Sign in with
Your question

Asus z77 lx, prolimatech lynx & 670 vs asus z77 lk, h60 & 7950

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2012 7:29:41 AM

I can not comprimise and stretch my budget as it is already stretched.
My question is should i get a cheap cooler - prolimatech lynx over the h60 to get the 670

Option 1
ASUS P8Z77-V (LX) Intel Z77
Prolimatech Lynx CPU Cooler
ASUS GTX670

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS P8Z77-V (LK) Intel Z77
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Sapphire 7950 Dual-X OC Flex Edition
June 10, 2012 10:38:46 AM

exTerrestrial said:
I can not comprimise and stretch my budget as it is already stretched.
My question is should i get a cheap cooler - prolimatech lynx over the h60 to get the 670

Option 1
ASUS P8Z77-V (LX) Intel Z77
Prolimatech Lynx CPU Cooler
ASUS GTX670

OR

ASUS P8Z77-V (LK) Intel Z77
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Sapphire 7950 Dual-X OC Flex Edition

Considering both boards are not made for high overclocking, I would go with the GTX 670 route and keep the cpu at stock or overclock slightly.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 10, 2012 2:10:02 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99

You didn't list the cpu that you will be using so there's no way to know what your overclocking capabilities are. If the cpu is an Ivy Bridge then this cooler would work just fine given the low TDP of the Ivy Bridge to begin with and also since the cpu doesn't overclock as high as the Sandy Bridge there won't be the need for a bigger cooler. If your going with Sandy Bridge then this cooler will take you past 4.0ghz and possibly up to 4.5ghz , anything over that andd you will need a better cpu cooler. So untill I know more about the cpu the choice would be option 2.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2012 5:38:57 PM

inzone said:

You didn't list the cpu that you will be using so there's no way to know what your overclocking capabilities are. If the cpu is an Ivy Bridge then this cooler would work just fine given the low TDP of the Ivy Bridge to begin with and also since the cpu doesn't overclock as high as the Sandy Bridge there won't be the need for a bigger cooler. If your going with Sandy Bridge then this cooler will take you past 4.0ghz and possibly up to 4.5ghz , anything over that andd you will need a better cpu cooler. So untill I know more about the cpu the choice would be option 2.

You are ignoring the motherboards in his choices, both P8Z7V LX and P8Z77V LK has less than 4 power phases and is not made for overclocking. I don't think he can overclock much no matter what cooling he uses.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 10, 2012 5:58:24 PM

In your first post you said that both boards were not made for high overclocking and in your second post your now saying that they are not made for overclocking , so which is is it ?
I was also not addressing the capabilities of the motherboards but rather the choices of heatsink/fans and the fact that he didn't list the cpu so there was no way to know what the possabilities are.
m
l
June 10, 2012 6:14:59 PM

Go with option 1, GTX 670 is much better value than HD 7950 because like jacknhut said, both of your mainboards are not made for overclocking. You may be able overclock slightly but not much higher than that really no matter what cooling you use.

To inzone, I think what jacknhut meant is that both boards are low end and are made for people who don't overclock or overclock very slightly, thus both of his cooler choices are ok in this case, leaving the most important choice (GPU) as the determining factor.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 10, 2012 6:40:25 PM

DIGI+ VRM Digital Power Design
All-new digital CPU power controls work perfectly together to match digital power signal (SVID) requests from the CPU, with ultra-fast sensing and response efficiently delivering precision power. Accurate delivery reduces waste, and provides more stable CPU Vcore voltages. Users can adjust CPU PWM voltages and frequencies for various overclocking scenarios, with accurate input through UEFI BIOS tuning or the exclusive ASUS interface. This proprietary design increases overclocking headroom to push performance to its full potential.

This is what's listed in ther features of both boards and it doesn't sound to me like it's too low end and that you can't overclock the boards. Both these boards are the new Z77 chipset and are not low end. Don't forget were're talking about the Z-model here which is the higher end boards with more features then the H77 , Q77, B75 ,Q57 , QM57 , Q67 , which in all liklyhood will not overclock and are the real low end boards.

m
l
June 10, 2012 7:12:00 PM

inzone said:

Do you really believe the P8Z77V LX and V LK can go up to 4.5 Ghz with adequate cooling assuming the CPU is a K version? There is a reason why reviewers recommend at least a P8Z77V version for overclockers and not the V-LX or LK.

Also, Z77 allows overclocking, thats all it does. It does not guarantee that overclocking is stable or how high it can go. That depends on the power circuitry of the motherboard. In this case, the V LX and V LK has the minimum power phases (4) to power the CPU and thus overclocking expectation is pretty low.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 10, 2012 7:32:29 PM

Look ,I think your misunderstanding my original post and if you look at it again you will see that I was refering to the cpu cooler and its capabilities. Also I did not and still do not know what cpu he has and I stated that in my post. I also never mentioned the capabilities of either motherboard and was mainly refering to the cpu cooler and the lack of knowing what cpu he had. I actually only mentioned overclocking to say that the cpu cooler I was recomending can do the job and was less money. So to whatever extent he could overclock the cpu cooler would be a good choice and save a few bucks which seemed important to him.
m
l
!