Memroy isn't an option now ;(

I went to frys today and got a 512 Meg stick and put it in my system. Wow
did it crash, I also tried the exact same memory that is already in it. same
trouble. Video card reset, random system re-starts / crashes, and constant
boot to safe mode spash screen. This is the second time I have tried to get
more system memory. I have put a lot of new memory in other machines never
had this problem, on my system memory compatibility is like 0. I can play
and have 512 megs in and all is fine, the second I try to add new it gets
ugly. I may be stuck getting a new video card and hope it helps. Or I may
just get another new mother board I am not super impressed with this one
anymore its to flaky with memory..

I use ATM an ECS L4VXA2 motherboard. I am going to start looking for that
motherboard / CPU combo sale w/ something a 3+ gig I think.

I'm kinda bummed I though the Corsiar memory would work for sure. It has
Patriot brand in there now, and I have tried to use another stick of that.
still no luck. :(
14 answers Last reply
More about memroy option

    Kedrid wrote:
    > I went to frys today and got a 512 Meg stick and put it in my system. Wow
    > did it crash, I also tried the exact same memory that is already in it. same
    > trouble. Video card reset, random system re-starts / crashes, and constant
    > boot to safe mode spash screen. This is the second time I have tried to get
    > more system memory. I have put a lot of new memory in other machines never
    > had this problem, on my system memory compatibility is like 0. I can play
    > and have 512 megs in and all is fine, the second I try to add new it gets
    > ugly. I may be stuck getting a new video card and hope it helps. Or I may
    > just get another new mother board I am not super impressed with this one
    > anymore its to flaky with memory..
    >
    > I use ATM an ECS L4VXA2 motherboard. I am going to start looking for that
    > motherboard / CPU combo sale w/ something a 3+ gig I think.
    >
    > I'm kinda bummed I though the Corsiar memory would work for sure. It has
    > Patriot brand in there now, and I have tried to use another stick of that.
    > still no luck. :(

    Did you try it in every combination of slots you could? Is it trying to
    run mismatched pairs in dual channel? I was putting together a computer
    this weekend, and I put the memory in the purple slots instead of the
    green, and it would not even boot up.

    --
    Night_Seer

    The board only has 3 slots, and I was tring in it middle slot, I also tried
    outside slot and it wouldn't even boot at all. :( just got worse. thats
    honestly as far as I went with it. lol I was freakin' out watchin' my video
    card re-set video mode, and keep messin' up, so I just went back to its
    original working condition, but I also thought about just getting a 1 gig
    stick and removing the original memory and tryin' that just having had the
    cash to really get into it yet. I am more just considering getting a whole
    new motherboar and starting from scratch, as the board I have now is pretty
    old.

    prob. a stupid question but how do I check and fix if they are running
    missmatched pairs? is it a bios setting???

    In article <mHVNd.2861$mG6.2185@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com says...
    > The board only has 3 slots, and I was tring in it middle slot, I also tried
    > outside slot and it wouldn't even boot at all. :( just got worse. thats
    > honestly as far as I went with it. lol I was freakin' out watchin' my video
    > card re-set video mode, and keep messin' up, so I just went back to its
    > original working condition, but I also thought about just getting a 1 gig
    > stick and removing the original memory and tryin' that just having had the
    > cash to really get into it yet. I am more just considering getting a whole
    > new motherboar and starting from scratch, as the board I have now is pretty
    > old.
    >
    > prob. a stupid question but how do I check and fix if they are running
    > missmatched pairs? is it a bios setting???
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Kedrid wrote:
    > >> I went to frys today and got a 512 Meg stick and put it in my system. Wow
    > >> did it crash, I also tried the exact same memory that is already in it.
    > >> same trouble. Video card reset, random system re-starts / crashes, and
    > >> constant boot to safe mode spash screen. This is the second time I have
    > >> tried to get more system memory. I have put a lot of new memory in other
    > >> machines never had this problem, on my system memory compatibility is
    > >> like 0. I can play and have 512 megs in and all is fine, the second I try
    > >> to add new it gets ugly. I may be stuck getting a new video card and hope
    > >> it helps. Or I may just get another new mother board I am not super
    > >> impressed with this one anymore its to flaky with memory..
    > >>
    > >> I use ATM an ECS L4VXA2 motherboard. I am going to start looking for that
    > >> motherboard / CPU combo sale w/ something a 3+ gig I think.
    > >>
    > >> I'm kinda bummed I though the Corsiar memory would work for sure. It has
    > >> Patriot brand in there now, and I have tried to use another stick of
    > >> that. still no luck. :(
    > >>

