Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2012 5:59:19 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: $7000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/Programing, movies, and so on. Also a big thing i wann try is building tweaking programs, so i guess i am looking for tweakability too.

Parts Not Required: non i am getting everything brand new.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, newegg

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: The highest while aslo getting a good respons time and great image. [i know it will get expensive so dont hold back]

Additional Comments: I have already ordered some parts, but other i am not so sure what do i want to get.

I have gotten an I7-3960x, Corsair h100 water cooling, Asus rampage extreme iv, GTX 690, 2X 1tb Velociraptor HDD, Cosmos II, lepa 1600w.

I really need advice regrading memory, I noticed the really fast memory has a very high latency. so any recommendations regarding what a certain model ? I need something good.

any more advices regarding stuff that i should buy ?

I am gonna get another 690 in a week or so. if i add another one i assume ill have to buy another psu and combine with the LEPA 1600w.

Should i buy water cooling and get some water blocks for my GTX 690, motherboard, memory, and hard drives ?

thank you for all your input !!

More about : build 7000 rig advice parts

a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 7:12:15 AM

$7000. I hope that's in pesos, or else you're way overspending for things that won't actually make a practical difference.

As far as RAM speed - just take the clock speed and divide by latency to get the "true" speed. Using that formula, 2133 RAM with a 10 or 11 latency is going to be slower than, say, 1600 RAM with a 7 or 8 latency, but not by a whole lot. Really, even a pretty significant difference in RAM speed is only going to make a couple percent difference in performance. The sweet spot in my experience right now is DDR3-2133 with a 9 latency or DDR3-1600 with a 7 latency, take your pick. A couple good examples of each (I have the former in this machine right now):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are not going to need another power supply. A GTX 690 takes a little over 400W at load; you won't come close to touching 1600W unless you had at least three of them, which I don't know why you'd do. There is also really no point to crossfired 690s unless you're playing on 3 Jumbotrons in Eyefinity.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_690/...

Instead of two velociraptor 1TB's, you're much better off just getting the biggest SSD you can.
m
l
a c 120 B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 7:18:20 AM

$7000? I don't think I could build a computer for that much if I tried. All I can say is, if you have that kind of money to spend on a system that will be yesterday's news in about 4 years, I'm accepting donations.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2012 7:58:11 AM

Technically, you could spend a lot more than $7000 especially if you put something like this inside: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-...

But, in my opinion, it is much more effective to spend around $1500 and just build the next system a little sooner. This way you will keep up with times and you will always have a system that is pretty modern which is better than be left with an ultra expensive but outdated system.
m
l
June 10, 2012 8:06:01 AM

am not interested in ssds haha.. money isnt a big deal for me.. i just decided out of no where to do it.. what about displays you guys ?
m
l
June 10, 2012 8:31:54 AM

You are concerned about getting high performance memory with high speeds and quick timings but you are not interested in getting an SSD. I am very confused, sir.
If money is not an issue, and even if it is, you should go to a retailer and pick the screen you like most. Other than quick response and resolution how the screen looks is most important and personal.
m
l
June 10, 2012 8:40:22 AM

wow. I wish people would stop building quad gpu "beasts" that will be the equivalent of a Pentium 4 in 5 years...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 9:05:30 AM

Well, just walk into the computer store and buy the components with the highest price tags :p 
m
l
June 10, 2012 3:55:53 PM

Well the thing is SSDs fail faster than hard drives.. meaning if i had games and documents on that thing it will fail with no earlier notice.. sure ill hae an SSD for boot up speed but to have an SSD raid and store documents, games, and programs on I am not interested simply because I hate it when a part starts failing why because IT ALWAYS HAPPENS OVER A WEEKEND OR A VOCATION haha thats how my luck has been so far.. but if you guys insist ill throw in an SSD only for OS..

as for the why spend so much money on something that will be as good as pentuim 4 in 5 years is basically i am planing on keeping until haswell cpus come out so thats what ? a little less that a year now ? say until they come out with all the extreme chipsets and cards around a year an a quarter ? thats how long am gonna keep this computer..

and LOL I WISH I COULD JUST GO TO THE STORE AND BUY EVERYTHING RETAIL PRICE !!!! i hate waiting i would pay the price difference just in order not to wait, but nothing in my area would actually sell everything i am looking for.. or at least nothing I know off I live in the bay area san francisco area if you know of anywhere in a 50 mile radius or even more that sells serious hardware like high end hardware please ! i would love to know the name ill go there today !

going to the screen part, the problem is the new IPS screens are amazing but their response time is like 8ms is that now too slow ? I really dont care about how it looks I care about the quality of the screen.

