB2430H (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (EVGA)
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST31000524AS (SATA)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B

More about : random game freezes

a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 2:36:25 AM

It could be that even if your CPU can play skyrim at ultra you may be overworking it causing it be stressed out to 100% usage at random times which causes lag spikes. Unless its a decent dual core or quad core (or anything higher) then try defragging your hard drive with the windows disk defragmentation and do a registry cleanup.
m
l
October 9, 2012 2:42:04 AM

I Put Specs up, I have a good quad core. Do you think it could be a software problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 2:56:36 AM

Ok, I now know that the problem cannot exist in the hardware as your specs are quite good for modern gaming. I suggest you download ccleaner and defraggler. With CCleaner let it clean out junk and then use the registry cleaner. With degfraggler let is degrag the hard drive which may take a long time depending on how much gigabytes you have used on the hard drive. I suggest defragging it overnight.

Here are the links:

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

Dont worry they are absolutely free, there is no trial period or no locked out functions until you pay. Let me know how things turn out. Also how old is your graphics card and what are your temperatures on the cpu and the video card? While playing a game run HWmonitor to find out the temperature while gaming. Here is the link for that(its also free):
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

m
l
October 22, 2012 10:57:08 PM

I finally got around to running defragglerm but not Ccleaner (I just don't really get how to use it, and don't think it all that necessary) Didn't really do much of anything. Could this be a software problem? I checked the temps and they seem fine, definitely not bad enough to be causing these problems. I am just at a complete loss and have no idea what could be causing this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2012 11:43:59 PM

Ok did you run HWmonitor while gaming? What was you maximum temperature on the cpu? I have a feeling it may be related to overheating and the processor is down-clocking itself to prevent damage and reduce heat. If your temperatures are fine then its probably your hard drive aging and showing signs of failing, how old is your hard drive?
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:01:06 AM

The entire rig is a little bit less than a year old, I checked with HWmonitor and the graphics card peeked at about 76C while the CPU at about 45. This was while play Tribes Ascend, though, what's weird is that it didn't freeze up, I'm thinking this might only be happening with steam games. Could their be a reason for that?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 10:25:19 AM

Well there is your problem, you claim the max temperature your CPU peaks at is 76 degrees, the maximum safe temperature for that CPU is 72.6 degrees according to intel. The CPU downclocks itself when it overheats in an attempt to lower temperatures by also lowering voltage. I am not sure if Tribes Ascend is a demanding game but it does not seem to have need for a high clock speed. Bethseda/Steam games on the other hand are known to utilize more of the CPU than GPU which is why your CPU lags because of the downclock causes noticeable FPS drops.

My solution to you is to either clean out your heatsink with compressed air, and then re-apply thermal paste to it such as MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5 or something as good as those.

-Socialfox :) 
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:35:29 PM

Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my last post.
CPU's max temp. was about 45,
The graphics card max temp was about 76.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 2:46:10 PM

I'm wondering if the GPU driver is crashing, but successfully restarting? That would explain the symptoms at least.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:50:48 PM

Maybe. It just stops, and often in will have a little sound loop from the game. Sidenote, before and after the freeze, the FPS will be fine, and it will go on a bit after the freeze and the FPS will be totally smooth, than it freezes again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2012 6:55:15 PM

Ah, sorry about that was in the early morning I replied and I was still not fully awake. Anyways if that is the case your temperatures are not an issue, your video card's max temperature is 99 degrees as stated on the NVIDIA website. I do reccomend the CCleaner cleanup since it has helped others with your issue and with really good hardware.

Take time to read this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/115313-13-games-freez...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 11:57:17 AM

I would do a checkdisk sounds like your hard drive is acting up.
I have much lower specs and am able to run Skyrim on Ultra at 1080
So it might be your hard drive causing the pauses.
m
l
November 7, 2012 2:03:28 AM

So ran the checkdisk, and I THINK I've was able to find the results from event viewer. What am I exactly supposed to be looking for?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2012 8:29:46 AM

Did checkdisk find any errors? Any sort of error message in event viewer in relation to applications.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2012 12:25:13 PM

Check the Action Center; It REALLY sounds like the GPU driver is crashing, but recovering. All the right symptoms are there...
m
l
!