jackscrj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hello,
I have had this build for about 3 years now, it has been nothing but stable up til recently running win7 it freezez immediatly i did a clean install and it still freezez almost immediatly now after loading to desktop, all temps are fine, i have a q9550, p5qproturbo board asus, 4x2gb corsair 800mhz in dual channel, and a gts 250, the strange thing is that when i load a linux distro onto the harddisk it doesn't freeze at all or just some, so things i think i may be are psu or win drivers, i mem tested ram no errors,

If you did a clean install of Windows and the problem still persists, I think you can eliminate Windows drives as being a problem.

How long did you run Memtest? Run it for about 4 hours minimum. If you have any overclocks remove them. Consider trying another hard drive to install Windows on.

You didn't mention what PSU you have. That would be useful. How are your system temps?

jackscrj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I have a corsair vx450 from the time of the build, those were seasonic's if I remember.
I will try running memtest again i don't remember how long it ran.

system temps are overall good, i have it in a nzxt tempest good airflow lots of fans

I just did the clean install tonight and now it crashes, freezes, but not bsod right as it should reach desktop

I don't have any overclocks but i did shortly try some "less then a day or 2" after that but not immediately stablity problems started

One thing i did notice was i was able to get it to desktop with cpu voltage set as auto as i have had for 3 years , i started speedfan and when it froze it had a vcore at 1.02 which obviously seemed like it could be the issue then, it freezes when i initiate a click, but could this voltage be due to mb regulating or psu not giving stable juice

full sys specs
q9550
p5q pro turbo asus
gts 250 evga
caviar black 640gb
2x4gb 800mhz corsair ddr2
cooler master hyper 212+
corsair vx450

jackscrj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I ran memtest 86+ v4.2 off a disk for just under 9 hours overnight no memory errors, no freeze

so this narrows down to hd more i suppose or is psu still a possiblity

jackscrj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
sorry to blow this thread up but I did a psu calculator and it would appear with capacitance aging that my psu might be running out of juice, I was planning on upgrading my psu for a graphics upgrade anyways so I will try a new powersupply and see what happens

jackscrj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
The new psu arrived and unfortunately didn't solve the problem, so I am doing what i should have testing another hard drive, if this is to fail also, I guess that leaves me with a failing board or cpu is kinda fried