AND GUYS WHAT MEMORY SHOULD I GET xDDDD!!!!!???
m
l
June 10, 2012 4:27:20 PM

You can have SSD for OS and store important data on a normal harddrive you know.
m
l
June 10, 2012 4:56:46 PM

If you are seriously thinking in putting 3 GTX690 inside your case, I recommend strongly getting you hands on a real watercooling solution, Corsair H100 is nice, but it works as a Noctua NH-D14 but louder, instead of that watercooling all in one, get a custom one, one that can also cools your's GTX690.

All this being said I think putting so much money into a computer is a complete waste of money, try to look into this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-3770k-overclock-g... and see that putting double the money doesn't get you double performance
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:07:03 PM

My advice would be to stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on a PC when you will not benefit from spending that much.

Seriously $7000 on a pc just for games, programming, and films is moronic, sorry to put it bluntly.

You could spend $2000 and see the same results, and even that is overkill.

And I know, it's 'your' money, and you can do what you want with it.
But that money could be put into so much more, useful things, rather than just blowing your money away just because you can.

Just my perspective on it.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:59:32 PM

I agree with you guys. I defiantly know that what i am doing is fully retarded but you must understand, my whole life I never had consoles I never had computers that could even play mario, my first computer was in 11th grade and it turned on for an hour then it would turn off. I never got to experience this childhood gaming period and stuff.. I lived in a poor city in the gaza strip (ginien for thise of you who might be interested) we would get electricity 14 days a month the rest is living in the dark. that was until 4 years ago. today, I am a software engineer who just graduated college and also got a dam good job, and is living in the united states. I wanna know how it feels to own those things regardless of whether i will get the performance or not.. I am not doing this because i am expecting that an extra 690 will give me an extreme performance boost, I am not buying the 3690x because I dont know that the 3930k would not give me almost the same results for half the price. Is just this is something that i wanted to do my whole life i remember since the first time i got on the internet and that was 9th grade in the highschool library thats the first time i got exposed to all of this and ever since then thats all i wanted. Call me what you will ! I agree!! haha I am sure you think am crazy and much more but i dont care.. I wanna do this.

SO GUYS ! YOU WANNA HELP ME MAX THIS THING OUT OR NOT xD ???????
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 6:12:26 PM

Hehe well this is pretty ridiculous but here's some of my dream components in a dream case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme i7-3960X 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($1019.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($315.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($1007.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone TJ11B-W ATX Full Tower Case ($580.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 860W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Dell U3011 60Hz 30.0" Monitor ($1249.04 @ NCIX US)
Total: $5413.49
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-10 14:12 EDT-0400)

EDIT: oh yeah I picked the PSU to add another GTX690 now or maybe later. Use at least $500 for a proper custom water cooling loop, that case is awesome for that.
m
l
June 10, 2012 6:32:05 PM

salim19 said:
I wanna know how it feels to own those things regardless of whether i will get the performance or not.. I am not doing this because i am expecting that an extra 690 will give me an extreme performance boost, I am not buying the 3690x because I dont know that the 3930k would not give me almost the same results for half the price. Is just this is something that i wanted to do my whole life

It will feel the exact same as having parts that perform the exact same. Except you will have a metal box which cost you way too much, and doesn't do anything different.

Honestly, I know this is your dream or whatever, and sorry to be blunt again, but this aspiration is absolutely pathetic.
I've not even had much money or possessions growing up and even I would never have any kind of dream similar to this.

Don't let consumerism consume you.
m
l
a c 89 B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2012 6:37:47 PM

salim19 said:
am not interested in ssds haha.. money isnt a big deal for me.. i just decided out of no where to do it.. what about displays you guys ?

I think you are mistaken on SSD failure rates. Read this:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-7/components-ret...
Compare to the return rates for hard drives.
Intel SSD is .1% compared to the best hard drives at 1.15%

A good intel 520 series ssd in 240gb, or even 512gb will give you much better performance than the best velociraptors.
About 50x in random, and 3x in sequential.

