Screen "Savers"

A real pet peeve of mine us calling screen display utilities
screen "savers". They do absolutely nothing to "save" anything
about the screen. They are the same as running any program
constantly - they're often unique and fun things, but you aren't
"saving" your screen with them!

To "save" your screen, it would have to be -black-; no phosphors
lit up from a beam on them.

But, if you're a greenie, guess which function requires the most
power? Yup, it's a total black screen.

They should be called screen "burners" if they insist on that
sort of a name.

It's aking to clicking "Start" to "Stop" your computer.

Pop
3 answers Last reply
More about screen savers

    "Pop" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >A real pet peeve of mine us calling screen display utilities
    >screen "savers". They do absolutely nothing to "save" anything
    >about the screen. They are the same as running any program
    >constantly - they're often unique and fun things, but you aren't
    >"saving" your screen with them!

    It's a historical survival, from days when screens were all
    monochrome and burnin was a big worry.

    >But, if you're a greenie, guess which function requires the most
    >power? Yup, it's a total black screen.

    Huh?

    I find that hard to believe for a CRT, andeven harder for an
    LCD screen since a total black screen turns off the backlight.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    :what Screen savers drastically improve the life of your screen. Do me
    a favor, leave a static image on your CRT monitor for a month straight.
    When the experiment is over, you will:
    a. need a new monitor
    b. use (and respect) screensvers

    --
    Sentient

    Sentient wrote:
    >:what Screen savers drastically improve the life of your screen. Do me
    > a favor, leave a static image on your CRT monitor for a month
    > straight. When the experiment is over, you will:
    > a. need a new monitor===> Wrong, gun breath
    > b. use (and respect) screensvers===> Huh?

    No, they don't. You do the experiment yourself; in a month you won't see
    any difference.
    I offer the many, many network servers which idle away at the same
    screen, sometimes more than one screen, often black/white, 24/7 or with a
    bright window centered on the screen.
    Unless it's a real old monitor, it'll be a year before you see much
    degradation and then it won't be obvious.
    The only "true" screensaver is to not light the phosphor (it's not phos
    anymore in many of them). Closer yet is to remove power from it. Most
    systems nowadays put the monitor into standby after a period of time -
    screen goes black, all is powered down except some few watts to keep
    filaments warm so they'll heat faster when needed. During the day, the
    monitor goes into standby for me; at night I hit the power switch on the
    power panel and put the monitor down for the night. Comes back fine in the
    am. NOTE: Not all systems will get along with removing power from the
    monitor while the computer itself is running; there may be a wrong
    resolution upon powering the monitor back up.
    Pop
    --
    ---
    No, I won't get dressed.