Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New power-supply and cpu cooler

Last response: in Components
Share
October 9, 2012 3:28:08 AM

Hello,before I get started here are my pc specifications;

Motherboard : ASRock m3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM : 8GBs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 Series ATX Power Supply

Okay. Sometime next week I'll be picking up a new power supply and cpu cooler and I have a few questions about these two things. Regarding the CPU cooler,I've decided on this --> ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

1. Will this cooler be sufficent for cooling my cpu down while gaming?
2. Does it come with thermal pasting?
3. Can I use that thermal pasting on my graphics card also?
Now for the power supply,I've decided on these select few;

1) Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2) CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3) CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Out of these which should I pick? I know the Corsair 750 will probably perform the best,but I thought I'd ask the forums for their opinions and recommendations before mindlessly buying one.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies. If you could recommend anything that is better,but price oriented than what I listed, I can check them out.

Best solution

a c 266 ) Power supply
a c 233 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:24:17 AM

The TX3 is a decent cooler and should allow for a decent overclock. If you plan on leaving the CPU at stock speed there is no reason to buy an aftermarket cooler. It comes with thermal paste

Don't put aftermarket paste on your graphics card unless you know what you are doing and are OK with voiding your warranty.

All of those power supplies are top quality and way more than you need. With a single GTX 560 you only need a ~500 watt power supply and that assumes a generic quality model.

Having a more powerful power supply will not increase your performance even 1/2 of 1%. Components only draw the power that they need.

For that system I would pick one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Share
October 9, 2012 4:37:16 AM

anort3 said:
The TX3 is a decent cooler and should allow for a decent overclock. If you plan on leaving the CPU at stock speed there is no reason to buy an aftermarket cooler. It comes with thermal paste

Don't put aftermarket paste on your graphics card unless you know what you are doing and are OK with voiding your warranty.

All of those power supplies are top quality and way more than you need. With a single GTX 560 you only need a ~500 watt power supply and that assumes a generic quality model.

Having a more powerful power supply will not increase your performance even 1/2 of 1%. Components only draw the power that they need.

For that system I would pick one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Thanks for the reply. I'm buying the TX3 to solve my over-heating problem. Right now I use the standard AMD cooler that came with my Phenom cpu and it doesn't quite cut it for me.

Regarding the power-supply,in the past I've owned two 500-600w power supplies and they burnt out on me while gaming. However,they were off-brand,not 80 PLUS certified,so that was probably the cause. In the future I plan on upgrading my hardware which is why I was going for a decent 600-700w power-supply,but that's awhile from so I'm not to sure.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 266 ) Power supply
a c 233 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:43:36 AM

Any single graphics card will run fine on a quality 550w power supply. Even the ~$500 GTX 680 and HD 7970. The newer the card the less power it uses.


http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

If you really want to futureproof then this is the best deal I have seen in quite some time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=x6gLKBGU...

If that link fails newegg has the Seasonic X 650 on sale for $90 after sale and a $40 promo code. It may expire at any time though. It says 24 hours only and I'm not sure when the deal started. The X series are among the best power supplies made.
m
0
l
a c 266 ) Power supply
a c 233 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:49:05 AM

I just noticed you have a Thermaltake TR2. It on the other hand is one of the worst power supplies made.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

Thermaltake even prices them so if you don't know any better you would think they are high quality. Never buy a Thermaltake or a Coolermaster power supply. I would guess your 2 that burned out were more quality issues than wattage issues.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 6:08:20 PM

anort3 said:
I just noticed you have a Thermaltake TR2. It on the other hand is one of the worst power supplies made.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

Thermaltake even prices them so if you don't know any better you would think they are high quality. Never buy a Thermaltake or a Coolermaster power supply. I would guess your 2 that burned out were more quality issues than wattage issues.
Thanks for telling me. I've been told before about how poor these power-supplies are. out of the list of power-supplies you gave me,which would you prefer?
m
0
l
a c 266 ) Power supply
a c 233 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 7:25:08 PM

The Seasonic M12II. Seasonic is probably the best power supply manufacturer overall. They also make units for other brands like they make all of XFX's power supplies and they make many of the higher end Corsair power supplies. The XFX would be my close second choice but the M12II is modular and that is worth $10 at least to me.

Really all of those units are very good. You don't have to go with a Seasonic model for high quality. So if price is an issue any of those models are a huge step up in quality from what you have.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 10:57:34 PM

anort3 said:
The Seasonic M12II. Seasonic is probably the best power supply manufacturer overall. They also make units for other brands like they make all of XFX's power supplies and they make many of the higher end Corsair power supplies. The XFX would be my close second choice but the M12II is modular and that is worth $10 at least to me.

Really all of those units are very good. You don't have to go with a Seasonic model for high quality. So if price is an issue any of those models are a huge step up in quality from what you have.
Thanks for all your help.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 10:57:50 PM

Best answer selected by Anthony1025.
m
0
l
a c 266 ) Power supply
a c 233 à CPUs
October 10, 2012 12:03:42 AM

Anthony1025 said:
Thanks for all your help.



No problem at all. Glad I could help. :) 
m
0
l
!