With a unlimited budget, look at 2560 x 1600 30" monitors. Dell , HP and others make them. Budget $1200 or so for them.
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:02:03 PM

gekigami said:
It will feel the exact same as having parts that perform the exact same. Except you will have a metal box which cost you way too much, and doesn't do anything different.

Honestly, I know this is your dream or whatever, and sorry to be blunt again, but this aspiration is absolutely pathetic.
I've not even had much money or possessions growing up and even I would never have any kind of dream similar to this.

Don't let consumerism consume you.

Look man, trust me I dont let consumerism consume me. You never had this dream thats not my problem, I have money and I wanna spend i. It is NONE of your business HOW I will spend it, WHY I will spend it, WHEN will I spend it, and WHERE I will spend it. The only pathetic person in here is you, for thinking that you're in a position to think that what I want is pathetic, and in general judging me beyond an acceptable point. I am not stupid and I am not irrational, in fact I am most likely more educated than you, I could easily outsmart you and call you pathetic and look down on you. What I have achieved, and accomplished is most likely more than what you have. So dont think that just because I want to waste some money on something that you dont want to wast money on, I am stupid an ignorant. People buy expensive clothes, A BAG THAT COSTS $4000 that rips a week later. People buy expensive cars that break more than cheap ones, that will also give you more bang for you buck !. First go tell them to stop wasting money, and call them pathetic THEN , ONLY THEN come call me pathetic. You think one thing, I think another ! you have every right to disagree, but dont underestimate me, dont think you're better than others. Thats not the way to go in life, mr.blunt. I came here to ask about the build not what you think I should spend my money on. I could easily sit down and research this stuff on my own. I have and A+ degree on top of my college degrees, so I have had some experience with all the build a system, and optimize performance, and getting all obsessed on exact details just to come out with a system that will give me the MAX, but I decided to come and share with the community, dont hate.

*** OH AND ONE MORE THING ! WHAT I WENT THROUGH AS A CHILD IS PROBABLY NO WHERE WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH, YOU SEEM LIKE AN AMERICAN TO ME, OR MAYBE FROM SOME DEVELOPED COUNTRY, I GREW UP IN A WAR ZONE ! YOU THINKING THAT YOU CAN COMPARE YOUR LIFE TO MINE IS PATHETIC YOU ARE PATHETIC !

I didnt come here to fight, i can here with a positive attitude if this how this forum treats people I will be more than happy to leave thank you.
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:10:40 PM

geofelt said:
I think you are mistaken on SSD failure rates. Read this:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-7/components-ret...
Compare to the return rates for hard drives.
Intel SSD is .1% compared to the best hard drives at 1.15%

A good intel 520 series ssd in 240gb, or even 512gb will give you much better performance than the best velociraptors.
About 50x in random, and 3x in sequential.

With a unlimited budget, look at 2560 x 1600 30" monitors. Dell , HP and others make them. Budget $1200 or so for them.

WOW for some reason i thought when i was reading around that SSDs fail quicker since they are basically limited to how many times you can access them to read data. Thats pretty cool thanks Ill defiantly get one ! so which one ? the OCZ that you posted a link for or intel SSD ????

as for the monitor I wanna connect a minimum of 4 monitors so i think 30" would be a little overwhelming, 3 for gaming 1 for movies.

Thanks a lot man !!!

geofelt said:
Hehe well this is pretty ridiculous but here's some of my dream components in a dream case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme i7-3960X 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($1019.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($315.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($1007.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone TJ11B-W ATX Full Tower Case ($580.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 860W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Dell U3011 60Hz 30.0" Monitor ($1249.04 @ NCIX US)
Total: $5413.49
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-10 14:12 EDT-0400)

EDIT: oh yeah I picked the PSU to add another GTX690 now or maybe later. Use at least $500 for a proper custom water cooling loop, that case is awesome for that.

AWESOME !! THANKS ! but I think I want the option of going up to 64 gb do you have any 8GB kits that are good ?

