Solved

Core 2 Quad @ 2.66Ghz (Bottlenecking my VGA?)

Hi, i have a question. Is my CPU bottlenecking my VGA? My video card is a Sapphire HD 6870.
Im getting low frames rates on max payne 3 even if my AA's are off. (Anti-Aliasing).
My Procie is an ancient Core 2 Quad @2.66ghz.(Q8400). And when i run games, the cpu's temperatures reach about 90degrees celcius.

Is my CPU bottlenecking the performance of HD 6870 card? I know HD 6870 is not a high end card but based from reviews, i know it can deliver. Thank you!
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core quad 66ghz bottlenecking
  1. Actually, it sounds like your CPU is overheating and then down-clocking itself to prevent damage.

What kind of heatsink are you using?
  2. Stock heat sinks sir. Is cooler master TX 3 Evo a good replacement for my cpu cooler?
  3. It's a great replacement.It will lower your CPU's temperature by at least 15 degreese Celcius.And if that's not enough you should consider opening your case to increae airflow.
  4. does my cpu's high temps affecting my performance?
  5. no, it can only make your cpu either downclock which would make noticable fps lag, or your system shuts down. A heatsink upgrade would always be welcomed by a cpu :)
  6. ifreakyftw said:
    no, it can only make your cpu either downclock which would make noticable fps lag, or your system shuts down. A heatsink upgrade would always be welcomed by a cpu :)

I am experiencing FPS lags. So you're saying that my high CPU temps might be the cause?
  7. Yes, high CPU temps can affect GPU performance and cause the lags. Yours is running too hot.
  8. Could you provide more information on to how hot your cpu gets? With I.e Core Temp, or HWMonitor?
  9. ifreakyftw said:
    Could you provide more information on to how hot your cpu gets? With I.e Core Temp, or HWMonitor?

The OP indicated hitting 90C in the original post to the thread. If accurate, that is indeed part of the problem. Using the OEM Intel Heatsink (likely dirty with old thermal compound) is also a potential issue with the overall problem.
  10. is RealTemp 3.70 temperature monitoring app accurate? that's the software i used to monitor my CPU temps under load.
  11. Try hwmonitor and see what it reports. Get it at:

http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html
  12. COLGeek said:
    Try hwmonitor and see what it reports. Get it at:

http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnp1xuxvo6rxfrf/Capture.PNG

I took a screen shot of my HWmonitor results. Please take a look.
    I noticed also that the CPU's heatsink is not hot,so i guess the heat is not being transferred.

is my motherboard's temperature normal?
  13. No, those temps are not normal. In fact, they are very high. You really need to consider a new heatsink at the very least.

As this is an older rig, you need to examine the cleanliness of the inside of your system and you should verify that all case fans are actually working as well.
  14. COLGeek said:
    No, those temps are not normal. In fact, they are very high. You really need to consider a new heatsink at the very least.

As this is an older rig, you need to examine the cleanliness of the inside of your system and you should verify that all case fans are actually working as well.

If I get a Cooler Master TX3 Evo for my CPU would it also lessen my MOBO's temperatures?
  15. Yes, it will help.
  16. COLGeek said:
    Yes, it will help.

If my CPU's temps go down, will it now give me higher frame rates?
  17. Best answer
    If the system is stable, then yes you will get consistently higher frame rates. Also, once stable (and operating at safe temps), you can tweak your settings for optimal performance.
  18. COLGeek said:
    If the system is stable, then yes you will get consistently higher frame rates. Also, once stable (and operating at safe temps), you can tweak your settings for optimal performance.

Thank you COLgeek! I now have a Hyper 212 Evo TURBO and my temps are significantly lower! Check this out ---- https://www.dropbox.com/s/839fsdup3ffkk32/Temps.PNG

Thanks for your help! :) I hope I'll have better frame rates now :)
  19. Best answer selected by RamjoTejada.
  20. The Hyper 212 series of heatsinks are great! I use and recommend them often. Those temps look MUCH better!

Have you noticed any better stability yet?
  21. COLGeek said:
    The Hyper 212 series of heatsinks are great! I use and recommend them often. Those temps look MUCH better!

Have you noticed any better stability yet?

Yes, my temps dont go beyond 46 degrees celcius at full load (gaming). This is very good cooler and i got it for only 37$ and its dual fan already. Such a good buy. thanks COLgeek!
  22. You did good. Have fun!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck HD VGA