    > > Did you try it in every combination of slots you could? Is it trying to
    > > run mismatched pairs in dual channel? I was putting together a computer
    > > this weekend, and I put the memory in the purple slots instead of the
    > > green, and it would not even boot up.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Night_Seer

    chances are, since you're using a board with only three slots, the board
    doesn't support paired chips or "dual channeling".

    have you noticed it consistently rebooting at the same point or is it
    totally random as you say? also, does it always make it to at least the
    windows load portion or will it crash at post/boot, before it makes it
    to windows load?

    /CF
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Kedrid wrote:
    > The board only has 3 slots, and I was tring in it middle slot, I also tried
    > outside slot and it wouldn't even boot at all. :( just got worse. thats
    > honestly as far as I went with it. lol I was freakin' out watchin' my video
    > card re-set video mode, and keep messin' up, so I just went back to its
    > original working condition, but I also thought about just getting a 1 gig
    > stick and removing the original memory and tryin' that just having had the
    > cash to really get into it yet. I am more just considering getting a whole
    > new motherboar and starting from scratch, as the board I have now is pretty
    > old.
    >
    > prob. a stupid question but how do I check and fix if they are running
    > missmatched pairs? is it a bios setting???
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kedrid wrote:
    >>
    >>>I went to frys today and got a 512 Meg stick and put it in my system. Wow
    >>>did it crash, I also tried the exact same memory that is already in it.
    >>>same trouble. Video card reset, random system re-starts / crashes, and
    >>>constant boot to safe mode spash screen. This is the second time I have
    >>>tried to get more system memory. I have put a lot of new memory in other
    >>>machines never had this problem, on my system memory compatibility is
    >>>like 0. I can play and have 512 megs in and all is fine, the second I try
    >>>to add new it gets ugly. I may be stuck getting a new video card and hope
    >>>it helps. Or I may just get another new mother board I am not super
    >>>impressed with this one anymore its to flaky with memory..
    >>>
    >>>I use ATM an ECS L4VXA2 motherboard. I am going to start looking for that
    >>>motherboard / CPU combo sale w/ something a 3+ gig I think.
    >>>
    >>>I'm kinda bummed I though the Corsiar memory would work for sure. It has
    >>>Patriot brand in there now, and I have tried to use another stick of
    >>>that. still no luck. :(
    >>>

    >>Did you try it in every combination of slots you could? Is it trying to
    >>run mismatched pairs in dual channel? I was putting together a computer
    >>this weekend, and I put the memory in the purple slots instead of the
    >>green, and it would not even boot up.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Night_Seer

    Just looked up your motherboard, it doesn't look like it supports dual
    channel anyways. I have heard that some motherboards don't like to mix
    single and double sided memory, so you might look into that (ask the
    person you bought the memory from (unless it was from somewhere like
    Best Buy then forget it). I honestly can't tell you.

    --
    Night_Seer
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Kedrid wrote:
    > The board only has 3 slots, and I was tring in it middle slot, I also tried
    > outside slot and it wouldn't even boot at all. :( just got worse. thats
    > honestly as far as I went with it. lol I was freakin' out watchin' my video
    > card re-set video mode, and keep messin' up, so I just went back to its
    > original working condition, but I also thought about just getting a 1 gig
    > stick and removing the original memory and tryin' that just having had the
    > cash to really get into it yet. I am more just considering getting a whole
    > new motherboar and starting from scratch, as the board I have now is pretty
    > old.
    >
    > prob. a stupid question but how do I check and fix if they are running
    > missmatched pairs? is it a bios setting???

    Might also try memtest86. Small DOS app that makes a bootable disk and
    checks each memory bit. Just fire it up and let it run and see if it
    gets errors.