Thanks bro !
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:39:48 PM

Dudes probably rich, if he wants to blow $10k on a computer let him, if I had the money I would
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:46:27 PM

Delengowski said:
Dudes probably rich, if he wants to blow $10k on a computer let him, if I had the money I would

LOL not yet, not yet !
m
l
June 10, 2012 7:48:36 PM

salim19 said:
WOW for some reason i thought when i was reading around that SSDs fail quicker since they are basically limited to how many times you can access them to read data. Thats pretty cool thanks Ill defiantly get one ! so which one ? the OCZ that you posted a link for or intel SSD ????

as for the monitor I wanna connect a minimum of 4 monitors so i think 30" would be a little overwhelming, 3 for gaming 1 for movies.

Thanks a lot man !!!

AWESOME !! THANKS ! but I think I want the option of going up to 64 gb do you have any 8GB kits that are good ?

Thanks bro !

With your budget, I would only consider Samsung 830 series, or Intel 520 series SSD's.
They come in several sizes, including around 240gb, and 480gb.

As to ram, buy a kit in the size you need. Do not buy multiple kits. Ram vendors will only support a single kit, not a mixed one, even made up of identical parts.

If you will use >16gb, then you will need windows 7 pro pr ultimate.
More than 16gb is of use only if you will be running 64 bit enabled apps, like photpshop.

If you are gaming on three monitors, then I don't see how you could be watching a movie at the same time. Three should be enough.
Look at the 27" 2560 x 1440 monitors from samsung. They have 178/178 viewing angles which can be important when you have several, side by side. It keeps the image from looking washed out when viewed at an angle.
m
l
June 10, 2012 8:15:07 PM

geofelt said:
With your budget, I would only consider Samsung 830 series, or Intel 520 series SSD's.
They come in several sizes, including around 240gb, and 480gb.

As to ram, buy a kit in the size you need. Do not buy multiple kits. Ram vendors will only support a single kit, not a mixed one, even made up of identical parts.

If you will use >16gb, then you will need windows 7 pro pr ultimate.
More than 16gb is of use only if you will be running 64 bit enabled apps, like photpshop.

If you are gaming on three monitors, then I don't see how you could be watching a movie at the same time. Three should be enough.
Look at the 27" 2560 x 1440 monitors from samsung. They have 178/178 viewing angles which can be important when you have several, side by side. It keeps the image from looking washed out when viewed at an angle.

So here is what i found
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... what do you think ? a raid of with another one of those ?

and as foe memory

or should i go lower speed and lower case latency ?

Thanks for you input !
m
l
June 10, 2012 8:24:20 PM

salim19 said:
So here is what i found
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... what do you think ? a raid of with another one of those ?

and as foe memory

or should i go lower speed and lower case latency ?

Thanks for you input !

Raid-0 is no good. If you need more capacity, just add the second ssd or hard drive.

Ram speed and latency mean little.
Read this article on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Let me give you my opininion.
Take your $7000 budget, and cut it in half.
Buy a great $3500 pc now, and invest the rest for two years.
IN two years, the cpu, graphics card, and ram will be obsolete.
Use the $3500 you saved and then replace your pc components with the next best thing.
If you buy great monitors, a good case, and a good psu, they will still be good then.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 1:47:59 PM

If you really want to have something for your own, and you've never built before, maybe you should consider just going into a local shop and having the guys there build it for you. They'll work with any budget and get you something great, just look on Google or Yelp for the best shop in your local area. That way you can avoid having something that will fail, since it'll be professionally built, and you can even negotiate or buy a warranty. Just my thoughts.

Also, there is a Microcenter in Santa Clara which should carry anything and everything high-end that you might want. Obviously the selection in store won't be as good as Newegg, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding the highest-end components there. As far as monitors, any Best Buy or Fry's should have a wide selection. http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/santa_clara.ht...
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:24:41 PM

I havent read the whole thread when I posted it, but here are my thoughts.
1. With that budget, WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU NOT GOING FOR SSDS? You could put 8 of them.
2. Maybe you could go for: ASUS Rampage IV Formula, 32/64GB RAM and 3 GTX 680s. Maybe even a RAID card and 8 SSDs.
Regarding RAM latency, I think someone already answered you.
3. You do know you can build a rig for less than $2000 and still overkill all that stuff, right? What are you planning to do?
4. Try Water-Cooling

Thought of it again, maybe with that budget you could go for an SR2, 2x 3960X and so on...
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:25:43 PM

And monitor? If you have that much money, go for the VE278Q
m
l