Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a quiet CPU cooler

Last response: in Components
October 9, 2012 3:10:57 PM

Hey, guys. You all seem to have good advice, so how about throwing some of it my way? :D 

I need a CPU cooler for the AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition 965 @3.4GHz that will keep it at least as cool as the stock cooler but be silent.

I just can't stand playing Crysis 2 or even browsing the internet or something and all I can hear is this vaccuum cleaner of a CPU cooler!

So, in advance, thanks.

P.S. I have been eyeballing this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
I am having second thoughts on it, though.

More about : quiet cpu cooler

Best solution

a c 309 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:30:04 PM

The only way you can get a SILENT cooler is to use a large passive unit. Even that will need some amount of case airflow to give you decent cooling.

I think you mean quiet, which is entirely different. quiet means that you will not notice any noise at normal distances. The noise from a cooler comes from the fan, and how fast the fan is spinning. At 900 rpm, and perhaps up to 1100 rpm, you will not notice the sound. To get that, look for a cooler with a 120mm or 140mm fan.

Also, the tower type coolers will be more effective than the downdraft cooler type that you linked.
That is because they push the hot air more directly towards the case exhausts.

The cm hyper212 series will do that at a reasonable $30.
For the very best @$90 or so, look for the noctua NH-D14 or phanteks which use slow turning 140mm fans.
Related resources
October 9, 2012 3:33:15 PM

Best answer selected by MrKerfuffle.
m
l
October 9, 2012 3:35:22 PM

geofelt said:
The only way you can get a SILENT cooler is to use a large passive unit. Even that will need some amount of case airflow to give you decent cooling.

I think you mean quiet, which is entirely different. quiet means that you will not notice any noise at normal distances. The noise from a cooler comes from the fan, and how fast the fan is spinning. At 900 rpm, and perhaps up to 1100 rpm, you will not notice the sound. To get that, look for a cooler with a 120mm or 140mm fan.

Also, the tower type coolers will be more effective than the downdraft cooler type that you linked.
That is because they push the hot air more directly towards the case exhausts.

The cm hyper212 series will do that at a reasonable $30.
For the very best @$90 or so, look for the noctua NH-D14 or phanteks which use slow turning 140mm fans.

Ha! Yeah, I do mean quiet. Like, a hum because I sit right next to it. Everyone seems to be dead set on the Hyper 212 plus. I think I'll go with that. Thanks!
m
l
!