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    I looked at that too. I am sure it does not support duel channel now too. so
    that wasn't the issue. It could be the single / double sided memory I have
    to double check the memory I have again but it was single as I remember and
    the Corsair was double. When I got the SAME memory as what was in it, and
    experienced the same problem as this time it could also have been double
    sided too.( it was still crashing, re-booting, and so on (BTW it was after
    it loaded windows most of the time, but once it re-boot at sign in screen
    when I put in password to log in as current user.) but was pretty random.
    one time it looked like it was working fine, then re-boot when I tried to
    start BF:Vietnam then it just re-boot my system completely, and went to a
    safe mode boot screen) I still think the solution will ultimately be just
    get a new motherboard as this one is old, and I can try later a new video
    card seeing as if I get a new motherboard I will want to just build another
    computer I can keep this one for LAN games, or make a server out of it.
    maybe run Linux or something lol. I really appreciate all the input. It is
    frustrating, but it just shows me weak points in system that I can use as an
    excuse to upgrade. BF plays ok I don't get frame rate I want but I doubt I
    ever will lol.

    > Kedrid wrote:
    >> The board only has 3 slots, and I was tring in it middle slot, I also
    >> tried outside slot and it wouldn't even boot at all. :( just got worse.
    >> thats honestly as far as I went with it. lol I was freakin' out watchin'
    >> my video card re-set video mode, and keep messin' up, so I just went back
    >> to its original working condition, but I also thought about just getting
    >> a 1 gig stick and removing the original memory and tryin' that just
    >> having had the cash to really get into it yet. I am more just considering
    >> getting a whole new motherboar and starting from scratch, as the board I
    >> have now is pretty old.
    >>
    >> prob. a stupid question but how do I check and fix if they are running
    >> missmatched pairs? is it a bios setting???
    >>

    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Did you try it in every combination of slots you could? Is it trying to
    >>>run mismatched pairs in dual channel? I was putting together a computer
    >>>this weekend, and I put the memory in the purple slots instead of the
    >>>green, and it would not even boot up.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Night_Seer
    >>

    > Just looked up your motherboard, it doesn't look like it supports dual
    > channel anyways. I have heard that some motherboards don't like to mix
    > single and double sided memory, so you might look into that (ask the
    > person you bought the memory from (unless it was from somewhere like Best
    > Buy then forget it). I honestly can't tell you.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Colonel_Flagg <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote:

    >chances are, since you're using a board with only three slots, the board
    >doesn't support paired chips or "dual channeling".

    Many of the cheaper boards have only three slots, two of them for dual
    channeling. It's rather common.

    >have you noticed it consistently rebooting at the same point or is it
    >totally random as you say? also, does it always make it to at least the
    >windows load portion or will it crash at post/boot, before it makes it
    >to windows load?

    His description sounds rather strange. If the board keeps crashing even
    with two identical memory sticks in it the idea of something fried pops
    up.

    JK'05 aka Elkrider
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > Colonel_Flagg <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote:
    >

    >>chances are, since you're using a board with only three slots, the board
    >>doesn't support paired chips or "dual channeling".
    >

    > Many of the cheaper boards have only three slots, two of them for dual
    > channeling. It's rather common.
    >

    >>have you noticed it consistently rebooting at the same point or is it
    >>totally random as you say? also, does it always make it to at least the
    >>windows load portion or will it crash at post/boot, before it makes it
    >>to windows load?
    >

    > His description sounds rather strange. If the board keeps crashing even
    > with two identical memory sticks in it the idea of something fried pops
    > up.
    >

    > JK'05 aka Elkrider

    If it is an old board, it could have bad capacitors, but that would make
    it unstable no matter what you threw at it, and he says its stable with
    one memory stick in there. Have you tried your single memory stick that
    does work in each and every slot? That will tell you if there is
    something wrong with the slot itself.

    --
    Night_Seer
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    I haven't tried to move the original memory around. No, but it's
    normally very stable. I have a flawless system until I try to add memory.
    when I go back to original 1 512 meg of the Patriot brand memory it works
    great for last 2 years or so. but again this being the second time I have
    tried to add memory, and the second time I have had the same exact symptoms
    even with same brand, or Corsair memory plus the fact when I got the
    Motherboard from Fry's electronics ( in Burbank store ) and the clerk
    telling me when I got the board it was (his exact words) "A very flaky board
    when it comes to memory, otherwise a great board" I never tended to worry
    about the board itself. That also is what made me consider just 1 stick
    single bank 1 gig memory.

