I have a ASUS IPIBL-LB motherboard in my HP running a quad core intel processor.

Tim Polodna

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I have a HP Pavilion Elite m9510f that I have already improved by adding DDR5 2GB graphics card over the oem chipset. Can I replace the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 with an I7 chipset, safely? I am getting ready to switch out the standard hard drive with a SSD for the OS and key programs and would like to up the processor as well, if I can safely. It runs 8 gig ddr2, so I don't no how much of a hindrance that will be to the overall goal of speeding things along. I'd like to do as much as I can with this board without having to buy another cabinet and board altogether and then building it scratch from the parts I like in the HP with the new and better upgrades I have in mind. If all I am going to do is create heat and unforeseen problems, I would really appreciate knowing about it before I go any further.

My next step would be to start from scratch, case, motherboard, I7, etc. But I'd like to use what I can that will work well with an upgrade. I would be interested to hear about several possible ways to go with this project.

I realize I should have just started from scratch and built my own pc, but as I didn't I'd hate to waste the use of the componets I do already have.

Thanks,

I appreciate you attempt to help a very lay person in the pursuit of smooth and rapid transfer of data on my personal main PC.

Tim
tpolodna@hotmail.com

Axl Foley

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
From algogo.com

That particular mobo....

Supports the following processors:
Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) Q9xxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale core) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield core) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (Conroe core) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core) up to E4400

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) Q9xxx processor mentioned by Axl Foley would be a major improvement over your current processor. But you may have to update the BIOS to the latest version for it to be recognized. Those processors are still found occasionally on auction sites like ebay. If fact, I just sold my Q9550 there a couple years ago.

Axl Foley

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
I concur with clutchc...

And also thanks clutchc, that is actually something I have been curious about myself...minor upgrades to my HP desktop that would give the best bang for the buck.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

My old Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard originally had a C2D E6750 in it. I had to update the BIOS to the latest version at that time for it to recognize the Q9550. But man! What a difference it made with my gfx card in games. If you have enough PSU, the card would be the first thing to upgrade, followed by the processor unless it already has a fast CPU.