XP Registry

January 31, 2005 1:16:16 AM

Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???

The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
= Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.

In the current schema, Part1 & Part2 seems to be sharing their registry,
which is incompatible with the idea of having a partition for the serious
work and other just for fun!

Thanks every body!

More about : registry

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:16:17 AM

"Marcelo Mazini" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
>used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a series of files (one per key)
in system32\config under the Windows directory.

HKEY_USERS is all the NTUSER.DAT files in the various
users' "Documents and Settings" folders.

source: WINDOWS XP ANNOYANCES FOR GEEKS
For details, see http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry

>The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
>= Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
>Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.

AFAIK there's only one registry. HKEY_CURRENT_USER is identical
to the HKEY_USERS subbranch for the, um, current user. The
number of disks or partitions doesn't have any bearing.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:21:19 AM

I appreciate all help I receive, but I don't think it works:

What have happened is that for the configuration described, each new
program added to Part1, has the same entry copied to Part2, and the same
occurs when writing to Part2, despite both partitions where placed in a
different region, having in common just Part3, with "C:\Documents and
Settings\..." stored in C: (in Partx), which in instance is HIDED by the
boot manager (I have two C: drives, Part1 & Part2, one at a time).

In other means: when 1 is active, 2 is hidden. When 2 is active, 1 is
hidden! In no circumstances they should see each other: fun and work should
never meet one another! But they do!

That's the face of my trouble!

!