    Although it has come to mind in the past that YES it could be a bad
    slot that is why I tried the third slot, and it just wouldn't even boot
    then, since I removed the newest memory yesterday I had been running /
    playing with no troubles. I have played BF, and MoH, and EQ, and Quake 3.
    Its played as always great except the original problem of on some (only)
    servers I get a little shutter ( not really game lag but more like the
    screen will freeze in BF only ) for a split second ( almost a slide show
    effect.) then go back to normal play. I have on Medal of honor all setting
    maxed. 1024 X 768 res. I never skip a beat. (well on really crowded servers
    I might experience the "slide show a little" but not a game freeze effect
    more like a skipped frame feeling. Again this is only on crowded servers
    with less then 10 ppl. I will normally be one of top 4 players, and have
    great game.

    Now I do have another slight problem on BF:Vietnam that I hadn't
    mentioned but hasn't happened in a while either, but I have in the past had
    "Game only" crash when I was in dog fight in a chopper which machine guns
    blazing from both choppers. I am not sure if crash is actually correct here
    as what happens is total game freeze. that's it. game over full freeze.
    Ctr-alt-del is only way to recover. Its all about end process, then windows
    lil error report window comes up, I send or don't send and that it. I do
    also BTW have all the most recent updated audio / video / MB drivers. I
    check regularly. That is what made me think not enough memory, but slow FPS
    keeps drawing me into Video card. I have been saving for a bit and I AM
    getting some upgrade. With memory problems now I am leaning to video card
    after reading a bit in toms hardware guide....

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-04.html

    After seeing my card with others I tell myself it's poor FPS. I really like
    these newsgroups though especially all the help. I appreciate it. thanks
    again.

    > Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    >> Colonel_Flagg <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote:
    >>

    >>>chances are, since you're using a board with only three slots, the board
    >>>doesn't support paired chips or "dual channeling".
    >>

    >> Many of the cheaper boards have only three slots, two of them for dual
    >> channeling. It's rather common.
    >>

    >>>have you noticed it consistently rebooting at the same point or is it
    >>>totally random as you say? also, does it always make it to at least the
    >>>windows load portion or will it crash at post/boot, before it makes it to
    >>>windows load?
    >>

    >> His description sounds rather strange. If the board keeps crashing even
    >> with two identical memory sticks in it the idea of something fried pops
    >> up.
    >>

    >> JK'05 aka Elkrider
    >
    > If it is an old board, it could have bad capacitors, but that would make
    > it unstable no matter what you threw at it, and he says its stable with
    > one memory stick in there. Have you tried your single memory stick that
    > does work in each and every slot? That will tell you if there is
    > something wrong with the slot itself.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
    >I looked at that too. I am sure it does not support duel channel now too.
    >so that wasn't the issue. It could be the single / double sided memory I
    >have to double check the memory I have again but it was single as I
    >remember and the Corsair was double. When I got the SAME memory as what was
    >in it, and experienced the same problem as this time it could also have
    >been double sided too.( it was still crashing, re-booting, and so on (BTW
    >it was after it loaded windows most of the time, but once it re-boot at
    >sign in screen when I put in password to log in as current user.) but was
    >pretty random. one time it looked like it was working fine, then re-boot
    >when I tried to start BF:Vietnam then it just re-boot my system completely,
    >and went to a safe mode boot screen) I still think the solution will
    >ultimately be just get a new motherboard as this one is old, and I can try
    >later a new video card seeing as if I get a new motherboard I will want to
    >just build another computer I can keep this one for LAN games, or make a
    >server out of it. maybe run Linux or something lol. I really appreciate all
    >the input. It is frustrating, but it just shows me weak points in system
    >that I can use as an excuse to upgrade. BF plays ok I don't get frame rate
    >I want but I doubt I ever will lol.
    >

    >snip<

    Your first mistake is buying anything at Frye's IMO.

    Got a funky motherboard that's finicky on memory?

    Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!

