Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Core 2 Quad @ 2.66Ghz (Bottlenecking my VGA?)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bottleneck
  • HD
  • VGA
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 9, 2012 3:31:31 PM

Hi, i have a question. Is my CPU bottlenecking my VGA? My video card is a Sapphire HD 6870.
Im getting low frames rates on max payne 3 even if my AA's are off. (Anti-Aliasing).
My Procie is an ancient Core 2 Quad @2.66ghz.(Q8400). And when i run games, the cpu's temperatures reach about 90degrees celcius.

Is my CPU bottlenecking the performance of HD 6870 card? I know HD 6870 is not a high end card but based from reviews, i know it can deliver. Thank you!

More about : core quad 66ghz bottlenecking vga

a c 157 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:05:30 PM

Actually, it sounds like your CPU is overheating and then down-clocking itself to prevent damage.

What kind of heatsink are you using?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:13:08 PM

Stock heat sinks sir. Is cooler master TX 3 Evo a good replacement for my cpu cooler?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:22:05 PM

It's a great replacement.It will lower your CPU's temperature by at least 15 degreese Celcius.And if that's not enough you should consider opening your case to increae airflow.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:25:34 PM

does my cpu's high temps affecting my performance?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:27:03 PM

no, it can only make your cpu either downclock which would make noticable fps lag, or your system shuts down. A heatsink upgrade would always be welcomed by a cpu :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:31:46 PM

ifreakyftw said:
no, it can only make your cpu either downclock which would make noticable fps lag, or your system shuts down. A heatsink upgrade would always be welcomed by a cpu :) 



I am experiencing FPS lags. So you're saying that my high CPU temps might be the cause?
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:36:21 PM

Yes, high CPU temps can affect GPU performance and cause the lags. Yours is running too hot.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:39:08 PM

Could you provide more information on to how hot your cpu gets? With I.e Core Temp, or HWMonitor?
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 4:42:15 PM

ifreakyftw said:
Could you provide more information on to how hot your cpu gets? With I.e Core Temp, or HWMonitor?

The OP indicated hitting 90C in the original post to the thread. If accurate, that is indeed part of the problem. Using the OEM Intel Heatsink (likely dirty with old thermal compound) is also a potential issue with the overall problem.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:54:39 PM

is RealTemp 3.70 temperature monitoring app accurate? that's the software i used to monitor my CPU temps under load.
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 10, 2012 12:44:59 AM

No, those temps are not normal. In fact, they are very high. You really need to consider a new heatsink at the very least.

As this is an older rig, you need to examine the cleanliness of the inside of your system and you should verify that all case fans are actually working as well.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:57:39 AM

COLGeek said:
No, those temps are not normal. In fact, they are very high. You really need to consider a new heatsink at the very least.

As this is an older rig, you need to examine the cleanliness of the inside of your system and you should verify that all case fans are actually working as well.


If I get a Cooler Master TX3 Evo for my CPU would it also lessen my MOBO's temperatures?
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 10, 2012 3:34:40 AM

Yes, it will help.
m
0
l
October 11, 2012 5:38:29 AM

COLGeek said:
Yes, it will help.



If my CPU's temps go down, will it now give me higher frame rates?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 157 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 11:25:11 AM

If the system is stable, then yes you will get consistently higher frame rates. Also, once stable (and operating at safe temps), you can tweak your settings for optimal performance.
Share
October 11, 2012 2:02:36 PM

COLGeek said:
If the system is stable, then yes you will get consistently higher frame rates. Also, once stable (and operating at safe temps), you can tweak your settings for optimal performance.



Thank you COLgeek! I now have a Hyper 212 Evo TURBO and my temps are significantly lower! Check this out ---- https://www.dropbox.com/s/839fsdup3ffkk32/Temps.PNG

Thanks for your help! :)  I hope I'll have better frame rates now :) 
m
0
l
October 11, 2012 2:06:48 PM

Best answer selected by RamjoTejada.
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 2:07:26 PM

The Hyper 212 series of heatsinks are great! I use and recommend them often. Those temps look MUCH better!

Have you noticed any better stability yet?

m
0
l
October 12, 2012 2:40:23 AM

COLGeek said:
The Hyper 212 series of heatsinks are great! I use and recommend them often. Those temps look MUCH better!

Have you noticed any better stability yet?



Yes, my temps dont go beyond 46 degrees celcius at full load (gaming). This is very good cooler and i got it for only 37$ and its dual fan already. Such a good buy. thanks COLgeek!
m
0
l
a c 157 à CPUs
October 12, 2012 2:42:57 AM

You did good. Have fun!
m
0
l
!