    Remember that when you add memory, hard drives etc. it puts more demand on
    your PSU. Make sure that you have enough wattage.

    What's the DOM (Date Of Manufacture) of your motherboard and/or PSU? ECS
    (EliteGroup) motherboards are known for their bad CAPS (capacitors) from
    around a DOM in 2001 to 2003. Abit too, in fact rumor around the net is that
    there was almost a class action lawsuit against Abit. Or for that matter
    anything made in Taiwan from that date period.

    Just look for bulging/leaking capacitor tops on the motherboard & PSU.

    I've had many AMD/Via/SiS chipset motherboards that are very fussy on the
    memory, (exact same problems that you describe).

    Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!

    Over & Out!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    <snip>
    > What's the DOM (Date Of Manufacture) of your motherboard and/or PSU? ECS (EliteGroup)
    > motherboards are known for their bad CAPS (capacitors) from around a DOM in 2001 to
    > 2003. Abit too, in fact rumor around the net is that there was almost a class action
    > lawsuit against Abit. Or for that matter anything made in Taiwan from that date period.
    >
    > Just look for bulging/leaking capacitor tops on the motherboard & PSU.
    <snip>

    Yeah I had that happen on an Epox board.
    The 'puter got unstable as hell and I couldn't find out why ... until I opened the case :)

    ShutEye
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    AWOL wrote:
    > "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I looked at that too. I am sure it does not support duel channel now too.
    >>so that wasn't the issue. It could be the single / double sided memory I
    >>have to double check the memory I have again but it was single as I
    >>remember and the Corsair was double. When I got the SAME memory as what was
    >>in it, and experienced the same problem as this time it could also have
    >>been double sided too.( it was still crashing, re-booting, and so on (BTW
    >>it was after it loaded windows most of the time, but once it re-boot at
    >>sign in screen when I put in password to log in as current user.) but was
    >>pretty random. one time it looked like it was working fine, then re-boot
    >>when I tried to start BF:Vietnam then it just re-boot my system completely,
    >>and went to a safe mode boot screen) I still think the solution will
    >>ultimately be just get a new motherboard as this one is old, and I can try
    >>later a new video card seeing as if I get a new motherboard I will want to
    >>just build another computer I can keep this one for LAN games, or make a
    >>server out of it. maybe run Linux or something lol. I really appreciate all
    >>the input. It is frustrating, but it just shows me weak points in system
    >>that I can use as an excuse to upgrade. BF plays ok I don't get frame rate
    >>I want but I doubt I ever will lol.
    >>

    >>snip<
    >

    > Your first mistake is buying anything at Frye's IMO.
    >
    > Got a funky motherboard that's finicky on memory?
    >
    > Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >
    > Remember that when you add memory, hard drives etc. it puts more demand on
    > your PSU. Make sure that you have enough wattage.
    >
    > What's the DOM (Date Of Manufacture) of your motherboard and/or PSU? ECS
    > (EliteGroup) motherboards are known for their bad CAPS (capacitors) from
    > around a DOM in 2001 to 2003. Abit too, in fact rumor around the net is that
    > there was almost a class action lawsuit against Abit. Or for that matter
    > anything made in Taiwan from that date period.
    >
    > Just look for bulging/leaking capacitor tops on the motherboard & PSU.
    >
    > I've had many AMD/Via/SiS chipset motherboards that are very fussy on the
    > memory, (exact same problems that you describe).
    >
    > Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >
    > Over & Out!

    Actually, there was a class action suit against Abit, even thought they
    were the only ones acknowledging the problem. So basically Abit loses
    the suit, and puts in to place a repair & replace policy. Oh but wait,
    its the same policy they had in place BEFORE the suit was filed or won.
    I wonder why no other manufacturer was forced to do the same? My MSI
    was broken by bad caps. So were lots of other brands.

    --
    Night_Seer
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > AWOL wrote:
    >> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I looked at that too. I am sure it does not support duel channel now
    >>>too. so that wasn't the issue. It could be the single / double sided
    >>>memory I have to double check the memory I have again but it was
    >>>single as I remember and the Corsair was double. When I got the SAME
    >>>memory as what was in it, and experienced the same problem as this
    >>>time it could also have been double sided too.( it was still
    >>>crashing, re-booting, and so on (BTW it was after it loaded windows
    >>>most of the time, but once it re-boot at sign in screen when I put in
    >>>password to log in as current user.) but was pretty random. one time
    >>>it looked like it was working fine, then re-boot when I tried to
    >>>start BF:Vietnam then it just re-boot my system completely, and went
    >>>to a safe mode boot screen) I still think the solution will
    >>>ultimately be just get a new motherboard as this one is old, and I
    >>>can try later a new video card seeing as if I get a new motherboard I
    >>>will want to just build another computer I can keep this one for LAN
    >>>games, or make a server out of it. maybe run Linux or something lol.
    >>>I really appreciate all the input. It is frustrating, but it just
    >>>shows me weak points in system that I can use as an excuse to
    >>>upgrade. BF plays ok I don't get frame rate I want but I doubt I ever
    >>>will lol.
    >>>

    >>>snip<
    >>

    >> Your first mistake is buying anything at Frye's IMO.
    >>
    >> Got a funky motherboard that's finicky on memory?
    >>
    >> Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >>
    >> Remember that when you add memory, hard drives etc. it puts more
    >> demand on your PSU. Make sure that you have enough wattage.
    >>
    >> What's the DOM (Date Of Manufacture) of your motherboard and/or PSU?
    >> ECS (EliteGroup) motherboards are known for their bad CAPS
    >> (capacitors) from around a DOM in 2001 to 2003. Abit too, in fact
    >> rumor around the net is that there was almost a class action lawsuit
    >> against Abit. Or for that matter anything made in Taiwan from that
    >> date period.
    >>
    >> Just look for bulging/leaking capacitor tops on the motherboard &
    >> PSU.
    >>
    >> I've had many AMD/Via/SiS chipset motherboards that are very fussy on
    >> the memory, (exact same problems that you describe).
    >>
    >> Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >>
    >> Over & Out!
    >>

    > Actually, there was a class action suit against Abit, even thought
    > they were the only ones acknowledging the problem. So basically Abit
    > loses the suit, and puts in to place a repair & replace policy. Oh
    > but wait, its the same policy they had in place BEFORE the suit was
    > filed or won.
    > I wonder why no other manufacturer was forced to do the same? My
    > MSI
    > was broken by bad caps. So were lots of other brands.

    Just buy a Dell.
    I have no hardware problems :)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    DB wrote:
    > Night_Seer <ecamacho4@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >>AWOL wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message

    >>>Your first mistake is buying anything at Frye's IMO.
    >>>
    >>>Got a funky motherboard that's finicky on memory?
    >>>
    >>>Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >>>
    >>>Remember that when you add memory, hard drives etc. it puts more
    >>>demand on your PSU. Make sure that you have enough wattage.
    >>>
    >>>What's the DOM (Date Of Manufacture) of your motherboard and/or PSU?
    >>>ECS (EliteGroup) motherboards are known for their bad CAPS
    >>>(capacitors) from around a DOM in 2001 to 2003. Abit too, in fact
    >>>rumor around the net is that there was almost a class action lawsuit
    >>>against Abit. Or for that matter anything made in Taiwan from that
    >>>date period.
    >>>
    >>>Just look for bulging/leaking capacitor tops on the motherboard &
    >>>PSU.
    >>>
    >>>I've had many AMD/Via/SiS chipset motherboards that are very fussy on
    >>>the memory, (exact same problems that you describe).
    >>>
    >>>Go to http://www.crucial.com for the right stuff!
    >>>
    >>>Over & Out!
    >>>

    >>Actually, there was a class action suit against Abit, even thought
    >>they were the only ones acknowledging the problem. So basically Abit
    >>loses the suit, and puts in to place a repair & replace policy. Oh
    >>but wait, its the same policy they had in place BEFORE the suit was
    >>filed or won.
    >> I wonder why no other manufacturer was forced to do the same? My
    >> MSI
    >>was broken by bad caps. So were lots of other brands.
    >>

    > Just buy a Dell.
    > I have no hardware problems :)

    Have you ever TRIED talking to dell customer service...consider yourself
    lucky if you haven't.

    --
    Night_Seer

World Of Warcraft Memory Video Games